Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone owned a Mk1 TT 225?
tegwin

posted on 27/6/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone owned a Mk1 TT 225?

Anyoned owned or driven in anger a TT Mk1 225hp quatro?

Tempted to pick one up to play with...

What are they like to drive? Are they any fun to throw about on B roads? I know Audis tend to be a bit dull to drive....can the TT be fun?

Similar money would pick up a Leon Cupra R... Front wheel drive, more space but just not as "special" to drive perhaps.. (had an LCR in the past and it was quick, but a bit "normal" somehow)

[Edited on 27/6/12 by tegwin]

[Edited on 27/6/12 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

twybrow

posted on 27/6/12 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
My friend had a 225, and then a V6. The 225 was quick, but as you say, not exactly fun or engaging. It does cover ground well, but they are not practical (anyone taller than about 5' will not get in the back - trust me, I'm 6' 5" and it bloody hurt!).

I currently drive a Leon, albeit not an R, but a Cupra all the same, and I would say they are more fun to drive - the R, I am told, is a lot sharper than the regular Cupra, with the same 225bhp engine as the TT, plus 5 usable seats and a boot! I know where my money would go!

me!

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
What about a Civic type r? The engine is hilarious when it comes on cam. Its fun to drive as well, but the steering is a bit uncommunicative (EPAS)

Surprisingly practical also, I managed to get 3 of us and 3 mountain bikes in for a trip to Wales once- I was glad I wasn't in the back though!

[Edited on 28/6/12 by me!]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Can be fast but dull I would have a mk1 mx5 slow but much more FUN.....
Fieldy

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 04 Leon Cupra R a few years back, had a few performance bits on it and was rolling road mapped by Jabba Sport, it was a right hoot and I’d have another one without hesitation

I guess budget comes into it but if you can get a decent low/mid range mileage car and are prepared to spend a couple of quid I reckon it would be great fun, 300 Bhp is normally quite fun anyway!

As for Type R’s I have an 09 Type R now and I hate it, it is fun at full chat but is horrible off the V-Tec, no torque what so ever… wish I had brought a Cupra K1 instead!

If it was my choice id get a Leon, bit I’m biased as I’ve had one…

Fizzer

posted on 28/6/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Never had a Cupra but did have a MK1 225 TT:

It was pretty high mileage and there were at least 4 distinct annoying rattles coming from different parts of the car.
Electrics are pretty poor (dash failures, light failures etc.)
Never used the back seats in the end.
fast
pretty flat handling, tends to eat up the bumps
not exciting to spank hard
In 2 years we had 3 x £500+ bills for repairs (unlucky?) - never did get rid of the airbag light.

Chopped it in for a mk3 mx5, I miss the speed but it's a nicer drive. (Not too fussed about speed though, got a 200hp fury for play days...)

Steve Hignett

posted on 28/6/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
If it were my money it would amlost certainly be going on the Leon Cupra R (or the LCR as the foum's call them)...

I'm driving a 3 door Mk4 Golf GT TDI that's been chipped (tuning box) at the moment, granted it's on coilovers and R32 wheels & decent tyres, but it is a really good car to drive!

CraigJ

posted on 28/6/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
The fiancee had one just over a year ago, Very dull to drive. heavy and slow. Much better cars for the money. We had a Leon Cupra after and was a much better car.

The other half now has a Mini cooper and that is more fun to drive.

Fieldy

posted on 28/6/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
The fiancee had one just over a year ago, Very dull to drive. heavy and slow. Much better cars for the money. We had a Leon Cupra after and was a much better car.

The other half now has a Mini cooper and that is more fun to drive.

You could probabaly get a cooper s, my pal had one of those with a different pulley or something on the charger was a wicked little car.. stuck like glue

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.