Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home Brew
carlknight1982

posted on 3/7/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Home Brew

Im thinking about trying one of those home brew lager kits, ive been looking at the youngs ubrew kit, just wondering if anyone here does this and has any advice

Carl

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Proby

posted on 3/7/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've just got back into some home brew. Lager is a little tricker to get tasting decent (it needs to ferment at a lower, ideally controlled, temp). It also needs around 12 weeks to condition once kegged or bottled. I highly recommend trying a coopers 'Canadian blonde kit' if your a lager, rather than beer fan! It's a bit of an 'inbetween' lager & beer. It's ready to bottle within 10 days ish (kit instructions state 6, but I find it needs a little longer to finish fermenting), and it tastes great within another 2 weeks of bottling. I bought all my kit in bits n bobs, so I ended up with what I wanted. Coopers do a starter kit which I know is good, my fermenting bin, bottle bin and bottler are all youngs, but all much & much the same.
I bottled a 23L batch of Canadian blonde on Saturday, I'm itching to crack one open, but need to resist temptation and leave them till they are ready!

The main thing with brewing is clean, clean, clean & sterilise. Everything must be spotless and germ free, otherwise it will ruin your efforts!

[Edited on 3/7/12 by Proby]

maccmike

posted on 3/7/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Iv made about 200 pints of bitter.
Its very easy, fit your brewing bucket with a tap at the bottom, much easier when it comes to bottleing up.
Follow the instructions, brew it in the airing cupboard.
Sterolise everything.
Get the thermometer thingy so you know when its done.
Start collecting beer bottles.
Once bottled, the longer you leave it the better it will taste.
Happy drinking

carlknight1982

posted on 3/7/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
just brought this

Youngs Brew Buddy 40 pint Beer Making Starter Kit - Lager Brewbuddy 5017458010319 | eBay

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

FuryRebuild

posted on 3/7/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Try and get the lallemend windsor or other yeasts by these guys - way better than the youngs yeast.

good luck.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

bob

posted on 3/7/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I use the coopers lager kits, really good results and well under 20p per 500ml bottles so near as dam it a pint.

Coopers say 6 ish days in tub depending on temp (21deg C ) but i leave it in for 7 or 8, they also say its drinkable after 7 days in the bottle but i'm now drinking bottles from 28/1 this year. Its very nice.

I buy my kits from a company called whytes home brew, very helpfull.

mookaloid

posted on 3/7/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlknight1982
Im thinking about trying one of those home brew lager kits, ive been looking at the youngs ubrew kit, just wondering if anyone here does this and has any advice

Carl

Advice? - yes don't do it - it's way too easy to drink several pints every night and soon you'll be a fat bast*rd like me

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

wilkingj

posted on 3/7/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm a pair of Bitter Kits with a couple Lbs of Honey in it... Mmmmmmm
Makes a beer worthy of a good pub. Much better than the original kit.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gunman

posted on 3/7/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you like larger but want a more simple kit look at coopers Australian pale ale. Great reviews and I have done it a few times with excellent results. I used muntons brew enhancers with it and got a much better taste than with the coopers one.
BenB

posted on 3/7/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd swap the sugar recommended in the kit with some dried malt extract. Sugar gives a very "flat" finish. Even in lager it can end up tasting a bit cheap and thin. DME will give better mouthfeel.
And def swap out the rubbish kit yeast with some a bit more honest. Lager yeast is not the same as a top-fermenting bitter yeast. If it just says "brewers yeast" avoid it and get something good.
And if possible do a starter bottle for the yeast with some DME to get the yeast going as soon as you put it into the brew.

T66

posted on 3/7/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ive brewed before, and gave up as I was drinking it before it was ready (mega farts) , drinking when i stepped through the door, drinking after nightshift, lateshift...

Never got the lager right, so always made bitter. I got quite into Boots own brand bitter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.