Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: downloading gmails permanently to outlook
andrew-theasby

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
downloading gmails permanently to outlook

Hi could any of the computer experts on here please offer some advise on a problem im having with my e-mails please.
I have 2 email addresses, 1 i use for general stuff and one for job applications and important stuff, i generally preview them on my phone most days, then maybe once a week download them on the pc and keep what i want.
The tiscali one, i view on the Email app on my phone, but no matter what i do when i look on the pc, they all come through and remove themselves from my phone, even if ive deleted them already on my phone, they come to the pc which is exactly what i want!
The problem is that the the Gmail is viewed on the Gmail app (samsung galaxy s2 android) but whenever i download them they stay on the phone, and id like it to automatically delete like the other account does.
I think the problem is that the tiscali only views them from the server, and outlook downloads them and removes them from the server, whereas i think the gmail app must download them from the server but also leave a copy there, ive checked outlook settings and it definitely doesnt leave a copy there so the app must be downloading them and i dont know how to change it to only preview them, any suggestions?

cerbera

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
if you go to your gmail settings and select the tab titled 'Forwarding and POP?IMAP' there's a section under POP download which gives you the option to delete from gmail when downloaded via POP.

I think yours will currently be set to 'Keep Google mails copy in the inbox'

HTH

andrew-theasby

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Where would i find the gmail settings? Under the settings i have there is very few choices, and that isnt one of them.
cerbera

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
From Gmail in the web browser click the cog icon.

[Edited on 6/6/12 by cerbera]

Jubal

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me, I would just set the phone to keep only the last 7 days of mail and forget about it. You've nailed the reason I reckon as the phone is keeping a local copy. The gmail app on the phone must have a setting on how many days mail to sync/keep.

The reason the tiscali email behaves differently is because the phone is syncing with the server each time you check email. Hence, when deleted off the server it deletes off the phone. What you could therefore do is set up gmail on the phone in the same way you did tiscali mail. i.e. ignore the built in gmail app and set it up manually as pop3. That way it will be exactly the same behaviour and when you use the PC to download (and delete mail from the server) they will be deleted from the phone next time you sync.

Hopefully )

mookaloid

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
one of the good things about gmail is that there is always a copy of your email on the gmail server. that way when your pc dies (and it will because they always do sooner or later) then you don't lose all your precious emails.

Whilst you can do what cerbera says I would be wary of deleting all my emails from the gmail server for that reason and live with the way it works now. in fact I would take tiscali off my phone and use gmail to access my tiscali account and read all my tiscali emails through gmail and bin off outlook altogether thereby keeping my emails in one place - online and completely independant on any single hard drive which is just about to fail.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

cerbera

posted on 6/6/12 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
one of the good things about gmail is that there is always a copy of your email on the gmail server. that way when your pc dies (and it will because they always do sooner or later) then you don't lose all your precious emails.

Whilst you can do what cerbera says I would be wary of deleting all my emails from the gmail server for that reason and live with the way it works now. in fact I would take tiscali off my phone and use gmail to access my tiscali account and read all my tiscali emails through gmail and bin off outlook altogether thereby keeping my emails in one place - online and completely independant on any single hard drive which is just about to fail.

I agree and that's exactly what I do, albeit with my yahoo account not Tiscali.

britishtrident

posted on 7/6/12 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
The killer Android app for Email is K9 mail it will sync server deletions which is what I think is exactly what you are looking for, it will also handle more than one account so you could handle both your Gmail and Tiscali Accounts with one app however I would be wary of this and run a few tests before using in anger as depending on outgoing server settings Gmail can show up as outgoing address on both accounts.

http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 7/6/12 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember one of the things that gmail used to promote was the fact that you never have to delete an email again.

Personally I would also do what Cerbera said, I have no faith in Outlook to be able to keep emails. Even barring hardware failures I've had a few too many .ost files get corrupted and lose stuff. Thankfully it's only work emails so they're not that important...

britishtrident

posted on 7/6/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
For a home or business PC Mozilla Thunderbird takes a bit of beating it is easy to use it is easy to use Mozbackup to create back-ups or transfer accounts between machines.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.