Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Off to Bonneville in a few weeks
flak monkey

posted on 9/7/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Off to Bonneville in a few weeks

Looks like I am making a trip to the USA this August. 6 guys have built bikes to run at Bonneville and I am tagging along for the ride, on crew.

Arriving in Los Angeles on the 2nd August, hanging around there until the 6th, then heading toward Wendover where we are staying for 10 days through speedweek, then back to LA for a few days and flyig back to the UK on the 23rd. We have a few loose plans, if anyone's seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, then this trip may be similar

Onroute to Wendover we are stopping in Vegas, and probably stopping at some junk yards as well.

The bikes arrived in a container in New York at some point today, then are going on a train to LA.

Here are the build up threads for some of the bikes:

1000cc Weslake
Indian 741B
1327cc GSX
650 Triumph Bonneville

There's also a supercharged Triumph and a CBR1000 going, all are one-off builds.

The BBC are following around, and have been to film the bikes being built etc already. They are meeting everyone over there, hopefully. Making 2 1 hr documentaries which should air in January next year if everythign goes to plan

jeffw

posted on 9/7/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
The Weslake looks very serious piece of kit

flak monkey

posted on 9/7/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Its also the only one I have seen in the flesh so far. I got a bit involved when trying to get it run on microsquirt, but ran out of time to get it going properly unfortunately so its on carbs and electronic ignition

All the bikes excellent exercises in engineering too.

[Edited on 9/7/12 by flak monkey]

LBMEFM

posted on 9/7/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
All four look pretty special to me, look forward to seeing the program. Have a good journey.
jeffw

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Have a great time

Jubal

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Have a good trip. I have fond memories of v-maxing my rented car on the salt flats many years ago. It seemed like someone had set out the course markers just for me until a polite gentleman ambled over in his RV and asked me to cease and desist ruining the surface just a few days before a speed festival!
Peteff

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine went to Bonneville when it was covered in water. He said how amazed he was that it was a massive expanse and about 4" deep. He had a picture of a sign which said "No Diving".

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.