Poll: Commuting and mx5s, wwyd? [View Results]
Keep it.
Sell it and get another car.
keep it and get another car.
Strip it for doner parts and flog the rest.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Commuting and mx5s, wwyd?
morcus

posted on 28/6/12 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
Commuting and mx5s, wwyd?

As alot of you know I bought an Mx5 about 2 months ago, in the mean time something I didn't think would happen has and I've been offered an aprenticeship in Bristol starting in september which means I'll need to drive places again and means the current car is less than ideal. Selling it will mean losing money as I doubt I'll get back what it owes me but keeping it could well cost much more in the long run as I'd need a garage and probably a hard top which would then completely defeat the object of the car. What would you guys do? I'm thinking I'm best off cutting my losses and selling it and getting my self something more comfy and practical unless I can scroung enough to keep the car and get another one but that is a big ask.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ivan

posted on 28/6/12 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
Why is it impractical for commuting - with hardtop should be fine or is it a reliability or fuel consumption issue?
morcus

posted on 28/6/12 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
A hard top would be a must as I'll be in areas where the roof would likely be damaged and unless the hard tops are alot better than I imagine, I don't think it would be worth putting up with the noise and lack of space without the party peices of using it's sweet handling and openess, pluss I can see alot less than I'd like with the roof up which I'm sure will be worse in an urban environment. The reliability isn't too big an issue but it's a factor, anything I get for simillar money is likely to be at risk of the same sort of things, but on the otherside probably won't have funny Japanese parts which has already given me head aches.

The other thing is space, I don't know exactly what I'll be carrying around but I had to give them alot of sizes and measurements so could well end up with alot of kit.

I love the car but I really do think driving it in Bristol will drive me mad as I sit in traffic with Zero visability, the worlds crapist radio and the noise, which is good some of the time but not stuck in traffic.

Worth thing is I'd forgotten that I actually like non power steering, which is hard to find in the sort of things I'd been considering as a replacement.

Ivan

posted on 28/6/12 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
OK - given all you say I voted to Sell it & get another car.
cliftyhanger

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Man up!
OK, difficult in an MX5, but I have driven cars that date from the 60's as everyday cars for the past 20 years, largely convertibles, and despite the odd issue carrying large stuff (the family car gets used then) they do everything. The MX5 is just a more modern and liveable version of the cars I have had.
Visibility should be fine, or at least adequate. And you do not even know what you need to carry, so do not jump the gun.

Keep the car, unless you just want to change it anyway, and IF you find you NEED something different, change it then or whatever you have to do.
And I wouldn't knock japanese cars. In terms of reliability they are second to none. As a garage owner who sells "prestige" european cars (BMW, Merc and some VW/audi) he would have far less grief after-sales if he sold Jap cars, but the profits are rather bigger with the German stuff.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
I will swap you a 70 mpg diesel 106 simples
You get cheap running and I get the fun.

JonBowden

posted on 28/6/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think you have already decided - you want a more practical and boring car.

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
personaly, I have a Rover 75 estate and an MX-5.
If it's wet I take the Rover, otherwise I take the MX-5

Jon

D Beddows

posted on 28/6/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Keep the car, unless you just want to change it anyway, and IF you find you NEED something different, change it then or whatever you have to do.

What he said!

There have been far too many incredibly long, incredibly dull 'what car should I choose' threads on here recently anyway as it is - that was going to be your next Thread wasn't it

morcus

posted on 28/6/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

The reliability is specific to the car, the one I have isn't particularly reliable.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.