Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yet another Q plate question
Westy1994

posted on 14/7/12 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yet another Q plate question

I have just been browsing some other 7 forums ( as you do..) and on one of them they are discussing types of number plates used on 7's and where they are fitted, and have come across this post on the WSCC forum.
---------
original thread

"If you read and UNDERSTAND the legislation, you'd know that stick on front plates are legal for a Westfield.
If you have a Q plate they are legal despite not having BSi kite marks or the postcode of the manufacturer 'cos on a Q plater, the old non reflective black and silver pressed tin plates are legal too"
--------

Can someone find some proof of this please, as I have had a good look and can't find anything about how a Q plated car IS allowed to use the old style plates. There are lots of sites (DVLA included) that are mentioning a pre 1972/3 cutoff date.

If you can find anything out please post back, as a nice black and silver plate on the back of mine would just finish it off nicely, but I am pretty sure that person is incorrect in mentioning the black/silver plate bit.

Regards

Rich.

[Edited on 14/7/12 by Westy1994]

loggyboy

posted on 14/7/12 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Its not true, the legistlation for black and silver plates is based on age of registration only.

Only cars registered before 1st Jan 1973

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

There was a more detailed leafet but the dvla/directgov website is a maze of useless links and pages.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 14/7/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Heres the actuall law on it:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/schedule/2/made

No mention of Q plates or kitcars etc, just registration/first used on date.

Mistral Motorsport

gremlin1234

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Can someone find some proof of this please, as I have had a good look and can't find anything about how a Q plated car IS allowed to use the old style plates. There are lots of sites (DVLA included) that are mentioning a pre 1972/3 cutoff date.

well it should pass an mot since q plated cars should be tested for
emission 'before 1/8/75'
and everything else as 'on 1/1/71'

ref page 8 of introduction of
The MOT Inspection Manual - Private Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicle Testing

also on your car you might be able just to stick the letters/number on with no extra backing

Westy1994

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
and everything else as 'on 1/1/71'

And it is on the basis of that line I posted the question at all, surely if it were as simple as that everyone would be doing it?

Looks like yet another email session with VOSA, they will be getting rather peeved off with me

Anyone, know anyone using one?

vanepico

posted on 14/7/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of our family has a brand new Citroen DS3 with an old black and grey number plate on, not sure if it is personalised or not.

[Edited on 14/7/12 by vanepico]

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
OK, well I have to apologise to the WSCC member whose comments I was doubting in the above post regarding Black and Silver number plates for Q plated cars..

I have had an email from VOSA that confirms that these plates legal for use on a Q plated car.

------
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 14th July 2012, concerning number
plates.

As the vehicle is fitted with a Q plate you are correct in saying that the
MOT test limits applied will be those of a vehicle first used before the
1st January 1971. Due to this the old style Black and Silver number plates
you are refering to in your email would be acceptable for the purposes of
the MOT.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have
any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards

Rebecca
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Operations Directorate
Tel: 0300 123 9000

----------

There you go, another public service post .

Off to order my new plates,

Bye all.

Rich

loggyboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
OK, well I have to apologise to the WSCC member whose comments I was doubting in the above post regarding Black and Silver number plates for Q plated cars..

I have had an email from VOSA that confirms that these plates legal for use on a Q plated car.

------
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 14th July 2012, concerning number
plates.

As the vehicle is fitted with a Q plate you are correct in saying that the
MOT test limits applied will be those of a vehicle first used before the
1st January 1971. Due to this the old style Black and Silver number plates
you are refering to in your email would be acceptable for the purposes of
the MOT.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have
any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards

Rebecca
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Operations Directorate
Tel: 0300 123 9000

----------

There you go, another public service post .

Off to order my new plates,

Bye all.

Rich

Thats very interesting that the Mot Manual contradicts C&U regs... I doubt it would ever get to court, but I wonder what would overule...

Could you reply asking them to confirm that the C&U regs do not mention the exemption shown in the MoT manual?

[Edited on 17/7/12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
A friend of our family has a brand new Citroen DS3 with an old black and grey number plate on, not sure if it is personalised or not.

[Edited on 14/7/12 by vanepico]

They is breaking the law then

Mistral Motorsport

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Could you reply asking them to confirm that the C&U regs do not mention the exemption shown in the MoT manual?

No, but you could, I have spent the best part of 3 weeks emailing VOSA with one question or another, so instead of me emailing them again, you do it and let us know what they say, just say you read on your car forum about this situation.

I am more than satisfied with the response on the subject, and have now ordered my plates, the problem with this and many other regs concerning Q plated cars, is that they fail to check what implications a new rule might have on our cars, just as the situation regarding the emissions, one manual says one thing and the other another thing. Contacting them direct is the only way of getting an up to date answer .

The old style plates being the type they are do not reflect any light shown upon them by design, so I will leave that thought with you as to how they may be useful.......

