Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra
BenBrooks

posted on 2/7/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra

Hey guys,

I need a vey reasonably priced sierra (<£375). don't mind about engine size but all the running gear needs to be usable and with a type 9 gearbox.

Cheers

Ben

SCAR

posted on 2/7/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
You and plenty others.
Finding sierra stuff is getting increasingly difficult. I think you will be fortunate to find a cheap complete car local to you. We looked for 3 months and eventually had to accept buying bits as they became available. Complete cars seemed to be £700 plus and I found a dealer with a low milage car at £3500 (not a Cosworth)
Keep looking you may get lucky and if you find a cheap one in Notts let me know.

loggyboy

posted on 2/7/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Keep hunting, I paid £200 for mine, only 6 months ago.

Mistral Motorsport

BenBrooks

posted on 2/7/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys. i'll look at some scrappies as well as online. i would go down the route of buying everything separately but i do want an age related plate and it makes it easier for iva etc.
stevem427

posted on 2/7/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Theres one on ebay. In Lincolnshire. 280911535088 item number. Cheers Steve.
nearly done

posted on 2/7/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ben,
sourced all mine separate for my Westfield and had no problems regards IVA etc. No problems in the future if I want to upgrade to a modern engine because the Q plate means I dont have to worry about emissions!!!

Cheers, Sean.

loggyboy

posted on 3/7/12 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Alternatively, buy all the parts seperately and buy a 'shell' someone is scrapping for the V5. you may even find some one has broken the whole car, and is willing to sell just the v5 and vin, along with lots of photos to prove to the dvla it was used as a donor. wink wink, u2u me in 6months!

Mistral Motorsport

mcerd1

posted on 3/7/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
you could widen your options a bit to include granada's aswell...
the 2.0 pinto engined granadas have type 9 boxes (the 2.0 DOHC's use MT75 boxes)

I'm using a granada for my build that I got for a bottle of whisky

there are a few minor things different in the running gear, but its fairly strait forward to adapt to suit
from memory: the front uprights need a bigger mushroom adapter, the wheels are 5x112 (instead of 4x108) and the steering column / rack are a bit different
other than that the brakes are the same size and calipers as the sierra's with ABS (260mm front and 253mm rear discs)
the diff is a 7" on most of the pinto ones, 7.5" on a few (7.5" are common with other engines)
driveshafts and hubs are the 100mm bolt-on type (same as 4x4's, XR4's etc...)

[Edited on 3/7/2012 by mcerd1]

-

BenBrooks

posted on 3/7/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Alternatively, buy all the parts seperately and buy a 'shell' someone is scrapping for the V5. you may even find some one has broken the whole car, and is willing to sell just the v5 and vin, along with lots of photos to prove to the dvla it was used as a donor. wink wink, u2u me in 6months!

that's quite a good point actually, cheers.

may look at some granadas too and maybe buy some sierra uprights separately if i can't get these adapted mushrooms?

Ben

mcerd1

posted on 3/7/12 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenBrooks
may look at some granadas too and maybe buy some sierra uprights separately if i can't get these adapted mushrooms?

they are just a bit bigger diamiter, I beleve they are the same size as the 4x4 sierra ones

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.