Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover T series type 9 gearbox
bigstevie

posted on 1/7/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Rover T series type 9 gearbox

A few yrs ago i bought a Robin Hood Superspec fitted with the 2L T-series Engine mated to the Ford MT75 gearbox.
As there is a well know problem with this coupling, does anyone have any knowledge if it is possible to mate up the rover t series with the Ford type 9 gearbox?
I know it can be done with the K series engine but are the mounting/bolt holes the same on the K and T series engines?

Anyone with knowledge of this I would welcome your comments please.

big_wasa

posted on 1/7/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
K and T are differant but I would be very greatfull of info of the problems your having and any pics of the adapter.

I would love to do a rwd kv6 (the kv6 has a T series bell housing patern)

[Edited on 1/7/12 by big_wasa]

zilspeed

posted on 1/7/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
K and T are differant but I would be very greatfull of info of the problems your having and any pics of the adapter.

I would love to do a rwd kv6 (the kv6 has a T series bell housing patern)

[Edited on 1/7/12 by big_wasa]

Good infor there Wasa.

In that case, surely in that case you would be looking at a Sherpa / Pilot gearbox ?

Or maybe my lack of AR / BMC / Rover / LDV knowledge all showed up there.

ali f27

posted on 1/7/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the mt 75 has same bolt pattern as type 9 so your gearbox must have after mafket bellhousing some mt 75s have removable b/hs if so should be able to bolt type 9 up same way whats the problem with mt 75 its a good box?
t16turbotone

posted on 1/7/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I am running T series Turbo engine in my Locost, great engine, but tall and heavy, You can mate up to a type 9 using the rover (PG1 I Think) FWD gearbox bellhousing and lots of work! Bilbo on hear has done it. There are other RWD options, I used a Rover SD1 2000 flywheel and engine backplate with a LT77 gearbox, If i were to do it again i would look into the Land Rover MPI Discovery, it uses the T series and i believe it has a larger flywheel and clutch system and may have the better R380 gearbox and 4 wheel drive if you want it! I have always had clutch problems with mine due to the power of the motor and the small diameter clutch plate that the SD1 2000 came with. You will need to machine up a spigot bearing bush as i am quite sure they are not made anymore.
garybee

posted on 10/11/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t16turbotone
Hi, I am running T series Turbo engine in my Locost, great engine, but tall and heavy, You can mate up to a type 9 using the rover (PG1 I Think) FWD gearbox bellhousing and lots of work! Bilbo on hear has done it. There are other RWD options, I used a Rover SD1 2000 flywheel and engine backplate with a LT77 gearbox, If i were to do it again i would look into the Land Rover MPI Discovery, it uses the T series and i believe it has a larger flywheel and clutch system and may have the better R380 gearbox and 4 wheel drive if you want it! I have always had clutch problems with mine due to the power of the motor and the small diameter clutch plate that the SD1 2000 came with. You will need to machine up a spigot bearing bush as i am quite sure they are not made anymore.

I suspect I may be a bit late with this question (found this thread with a search), but is anyone able to tell me what is involved in using the PG1 bell housing from a T series car to mate to a type 9 box?

I'm very interested in having a go at this.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.