Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cumputer up/down grade?
coozer

posted on 8/7/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Cumputer up/down grade?

I've been following some of the computer/HDD threads on here lately with a keen eye.. (just the one) and I'm suffering from a slow crashing/freezing computer.. its tired just like the other thread here...

I have a few problems which point toward a tired HDD.. I'm running Vista Home and the crazy thing is it wont boot without my Windows 2000 disc in the cd drive! How mad is that? Without it it stalls at the dos screen with a load of 99.99.99.. filling the screen.

So, I'm looking at a SSD OCR Agility 120gb thing to replace the boot drive and I'm leaning back towards installing Windows 2000 again... this takes up 680mb on the boot disc whereas my current Vista is bloated at 54GB!

Will the SSD be ok with the old Win2000??

Any help here would be much appreciated...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slimy38

posted on 8/7/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
How the heck did you get your Vista install up to 54Gb?!?!!?! From memory even Windows 7 only needs about 5Gb for a complete install.

I think you're on to a winner going back to 2000, you'll lose a bit of stuff (2000 has very little gaming support for instance) but it is a very stable operating system. The main problem I foresee is that the install disc is unlikely to have the drivers for the SSD, so you'll have to interrupt the process to install the relevant drivers. And that's if drivers for 2000 actually exist. Check the OCZ website to make sure there are appropriate drivers.

monkeyarms

posted on 8/7/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I would back up all your personal stuff, then -
Do a full reinstall of Vista (assuming you have the disc) wiping you current HDD in the process. Put on all the service packs latest drivers etc
Then if your PC is still not satisfactory, consider a SSD and maybe Windows 7. Vista is OK but 7 is a big step forward. The Linux route is worth considering, but depends on what you use your PC for.

Please dont consider going back to Win 2000 !

Irony

posted on 8/7/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know that much about windows computers but at work we run windows XP and are now moving over to windows 7. The computer firm that takes care of our IT (they are a bloody brilliant company) hate VISTA with a passion and say its the worst version of windows ever.
vanepico

posted on 8/7/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
My windows folder on 7 is 20.6gb :O no wonder I've only got like 4gb left on a 320gb!

I was looking into getting an SSD because my laptop has 2 hdd slots I wanted to see just how fast I could get it to boot up!

I'm pretty sure an SSD should probably act just like an HDD and I would have thought you would not need a different driver to run it, not that I have had any experience with SSDs

Pete

coozer

posted on 8/7/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
PC is mainly for my business, eg excel mainly, emailing and internet. No gaming.

Just been to PC World and OCR SSD half price so I'm going to see how it goes now.. I'll let you know what happens here...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Gazeddy

posted on 8/7/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
ssds are not good for windows really. windows likes to do a lot of writing to hard disk which will quickly wear an ssd out. it can be worked around though plenty of guides about to do it. it can all be done in settings no command line. as for drivers mine they use the same one as hdds use
MikeR

posted on 8/7/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
every time you install some software or windows patch the files replace are kept so you can roll back. there take up space, the longer you have the machine the more space is used.
coozer

posted on 8/7/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm back! With my new OCR Agility 3 SSD..

Plugged it in and installed Windows 2000.. my god it was no use.. forgot how good the latest ones are with all the drivers etc..

Anyways back to Vista.. all installed and working fine, compertooter is silent now, no 99's nothing in the dvd drivers...

Just need to reinstall all the programs, not bothered as I get the latest upgraded ones

I would like to upgrade to Win 7 now...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had heard that Microsoft were offering upgrades to Widows 8 for about £25 - anyone else seen this?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.