Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which electric motor?
coozer

posted on 19/6/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Which electric motor?

I'm after a 3hp motor and Machine Mart list two...

One is 2 pole and the other is 4 pole. What I need to know is the difference in this? I know 4 pole goes at 1500rpm and the 2 pole at 3000rpm, but, what exactly does this mean? Is one more reliable, better duty cycle??

Want to build a saw and need the blade to go round about 4500rpm.. so a 4" pulley on the motor, 2.5" on the arbor...

Any thoughts electrical boffins??

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 19/6/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Neither have a commutator so should be reliable.

speed=(120 x freq)/no. of poles where freq is 50Hz in the UK.

So the 4 pole will have double the torque of the 2 pole assuming they have the same power rating.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rf900rush

posted on 19/6/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
As you state 4 pole 1500rpm 1400 rpm in real terms and 2 pole 3000rpm (2800 rpm).

If you use pulleys to drive your blade at 4500rpm both will be the same.
The main difference will be the pulley sizes.

On important thing, is the smaller the (blade) shaft pulley to deeper cut you can make.
My father has made 2 diy bench saws and I fairly sure both were 2 pole.

Just remember these machines must be used with care.
Seen a 6mmx6mm piece come off the blade and put half way through a fire door.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 19/6/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
As you state 4 pole 1500rpm 1400 rpm in real terms and 2 pole 3000rpm (2800 rpm).

If you use pulleys to drive your blade at 4500rpm both will be the same.
The main difference will be the pulley sizes.

On important thing, is the smaller the (blade) shaft pulley to deeper cut you can make.
My father has made 2 diy bench saws and I fairly sure both were 2 pole.

Just remember these machines must be used with care.
Seen a 6mmx6mm piece come off the blade and put half way through a fire door.

Its basically a rip saw to tear up pallets for the fire, more or less 1/2" by 4" planks, the occasional bit of 2x4..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

I predict a Riot

posted on 19/6/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you just want a basic set up I would go for a four pole on a DOL (direct on line starter) for the extra torque. There are a lot of knots and nails in that type of wood.

If you can afford it use an inverter as your motor controller that gives you the option to tune the motor and can provide motor braking.

Don't forget to wire in some type of volt free relay or E stop.

A word of caution if you are wanting to use this pallet type wood in a log burner, lots of manufacturers don't recommend its use, don't know why though.

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

coozer

posted on 19/6/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I predict a Riot

A word of caution if you are wanting to use this pallet type wood in a log burner, lots of manufacturers don't recommend its use, don't know why though.

Yes, I know why, my installer said not to use pallets.. the reason being they cost money to produce, are designed for re-use and its not ethical to burn them.. however I couldn't give a monkeys about the 'environment' and where I work throw them out, and then they rely on me and another bloke to take them away to avoid disposal costs. So, we both win

Oh, and the installer broke the pallet up to test the fire to make sure it burned ok with no leaks in the chimney.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dmac

posted on 19/6/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Pallet wood is full of nails which will jam in your grate and are a real pain to remove.

Duncan

coozer

posted on 19/6/12 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Dont worry about the nails chaps, I've been burning this stuff for 2 years now and as you say there are more nails than ash.. however, she doesn't complain about lifting them out as the heat is free!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

daviep

posted on 19/6/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Dont worry about the nails chaps, I've been burning this stuff for 2 years now and as you say there are more nails than ash.. however, she doesn't complain about lifting them out as the heat is free!

You have to love free wood

Keep us posted on how the saw performs, I'm in the same boat but I currently use a small electric chainsaw to "reduce" pallets, I'm always on the look out for a more effective method.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.