Rich.

owelly

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Here's what the MOT handbook says...
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_630.htm

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I read that site last week, but there is no mention of Q plates on the reg plate part, hence my need to email VOSA.
loggyboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

The full manual states in the introduction:

3. Vehicle ‘first used’ Dates - Application of Test Criteria NT’s will normally be provided with the vehicle details as part of the Vehicle Specific Information supplied by the MOT database. This will usually include the vehicle’s ‘first used’ date. Where this information is available, the NT should only use Reasons for Rejection applicable to the vehicle’s age. However, in cases where this information is not available or incorrect, the NT should determine the vehicle’s ‘first used’ date as follows: a. Its date of manufacture, if the vehicle was originally used without being registered in GB (e.g., an imported vehicle or ex-HM Forces vehicle), or b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971, or c. In any other case, the earlier of either: · Its date of first registration, or · The date six months after it was manufactured. This information should be entered onto the VTS Device to enable the NT to select the appropriate Reason for Rejection

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Mistral Motorsport

gremlin1234

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

a better link is
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4_int.zip

or
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications/manualsandguides/vehicletestingmanualsandguides.htm

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
There you go then, it was legal all the time.

I guess they don't want that information written everywhere since it could lead to abuse by some folks and hence why the information is hard in interpret.

Glad I emailed anyway, as at least now I know I am legal, instead of trying to work out which book , manual, forum posts etc etc are correct.

Yet another thumbs up for a Q plated car, going well this....

ETA.

As Gremlin above has already posted , as I have a black car already I can now, quite legally use stick-on letters directly onto the rear of the car, even better - and cheaper..

[Edited on 17/7/12 by Westy1994]

loggyboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
There you go then, it was legal all the time.

I guess they don't want that information written everywhere since it could lead to abuse by some folks and hence why the information is hard in interpret.

Glad I emailed anyway, as at least now I know I am legal, instead of trying to work out which book , manual, forum posts etc etc are correct.

I wouldnt say that, whilst I agree that your car will pass an MoT, that doesnt necessarily mean its fully compliant with the C&U regs, the MoT just scims the surface. Like I said before, it would unlikely get noticed by the average bobby, and maybe even a VOSA inspector (even if the office monkey has confirmed it) and even less likely to ever go as far as court, but the C&U (ie the law) doesnt excuse post 73 Q regs from using B&W plates.

Not trying to cause an argument, just present the facts as I see them.

Mistral Motorsport

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have already presented the facts to VOSA they replied as per my above post, I think if they were giving out false information it would be a crime also, have you emailed them about it yet?
loggyboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have already presented the facts to VOSA they replied as per my above post, I think if they were giving out false information it would be a crime also, have you emailed them about it yet?

Not yet, and im not saying the info theyve given is false, to pass an MoT you can have B&W plates on a Q, but having a MoT'd car doesnt not guarantee it complys with C&U regs.

Mistral Motorsport

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
And this is where the whole thing becomes a farse, with one site saying one thing and the other another thing, post back the reply you get from them, I would be very interested to see how it reads.

Here is the email address
enquiries@vosa.gov.uk

ETA

If VOSA have said that this is passes an MOT, then by default the car is suitable for use on the road, after all that is what an MOT is about. If the books and sites can not agree with each other then that is not really my problem, and if VOSA say they are allowed, you would think that they are aware that the car will actually be driven on a public road and need to meet the C&U rules. All I have done is present them with the information that they need to say yes or no, in this case it was yes.

[Edited on 17/7/12 by Westy1994]

loggyboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, have sent:

Mots for Q registered vehcles and Black and white/silver Number plates.

Hello,

I was wondering if you could confirm the following:

The MoT manual states:
Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975. For all other testing
purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971..

Therefore this would dicate that it is acceptable for them to have the old style Black and White/silver registration plates.

However in the Construction and Use Regulations (The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001) it makes no reference to Q registered cars, it only states:

PART 3 VEHICLES REGISTERED BEFORE 1ST JANUARY 1973 (OPTIONAL SPECIFICATIONS)
A
Requirements where the vehicle carries a registration plate which is constructed so that the mark may be illuminated from behind by virtue of the translucency of its characters.
1. The registration mark must be formed of white translucent characters on a black background on the surface of that plate.
2. When the registration mark is illuminated during the hours of darkness, the characters on that plate must appear white against a black background.

Could you confirm if there is a contradiction between the requirements, if there is a part of the Construction and Use regulations that exempts Q plates, or if it is accepted that the vehicle can pass an MoT, but yet not comply with the Construction and Use Regulations at the same time?

Many Thanks,

David Garside.

Mistral Motorsport

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, nice one, I have sent a similar worded one, so lets see what they say now.....
coyoteboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Why would the omission for the emissions rules suggest you don't have to meet modern visibility/registration rules?

Seems like an odd conclusion to jump to to me.

quote:

And this is where the whole thing becomes a farse, with one site saying one thing and the other another thing, post back the reply you get from them, I would be very interested to see how it reads.

No really a farce, it's just that the MOT can't possibly test all possible C&U artifacts and since there's a vast variation it just summarised.

[Edited on 17/7/12 by coyoteboy]

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
There is an old saying 'Don't shoot the messenger'

I don't write these rules but simply question them when they appear to be abstract.

quote:

If the rules and regulations were written in one book for kitcars, then we would not be having this conversation at all. There seems to be one rule written here, then another in some other book, followed by VOSA and the C&U regs giving different info.

All I am attempting to establish is wether or not I can legally use a black and silver plate on a Q reg, and in the words of Mr Clarkson - How hard can it be ?!!!! - well very hard by the looks of it....

Davegtst

posted on 17/7/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
It would be great if we could use black and silver plates. They would look perfect on mine.
loggyboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Why would the omission for the emissions rules suggest you don't have to meet modern visibility/registration rules?

Its not to do with the emmsions note, its to do with the areas in bold I highlighted, as in how a car is treated for its 'first used on date'

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.