Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lock your doors when you're at home...
McLannahan

posted on 10/6/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lock your doors when you're at home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NSvrtmGMmUI

Horribly frightening for the poor people concerned...

We don't have one of those nice doors that lock from the outside automatically but then I have fairly crap cars too...but it does make you think!

tegwin

posted on 10/6/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I guess leaving your car keys lying about is not a good idea... My keys and wallet are always stashed away incase someone wanders in...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Andi

posted on 10/6/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I guess leaving your car keys lying about is not a good idea... My keys and wallet are always stashed away incase someone wanders in...

Makes you wonder what they would do if they couldnt find your keys though.. Thoroughly nasty s**ts.
Its a shame but, a door is for opening, closing and locking with all these scum bags about.

Andi

coyoteboy

posted on 11/6/12 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
Not exactly common, lets not knee-jerk react to this sort of thing that has happened for the last 20 years that I'm aware of at least! Of course if you're not near enough to hear the door open then lock it, just common sense surely? We never use our front door anyway and usually lock the rear as soon as we walk in.
A1

posted on 11/6/12 at 04:28 AM Reply With Quote
I must say, theres no point in hiding locked up in your house because the odd shitty incident happens... what happens if they come through the window? board them up too?
40inches

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest I would have given them the keys, not worth having your(or family members) head caved in by a crowbar just for a car

MikeRJ

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Unless I thought I stood no chance whatsoever I think I'd find it very difficult to restrain myself. I'd rather suffer a few injuries and take one of these scrotes down than let them get away with walking into my home and threatening my family.
MakeEverything

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Unless I thought I stood no chance whatsoever I think I'd find it very difficult to restrain myself. I'd rather suffer a few injuries and take one of these scrotes down than let them get away with walking into my home and threatening my family.

I agree, im not sure they would have walked out in the same condition they walked in.

"Well m'lud, they said they were going to kill me if i didnt give them the keys, then he came at me".

Shysters.

Were quite good on security, but now the council are turning all the street lights off after midnight, its only a matter of time.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

swanny

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

i know what you mean, but even minor scuffles can have some pretty serious consequences. i lost a friend at 25 after a guy landed a single, not very serious punch on him, in his own house and he died a few days later. his little lad will never remember his dad.

my wife used to work for the head injuries charity Headway and some people there had relatively minor bumps only to find that damage had been done that had serious long terms effects that caused peoples personality to change and relationships to fail etc.

unless i thought the family were actually in danger i'd be giving them the keys and saying a little prayer hoping they kill themselves while they were in it.
paul

balidey

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Worth getting a spare set of keys and leaving them by your front door, but not actually for your car.
Those muppets on the video struggled with the real keys. If you gave away a set of dummy keys you have enough time to (go to the kitchen and get the biggest knife you can find) call the police and give them a description

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/6/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
hmm I know my four dogs would go totally insane if a stranger just walked into the house, it would be a very risky thing to do, start waving a crowbar and that's like a red cape!

I mind my dads bull dog took several people to prise it off a friend who stupidly jumped over the back fence rather than go to the front door it just wanted to bite through his arm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 11/6/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Don't most people lock their doors when they're at home? I know out in the middle of nowhere it's a bit different but in town / city centres?
adithorp

posted on 11/6/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
So you're so security aware that you have CCTV but don't think to lock the door?
Mine is always locked (on a Yale only when I'm in). Even with modern doors, if they don't lock easy (my dads won't open from outside once the handle has been lifted from inside) then all you need is a chain/lock-bar fitting.

Like Whippy, I wouldn't fancy thier chances with the dog and I suspect that they'd be leaving with a bit more urgency than those to showed. If not, I might save on his food for a couple of days, though smack-heads tend not to have much meat on them. Failing that, I'd give them the keys... but they'd better not turn thier backs or hang about after that...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bobinspain

posted on 11/6/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thievery is rampant out here and we're just entering the 'silly season.'

Holidaymakers (including villa-owners who should know better) land at their gaff, fling the windows wide open, leave the doors ajar and go for a swim in their pool. Wallets, car keys, credit cards and passports are all fair game.

The latest wheezes involve distraction of some sort. Supermarket car parks are a favourite just as the shopping's been loaded into the car. One person asks you a question, (directions etc) whilst the accomplice has your wallet/handbag out of the car. All done in seconds.
There are groups operating (rumour has it, mostly E. Europeans) on the auto-pistas too. They flash you when your driving and pull up alongside to 'warn you' of an apparent puncture or loose wheel and when you pull over, whilst one distracts you, the other lifts bag, camera, wallet out of the car.

A pal nearly fell for the above when a Black 5-series Beemer that had flashed him waved him down and two shady looking characters began spinnig him a yarn about the trailer he was towing (with a restored '63 'Vette on it). His wife had the presence of mind to point her camera/phone at their car as if photographing the number plate. The two guys beat a hasty retreat.

Most villas here have wrought-iron wreckers, some as thick as 3/4 inch bar. I know of folk who've been burgled whilst they slept. The bars being prised apart just sufficiently to get a ferret sized thief in through them.

We have a Staffie/American Pitbull cross. He looks as mean they come and I make a point of caging him when we get unknown visitors, (workmen etc). I tell 'em it's for their own good. (He's lick 'em to death).

Happy holidays.

jossey

posted on 11/6/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Im glad the family were ok.

