Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Credit on Gas/Leccy Bills
mikeb

posted on 5/7/12 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Credit on Gas/Leccy Bills

Just got my latest EDF bill for combined gas and electric.
It states I'm now £400 in credit and luckilly they have reduced my mothley payments by £5 (65 down to 60).
Is it usual to rack up this much credit, can I ring them up and ask for half of it back?
I believe the idea is your have some credit build up in the summer months that gets used up in the winter but £400??

Cheers

M

[Edited on 5/7/12 by mikeb]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/7/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a refund several times - I just add up last year's total, add a bit for fuel increases, etc, then divide by 12.

Rang whichever utility and asked for a refund and an adjustment to my monthly amount using the figures I'd already worked out. I always managed to come to an agreement without any arguments.

ReMan

posted on 5/7/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
They, is the computer.
I have found them to be helpful enough if your a good risk and will do what you ask within reason either money back of greater reduction on payments
I actually like to have a good credit though and you cant argue your missing out on interest at the moment can you!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mikeb

posted on 5/7/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
It is nice to have credit but £400 on a yearly bill of £650 seems a bit much.
Especially when I'm selling anything I can get my hands on to by my body work.

morcus

posted on 5/7/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
From what I gather from people I work with it's normal because they charge you too much on purpose in case anything happens out of the ordinary.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

watsonpj

posted on 5/7/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
400 is way to much imho. If you have built this up over 12 month then thats £33 a month and you still have the low usage summer ahead of you.
Work out what you actually payed them over the year take off the amount you are owed and you have got your real bill. This should be your monthly payment so get it changed to that and ask for the money back. They will argue that they you will go into debit and this is true especially as some of the warmer weather is already gone but you should be able to agree some middle ground especially as for the next 3-4 months you should start building a balance even at the reduced payments.
They review prices regularly so they won't go out of pocket so you need to fight your corner otherwise they will keep quiet.

I just wish I was in that position it only ever seems to go up but then my wife seems to like the house to be sub tropical

regards Pete

mark chandler

posted on 5/7/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I always ask for a full refund, you are just being their bank! Multiply that over 10,000 users ....

If it goes the other way you do not get charged interest, just bung some money into a savings account and set the DD low.

mkeats02

posted on 5/7/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's your money, ask for it back, I always do when i'm in credit.
Dick Axtell

posted on 5/7/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Credit???????

Gotta note from my supplier abbout month ago, saying I was £450 in credit, therefore they were reducing my monthly DD payments. OK so far.

Have recently (May) had super new more efficient boiler installed, so no hot water tank. Have just read both meters. B ill comes back a week later. I was in credit by £600 - not any more!! Fuel costs reduced me down to £3.68 credit!! My gas consumption appears to have more than tripled, for the same 6 month period. Still, it has been colder earlier this year, than normal.

However, the missus accidentally leaving a gas fire on low (for a week!!!!!) might be a contributary factor for this high reading.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Am I the only one left that pays for my leccy after I've used it?

You know, the meter reader (or myself) reads how many units I've used in the past three months,
and a few days later I get a bill.

Cheers,
Paul G

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/7/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I recently had a crazy event from EDF.

Good News, bad news.

Good news = you are £80 in credit. As we dont let people roll over 12 months, we pay it back and sort out a new payment figure so.....

bad news = Its going up from £128 a month to £165.

Say what? A refund and a hike in the same letter?

Ok,my house often looks like blackppol illuminations, no one here knows how off switches work, and even thou all my bulbs are high efficiency, I have a condesing boiler, wall insulation, 400mm in the loft, I still have a wife that wants 24C all year around, and washing machines, tumble dryers, and 2 adult sons in residence adding to the washing etc. But £1900 a year!

So, moved to Scottish energy, using last years real figures, and its now £132.

It pays to shop. And possibly buy a washing line, sit in the dark, in the cold, kick the kids out and eat sandwiches

ATB

steve

[Edited on 5/7/12 by stephen_gusterson]

iank

posted on 6/7/12 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
From what I gather from people I work with it's normal because they charge you too much on purpose in case anything happens out of the ordinary.

Nearly, they get you to build up credit, invest the £100M's and use it to make huge additional amounts of profit.
The more credit you let them carry the more profit they make without having to do the tedious and costly generation and distribution of their product.
Same way as the banks make most of their money in the UK.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

morcus

posted on 6/7/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I knew it was a con, thats why I don't pay that way.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.