Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mk suspension
ajw

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
mk suspension

I need some info re spring rate and have problem with front scrub on indy r. Also powder coating cracking on upper front wishbones . Notice movement on top of suspension under heavy braking. Running 7in fronts with dunlop stickey tyres for hillclimbs.Car 280 bhp +seq box and on double adjustable shocks. I suspect I will have to modify top wishbones as I fear weld fracture. Any opinions.
Twin40

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Ajw,

I'm not totally clued up with regards to suspension setup on these, but is this chassis running the inboard or outboard front shock setup? (i'm guessing outboard)

C.

ajw

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
indy suspension

Its running inboard .
A1

posted on 4/7/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
If you look closely youll see some movement in the cycle wings when braking and slow speeds too...
Are you not always going to get some rotational movement between the uppers and lowers when braking?

Bluemoon

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I guess you will always get some, unless every thing is 100% rigid.

On the MK indy it's quite large as the upper wishbone flexes more than is probably desirable due to it's U shaped design; I would think this is minimised on the R with it's new triangular upper bone design (but you still get some bending under breaking because the apex of the triangle is not near the ball joint, and the upper ball joint is far from ideal as well being a tie rod end under bending...)?

Most locost based designs are similar in this respect; you have a tie rod ball joint in bending under breaking; this will try and bend the upper wishbone.

Cheers

Dan

Davegtst

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think alot of the movement is due to the bushes in the wishbones compressing too.
procomp

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

On the few off the Indy R's i have had to sort out what we found to be problems are. 12mm bolts through 1/2" bushing and mounting brackets. Spring poundage wise you will have problems with selection untill you have made sure the dampers are valved right at low - medium speed as spring change was masked by wrongly valved dampers. And also you have got to check that there is no air in them.
Geometry wise check out the amount off camber gain in roll, Or rather the amount off camber LOSS. That will give you an idea as to what will be needed to gain better front end grip.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ajw

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
mk suspension

The suspension on my car is totally rose jointed and has triangle top wishbones. The issue of flexing came to notice at Kirkstown last week end. The car tops 130 mph with the present gearing and we were topping out three times per lap. I had a call from MK and discussed strengtening webs/straps on uppers. Car is on 350 lb front inboard springs and 300 lb rears
procomp

posted on 4/7/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
Is that the single shear pivot mounting point or from the chassis brackets themselves. The was the chassis wishbone mounts that where breaking on Ian's car.
Also does the car still feel soft on the 350Lb fronts. That is way OTT for the application. Mk where recommending higher and higher poundage on the front to a number off customers who all discovered that it was air in the Dampers. Once bled they where back on 250Lb - 275Lb iirc. Although they had the single adjustable which could be mounted the right way up where as the double adjustables can not.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ajw

posted on 4/7/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
indy suspension

The weak spot seems the weld joint at outer uppers where tube from rear of wishbone is welded. We intend to either replace pipe with higher quality or make new uppers. Lot of flex under braking ,you can see wings moving.I am told the front springs are 350 and rears 300. Its on double adj shocks with front valves to the top ( protech boss said no problem when I spoke to him at Autosport show. I am running the height under the chassis at 100mm measured from box section down. We cannot keep speed through corners as quick a our pals westfield hyabusa and he is 3% faster . Maybe I should chuck out duratec and go bike route!. We had considered using a powertec v8 next year but no if suspension cannot take pressure
AJW
Ireland

procomp

posted on 5/7/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I ve sent U2U. Too many Mk lovers sending thier comments to me. LOL

Cheers Matt

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 5/7/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi,
I ve sent U2U. Too many Mk lovers sending thier comments to me. LOL

Cheers Matt

Oh you said lovers I initially read it as MK losers...

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

ajw

posted on 5/7/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
indy suspension

The problem seems in the geometry and will spend next sat resetting
1.5/2deg negative
2/4 castor
350 lb fronts
300 rears
Will try 50 lb less on springs
will look at new roll bar setup ( has anyone got photo of latest blade system)
Have a hillclimb in south co kilkenny coming up and need to be ready
Car was third in kirkstown to a radical and TMS300 (v6 mountune) but cannot get times quicker to a westfield with a 1.4 modified (extreme Engines) hyabusa .He can carry the speed through the corners
Alex
Kilkenny
Ireland

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.