Its is a difficult one but like people have mentioned above its just a car.

Im going to fit these now the house is near completion.

http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/products/Key-Locking-Sash-Jammer-%252d-Extra-Security-Locks-for-uPVC-Window-%26-Doors-%252d-White.html

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Shootist

posted on 11/6/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
What a shame...

That doesn't happen often here in the states. Occasionally but not often.

In most US states when the scoundrel opened the door without permission, the assumption is that he means to do bodily harm, and lethal force is justified.

In all US states when the dope pulls out a crowbar and makes a threat, then lethal force is justified.

This only has to happen a few times, before the only folks that will do a forced entry break-in, are the ones that are too drugged out to think straight.

I never lock my doors when I am at home the exception being at night, so I don't have to clean up a mess if someone did walk in. (I have 6 dogs the smallest of which is a Pitbull).

gottabedone

posted on 11/6/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Guys,

A lot of security is common sense:

don't rely on rotten windows/doors to keep out scumbags any more that the most secure doors/windows that are left insecure.

Over the last 10-15 years car security has risen to the point that the only way to drive most cars these days is with the key. This means that if you have a nice car on the drive and Mr Scumbag wants it then he has to break in and find the key. Most of the time they don't want to come face to face with anyone or anything that will alert anyone to their presence so they will leg it if disturbed. So many domestic burglaries happen when the occupier is asleep and hears nothing.

Taking cars while you are in them has always happened but very rarely and all that you can do is give them the keys (after you've extracted your kids!!)

There is always going to be a criminal element that will take it to the extreme but most of us will never come across this other than reading about it or seeing it on the news.

The bottom line is that this has always gone on but it's a good idea to think about your own security but you don't have to rush out and dig the moat yet.

Steve

JoelP

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
These are the ones i got:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I figured there is no point having them lockable, since the thief cant move it from outside anyway.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

The Shootist

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Automatic lights!!

Automatic or motion sensing lights.

Never underestimate the unnerving effect that motion sensing lights will have on someone sneaking around, even in broad daylight. The will question whether the light came on by itself or was switched on.

Seeing your own light come on by itself is a good early warning as to someone snooping around.

se7ensport

posted on 11/6/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote

morcus

posted on 12/6/12 at 03:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure someone on here told me that in the part of Belgium he was living in it was best to leave your keys where they'd be found for the very reason that the type of people who'd come to nick them wouldn't mind attacking or killing you.

I really don't see the point of being in possesion of a stolen car if the owner knows it's stolen from the offset as you've got know time to do anything, and you've been seen, even if your in disguise. What would you do with a car in that situation? I Know that stolen cars have their identities changed or broken for parts, but you'd think you'd want some time to get the car away before it was reported?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

karlak

posted on 12/6/12 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

I really don't see the point of being in possesion of a stolen car if the owner knows it's stolen from the offset as you've got know time to do anything, and you've been seen, even if your in disguise. What would you do with a car in that situation? I Know that stolen cars have their identities changed or broken for parts, but you'd think you'd want some time to get the car away before it was reported?

Because they know the chances of a Police patrol being close by and reacting in time to catch them before they get to their workshop/container/garage (assuming they are stealing to sell on), is extremely unlikely.

I have a friend who is a traffic policeman and when he told me how many cars they have "available" on the road at certain times of the week in a large county, I was genuinely shocked!
Just think on an average journey how many traffic cars you may see - not many, if any... I dont count the little Diesel astras etc, cos they aint going to catch or keep up with stolen performance cars, driven by nutters.

Joy riders are a different matter, as I reckon they like to be chased for the Buzz.

I personally think it all comes down to deterrant. If someone enters a property with a "weapon" and threatens someone, steals the car and then drives it dangerously on the road, then the penalty when they are caught needs to very extreme. They have put themselves in the position where it is possible to hurt several people, either with the taking of the car, or the way it has been driven. The sentence should be on what "could have happened", not what actually happens.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/6/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
^ and that’s what it boils down to, the deterrent isn't one

Just what police camera action and you see the problem, they ram cars, nearly kill people on the road and then get a fine and a few months driving ban. What a joke, give them a standard no parole 5 year prison sentence of hard labour digging new roads, new railways etc and you soon see the crime rates plummet. If they do it again, 10 years sentence and so on.

coyoteboy

posted on 12/6/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

In most US states when the scoundrel opened the door without permission, the assumption is that he means to do bodily harm, and lethal force is justified.

I wouldn't want to live somewhere where that level of paranoia and free access to weapons was considered normal.

FWIW, despite the gun laws and supposedly open-house feel given by it the US property crime stats (i.e. not including murder, rape, violent crimes) stand at:

3200 per 100,000.

The UKs property crime stats stand at:

1200 per 100,000.

Add that to the fact that the US has approximately 10,000 murders by firearm per year and the UK has 14, thats one gun murder per 31,200 folk in the US, and one per 4.5 million in the UK.

Not sure the US has any room to shout on this one

Ninehigh

posted on 13/6/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I'm sure someone on here told me that in the part of Belgium he was living in it was best to leave your keys where they'd be found for the very reason that the type of people who'd come to nick them wouldn't mind attacking or killing you.

One time many years ago me and my brother were having a smoke in my car in a car park one evening. In pulls a car, two guys jump out. One goes to the front, one to the back and swap the numberplates, they've gone in about 2 mins, and so did that car's "stolen" status.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.