Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 oil smell
Fizzer

posted on 6/6/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 oil smell

Hi All,
just bought a 57 plate mk3 folding hard top. It drives amazingly well, I can see why so many kit owners have also had a sniff at these things. It's a really nice drive.

Anyhow, there are a couple of things I need to sort out.
There's a burning oil smell in the cabin after a few miles (worse after 'brisk' driving) I've done some googling and found a lot of info about this for Mk2 and Mk1 cars (cas sensor, crank case vents, leaky rocker cover, cracked gearstick gaitors etc.)

Can't seem to find anything definitive for the MK3 though, so does anyone have any hints before I start having a poke around?

Needs new disks as the pedal is pulsing *very* slightly, enough to annoy.

Also, is there any way to turn off the passenger seat belt alarm? There's a bottom detecting switch in the passenger seat which also detects the following:

work laptop
gym kit
bottle of milk+6 eggs

I've done some tests; a bottle of milk is OK, but add 1/2 doz. eggs and go down a bumpy road and the alarm starts up like Mike Oldfield in a washing machine. Handy.

PSpirine

posted on 6/6/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
The obvious first thing to look for is seeping oil from the rocker cover making its way down to the exhaust manifold.

After that I'd be looking for a crankcase vent leak somewhere. Given the amount of pipes in a modern engine bay, just get a white rag, and wipe over anything that looks like it has vacuum going through it.. you'll instantly see where there's an oil leak!

Can't help with the seatbelt minder sensor - when did cars start having these as mandatory? Nonsense if you ask me.. If you can't or don't want to put on your seatbelt, that's your own damn fault!

However.. the Cypriot solution to it (most taken out from Mercedes Taxis), in descending order of ease/relevance:

1) Plug the seatbelt in, but run it behind the seat.

2) Get an old seatbelt, and cut the buckle off it, and just plug that in. You can remove it when required and store it in your cubby box.

3) Disconnect the speaker. Tends to be somewhere around the instrument cluster. (Un)fortunately on modern cars this will also stop the beeping for engine warnings and low fuel etc.

pewe

posted on 6/6/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
There's small multi-plug under the passenger seat (IIRC one of two - the other one is for the seat speakers) worth unplugging that to see if it deactivates the buzzer.
If it's the same as my Mk1 the buzzer is tucked up under the dashboard to the right of the steering column and is the one closest to the bulkhead.

My oil smell was caused by a crack in the cambelt cover just below the left-hand top of the cylinder head next to one of the bolt holes.
Fixed it by using a couple of pop-rivets to hold an ali plate over the crack and then scored the surrounding plastic (middle part of the front cover is plastic) and applied JB Weld - job done.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10
PS is it my imagination or is this Forum turning into a sanctuary for MX5 owners?

Morcus vv yes I think you are correct - lots more sensible' informed advice on here. I had a major electrical fault on mine recently and the best advise from one of the specific MX5 forums was to check it with a multi-meter - like I didn't already know what that was!!

[Edited on 6/6/12 by pewe]

blakep82

posted on 6/6/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
put stuff in the footwell?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

morcus

posted on 6/6/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
We do seem to be all getting Mx5's, I can't help with your problems, my seat belt thing is just a light so I just ignor it.

I think the reason we're all asking questions here though is in my limited experience, I get much better answers and people here not only know what they're on about but generally have alot of patience.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.