Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UK cities face ban on heavily polluting traffic
Westy1994

posted on 28/6/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
UK cities face ban on heavily polluting traffic

Article taken from todays news, here

" Newcastle, Liverpool, Tyneside, Sheffield, Bristol, Brighton, Birkenhead, Preston, Swansea, Belfast, south-west England, north-east Scotland and south Wales are all likely to have to introduce "low-emission zones" to curb the toxic gas nitrogen dioxide (NO2) which is linked to heart diseases and respiratory problems."

So I wonder what will happen with say the London to Brighton classic car run and any other events where an old car has to travel within the confines if this so called LEZ zone. Are we to be banned now?.

coyoteboy

posted on 28/6/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
North east of Scotland became a city now eh, interesting. Sounds a tad incredible.
matt_claydon

posted on 28/6/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
London already has a LEZ, it only applies to heavy / commercial vehicles. I imagine it would be the same for the additional cities proposed.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx

Macbeast

posted on 28/6/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
London LEZ only applies to diesels.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Westy1994

posted on 28/6/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, Thanks Matt for that link, interesting it says " The LEZ does not apply to cars or motorcycles ", yet the photo in that news link I posted is plainly a car.

I have no objection to the stated proposed rules, as it may well help with all these lorries and heavy goods vehicles that clog up my local roads here, having said that public transport can not take over this role, so they will have to update their vehicles to conform - end result being we all end up paying more for a product as they will just pass the cost down to you and me.

coyoteboy

posted on 28/6/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
If they apply it to cars it'll be a PITA. Leave your special one-of-a-kind car out of the city in a random car park and bus in please. No ta, I'll go elsewhere or order online thanks.
Westy1994

posted on 28/6/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
That was my first thought Coyote, but I wonder how far it will go, look what happened to the no-smoking rule, first it was at work, then it was not in any works vehicles closely followed by the ban a pubs. Will this go the same way, it's just HGV and the likes at the moment, but that could quite easily spread to cars and the older cars not having to take a metered test at the moment will suffer the most.
mad4x4

posted on 28/6/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
well they can **** off!

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

mad4x4

posted on 28/6/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
North east of Scotland ! be better up here with a tax on COWS.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Ninehigh

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
If they apply it to cars it'll be a PITA. Leave your special one-of-a-kind car out of the city in a random car park and bus in please. No ta, I'll go elsewhere or order online thanks.

If it applies to cars I'm about to lose half my work... I don't think they're going to be doing a park and ride into Birkenhead at 4.30am!

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I think they should ban everything from everywhere, then no one could stop anyone doing anything or nothing because what they would have to do to stop them would be banned, then everyone could do anything

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Ninehigh

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I think they should ban everything from everywhere, then no one could stop anyone doing anything or nothing because what they would have to do to stop them would be banned, then everyone could do anything

A1

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
If we all removed our cats then NO2 wouldnt be a problem

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.