Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Child proof pc setup
matt.c

posted on 14/7/12 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Child proof pc setup

My kids are starting to use the pc more now. Trouble is they always tend to click on the wrong things and end up messing the pc up. Are there any settings to stop the kids being able to change stuff and make it more child proof?

Also child frendly internet settings would be nice too thanks.

Oh and im running windows 7 on the tower and xp on the laptop.

Cheers guys.

Matt

britishtrident

posted on 14/7/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
First thing to do is setup a user name for them with restricted privileges, and make sure your administrator level accounts are pass-worded. You can do this all through the user applet in the windows control panel.

If you really really want to protect your PC's windows operating system then install Linux as a dual boot (ie you still have Windows) and give them only access to the Linux side of the system.
Linux is just about unbreakable and very very easy and quick to install.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

YQUSTA

posted on 14/7/12 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I would also be thinking about a keylogger if it were me and depending on age, I would go for one that can send alerts for certain words at the very least. some will record everything and send reports including chat logs.

I don't have kids nor have I used a keylogger but it would be on my list of considerations as all the information to get around built in defense systems is on the internet, also if anything is changed you can use the logs in the keylogger to find out what was changed to make reversing it easier.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

Slimy38

posted on 14/7/12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
What I've done for my daughter is set up the restricted account, and then clear out all the start menu options so she can't run anything. All the websites she goes on are shortcutted on the desktop, and it's all I need.....for now.

I am aware that as she gets older, I'll have to lock it down even further. For example, she looks at cartoons on Youtube, but she has had the tendency to click on associated videos which aren't as 'cartoonish'. I'll have to figure out how to stop that from happening, probably set her up with a Youtube account and limit it within there?

When she comes to use Office I'll also add shortcuts for that on the desktop.

vanepico

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, in a few months they should know more about computers than you you can ask them how you can limit their access

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.