Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Main & big end bearings - when to replace?
thepest

posted on 6/6/12 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Main & big end bearings - when to replace?

As per the subject, any guides to this?
britishtrident

posted on 6/6/12 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Because they are generously sized and get a copious oil supply it is very rare for mains to show much wear unless there has been a major lubrication problem.
Big end bearings are another matter generally on older types of engines at anything over 50,00 miles the big ends will show signs of wear. Visual examination of bearing and journal for wear and scoring , check the journal for ovality with a micrometer or digital calliper, check the bearing clearance by measuring the crush on a short length of soft electronic solder.

Really best to treat big ends as a service item if you have the bottom end stripped and the big ends have been in for a while change the big ends.

[Edited on 6/6/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

thepest

posted on 6/6/12 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Was thinking the same and ordering me a set of new big end and mains:

Anyone used this supplier? AutobulbsUK

Selling Vandervell VP2 bearings

clairetoo

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
The problem (I found) with thise heavy duty shells is that they are so tough they dont wear - but the crank does , so rather than just replace the shells in the future , you will need a re-grind while the shells will be fine .
I was told only to use those on a steel crank .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I always understood VP2 to be the VEY best bearings, the holy grail.
However, they did change a few years ago, when vandervell were taken over. But for my old cars, I would pay serious cash for a set of old VP2's. They were lead/copper and not tin/ali that most seem to be. However, because they are higher quality, I think they are often labelled heavy duty? Certainly the King (brand) lead/copper bearings I had to satisfied with were labelled heavy duty. But the tin/ali ones are a harder material.

But of course, if the engine is apart, it is wise to replace the big ends if there is any sign of wear.

[Edited on 6/6/12 by cliftyhanger]

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'd replace them a) if the engine was already stripped down as you might aswell do it then than later b) if the oil pressure was very poor and didn't reach the factory pressure ranges c) if there was clunking going on when you took you foot off the throttle d) if there was lots of white metal in the oil during oil changes

The main bearings are usually quite cheap if a slight ball ache to get the right clearences but really a straightforward task and way better to do early than wait till the crank needs reground

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 6/6/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Big ends + a new oil pump will pay off a more than big ends + mains.

The wear in an oil pump can be difficult to measure but it makes a big difference to the oil flow rate particularly important when cold.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

thepest

posted on 6/6/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Found me a set locally of New old stock Vandervell VP2 mains, ordered a set of Vandervell VP2 big end (NOS).

Re the oil pump, hmm pressures were always top noch IE 60psi (limited by the pump) when warmed up pressures were at 45psi idleing at 900rpm, pressure rising with increase in revs. Is there any way to check flow rate?

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/6/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thepest
Found me a set locally of New old stock Vandervell VP2 mains, ordered a set of Vandervell VP2 big end (NOS).

Re the oil pump, hmm pressures were always top noch IE 60psi (limited by the pump) when warmed up pressures were at 45psi idleing at 900rpm, pressure rising with increase in revs. Is there any way to check flow rate?

The flow rate is not measured and would be difficult to measure without a test setup. If the engine is in bits do make sure you flush all the oil passages as they do get restricted with varnish over time. I use flushing oil during oil changes to reduce this, does make a huge difference to the cleanliness of the metal surfaces inside

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.