Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I got me a new car
StevieB

posted on 23/6/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I got me a new car

After a bit of time trying out motorbikes, I finally decided I missed having a se7en too much and have been out this morning to look at a Westfield. End result is that I ended up doing a deal, which includes part exing my bike in so that I have the space to keep the car.

I want to do a bit of hill climbing and maybe eventually some racing so was looking for a car with as many of the required attributes as possible (ie proper roll bar, race harness, lightweight seats etc etc). Since most of these cars are no slouches no matter what the engine, that was a lower priority - I'd rather have a car well set up and learn to drive to the limits of the engine before upgrading.

This car ticks all of the boxes and also comes in the colour I wanted too (the checks are c/f vinyl and will be gone within half an hour of getting it home next Sunday and plugging the hair dryer in!).

It's currently fitted with a CVH from an XR2 which was fully rebuilt before being installed and it's running twin 40 webers at the moment. It's maybe not the most desirable of engines but it's got plenty enough poke for now and I plan to start assembling the bits for a Duratec conversion over time so that when I'm ready for more power, it'll be there to drop in.

Anyway, I love it and wanted to share the pics with those who'd appreciate them...

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

maccmike

posted on 23/6/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
really tidy that mate. nowt wrong with that engine either.
StevieB

posted on 23/6/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers - the ad said 'as new condition' and it really was factory fresh when I got there to see it.

There are only a few things I want to change, which are all down to personal taste than anything else and are relatively cheap/free things:

Checks need to go

Gear knob needs changing for a simple metal ball type

The ignition barrel is currently mounted under the dash below the steering wheel - don't fancy a key through the knee cap in the event of a shunt anytime soon!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/6/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a great looking car, you just can't go wrong with a westy, they are a good base for upgrades later on
owelly

posted on 23/6/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Toy! Looks good Steve.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 23/6/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Toy! Looks good Steve.

I shall drive it across to show it off some time!

perksy

posted on 23/6/12 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very tidy and in the right colour for a westy imho

CVH is a good engine and just needs regular oil changes with decent oil as they can suffer from 'sludge'

Might it be worth investing in a proper foam filter or a pair of K&N filters though instead of the gauze covers ?

StevieB

posted on 23/6/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy

Might it be worth investing in a proper foam filter or a pair of K&N filters though instead of the gauze covers ?

I had thought the same myself. There's no cut outin the bonnet either so you assume air flow is maybe a little restricted.

Seems to run well though so I'll do some research before taking saw to bonnet.

Andy D

posted on 23/6/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
quote:
Originally posted by perksy

I had thought the same myself. There's no cut outin the bonnet either so you assume air flow is maybe a little restricted.

Seems to run well though so I'll do some research before taking saw to bonnet.

Nice car.

If you're definitely going to swap the engine, it may be a good idea to leave the bonnet cutting till the new motor's in?

StevieB

posted on 24/6/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D

If you're definitely going to swap the engine, it may be a good idea to leave the bonnet cutting till the new motor's in?

A good point well made - a £350 error for not thinking ahead avoided!

StevieB

posted on 1/7/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I picked the car up today and it was a real hoot on the way home - I'm a very happy bunny

The car came with a couple of folders containing every receipt and invoice, original build manual and basically anything else to do with the car (right down the previous owners' WSCC membership paperwork).

Obviously first things first, the hair dryer was out and within 30 minutes of being on the drive the checks were removed and it looks a whole heap better for it:

Description
Description

Now obviously my mind turns to modifications.

Looking through the files, there's a rolling road print out stating max power of 116bhp at 6900 revs. There's a rev llimiter fitted to the car limiting things to 6500 at the moment (and it'll stay there for the time being so I don't blow the engine straight away by accident!). As identified earlier, the carbs don't have much in the way of a cold air feed and those horrible mesh filters can't be good (or can they?). There's not a massive amount of vertical space between the top chassis rail and the carb intakes, but there's a lot more than maybe the pic intimates.

Description
Description

As I'm thinking of a future (not too distant) upgrade to 16v power, most likely Duratec or Zetec, I don't want to cut a hole in the bonnet just yet.

Would anyone see a benefit in either;

1. Fit a foam filter, probably as thin as 40mm (so not pressed up against the bonnet) and duct some cold air from the front of the car to the forward end of the filter.

2. Fit some sort of plenum chamber (probably have to make sor butcher something) and again duct cold air from the front of the car into it. Something like this in form (but obviously not having a thottle body attached or being anywhere near as expensive!)

Description
Description

Any opinions or alternative solutions happily received!

owelly

posted on 1/7/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Shirley, if that big scoop is sluroing cool air in, and those little triangular holes are letting it back out, there must be a bit of cool air floating over the intakes. IMHO, don't worry about it. Just wait for the upgrade....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 1/7/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
For my airbox im planning on using this plenum from a Nissan GTi-R.
Now to make it all fit
Now to make it all fit

Ive cut the back plate out of ali, just need to drill the holes for the 4 trumpets to go through the back plate.
Airbox back plate made
Airbox back plate made

It might end up being a pile of poo but it might work & it only cost me £25 from a Nissan breakers yard

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/7/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
And those pulsar/sunny gtir plenums take boost too......

Looks like a nice new car, don't rush to break it!

keith777

posted on 1/7/12 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Shirley, if that big scoop is sluroing cool air in, and those little triangular holes are letting it back out, there must be a bit of cool air floating over the intakes. IMHO, don't worry about it. Just wait for the upgrade....

Don't call him Shirley !!

cheers Keith

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.