Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spongy grass Please Help
matt.c

posted on 21/7/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Spongy grass Please Help

Been to view a house and in the back garden all the grass area was squelchy. All the other grass area's around the house seem to be normal. Not been wet for a couple of days now so i would have thought it would have dried up by now. Back garden grass was cut alot shorter than all the other grass areas and had alot of moss in it.

The house is only 7 years old if that makes any difference.

Im starting to get a bit worried about this situation as i have had an offer accepted for the house and now coming to contract time.

Is there anyone i can get to check it out to make sure nothing is major wrong?

Thanks guys

[Edited on 21/7/12 by matt.c]

spiderman

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Moss will retain water much more than grass will. Due to all the rain we have had this SUMMER! a lot of ground is saturated at the moment, especially if the underlying soil is clay based.

Spider

matt.c

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
Moss will retain water much more than grass will. Due to all the rain we have had this SUMMER! a lot of ground is saturated at the moment, especially if the underlying soil is clay based.

Why do you think it would only be in the back garden and not the front? There is only a brick wall in between them.

mookaloid

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
could be a water main leak or a drain problem.

or high water table or a spring or a soak away or an area of clay which just holds water like an old pond or just an area that never gets any sun.

could be something

could be nothing

a building surveyor would be the sort of person to look at it for you.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

eznfrank

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ours is like that, the neighbour cut down 5 or 6 massive trees which are no longer taking the water in leaving it a bit boggy/spongy
owelly

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
My back garden has two lawns separated by a concrete path. The bottom lawn was very spongey and always seemed wet. The top lawn is the opposite and needs watering to stop it from dying.
After almost two years, the lower lawn (I refrained from calling it a bottom lawn to avoid giggles) is now normal. I bought a cheap electric de-thatching rakey thing from Homebase for £10 and gave it a good going over twice last year and once again at the start of this season. It munched out all the moss and although it left the lawn looking a bit bedraggled for a week or two, most of the moss has now gone and the lawn dries out soon after any wet spells. In fact, I've just cut it a few minutes ago and we've had the wettest few weeks ever, and it looks fine. The top lawn hasn't grown so I've left it!
I'n not saying your prospective lawn is the same as there may be a reason for the moss to be there in the first place. My lower lawn is a reclaimed field so that could explain why my bottom was soggy.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt.c

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would really like to get it checked out by a pro before i sign the contract. Does anyone know of any building surveyors around west norfolk who could do this for me?

mookaloid

posted on 21/7/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
I would really like to get it checked out by a pro before i sign the contract. Does anyone know of any building surveyors around west norfolk who could do this for me?

Ask in the local estate agents - they will know some surveyors.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

StevieB

posted on 21/7/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Best place to find a surveyor is through the RICS

matt.c

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Right ok. I have been let down by someone who was going to have a look at the problem.

I have been told that a building/land surveyor will go around and inspect the garden/house but will only tell me it has a problem and not tell me how to fix it? I know there is a problem but want to know how bad and if its fixable?

Is this true?

If it it true then i really dont want to waste £400+ on them telling me there is a problem.

Would a landscape gardener be able to help?

Time is really running out for me to sort this as they are writing up the contracts this week!

JoelP

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt worry about it myself, on the balance of probability its nowt serious, so id take my chances. Its not likely to be the water supply if its under the back lawn, and in the unlikely event its a soil pipe leaking, you could dig it all up for less than £400.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Irony

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me I would personally get it sorted before you sign the contract. If it is a leaking pipe then it could have implications on the houses stability. Keep an eye out for signs such as walkways that seem raised or manhole covers that seem raised out of the ground etc. If the infected area is a reasonable distance from the property I might be tempted not to worry.

The water and waste pipes can easily run behind or in front of your house. Try and work out where pipesrun by locating manhole covers. If none run through the garden then you might be okay. In my property the whole waste for the street runs through my back garden, down the side of the house and out into the street.

Be also aware that rules and regulations changed last year regarding waste water pipes. If there is a leak it may or may not be your responsibility

big change over link

I smashed a manhole cover on my front drive by driving a van over it. I put a slab over it and waited until the law changed regarding to who was responsible for the pipe. I got a nice shiny new man hole for free (sorry politically correct people - personhole cover)

loggyboy

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Is the spongy garden on the northside of the property? If so its likely thats is in shade more often. Our back garden is in shade alot and every year I have to de moss the garden with lawnsand and raking.

If its more than 5ms away from the house then it could be that there is a soakaway under the garden. But if the house is only 7 years old then it should still be within its intial 10year defect liabilty from the developer (unless it was a one off build).

Mistral Motorsport

matt.c

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
The garden is on the east. I need to get pro help on this one i think. Just need to find a decent company to do it quickly.

zilspeed

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
You're correct.

You need a Chartered Building Surveyor.

Unfortunately, being about 400 miles north, I can't help out.

Please, only take advice from someone who actually visits the site.
Anyone else is not armed with all of the information and is only guessing.

There's no problem with a local Surveyor visiting the site and making recommendations based on that visit.
That's what you need after all.

I recommend that you look them up on the RICS website, as previously recommended.

matt.c

posted on 30/7/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Right i have been on that site and found one local surveyor. I have emailed them and are awaiting an answer.

What will they offer? What will be in there inspection? Had a look on some sites about the surveying but none of them seem to go into depth with reguards the gardens?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.