Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: duratec smoking!!
itsawindupuk

posted on 29/7/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
duratec smoking!!

hi guys, ive been driving my duratec powered mgb for a fair few miles but recently ive noticed it smoking a lot. It seems to be worse as the engine warms up, and then when the engine is hot it smokes a little if i lift off the throttle (high vacuum) and then go back on power. The smoke goes away when im actually going along and put a little power on. Does this sound like valve stem seals? I built the engine myself so i could have missed something or incorrectly fitted the seals.

Adam

snapper

posted on 29/7/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Valve stem seals are the easiest and first port of call.
Worth a look S you can take the cover off.
There are ways of doing the stem seals without taking the head off.
A compression test and a spoon of oil own the bore will give a clue on rings
But don't forget, breather pipes can, if blocked or restricted force oil past the rings

Start simple

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

itsawindupuk

posted on 29/7/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, the compression was 170psi in each bore. i know about the rope in bore technique but im unsure how to compress the spring when the head is in situ
itsawindupuk

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know how?
pjay

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just to check are you certain it is oil and not running rich? Are the plugs oiled up, blue smoke, smell of burning oil etc?
itsawindupuk

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its def not running rich, its light blue smoke. The plugs when i removed them yesterday were oily in cylinders 12+3, 4 seemed much drier.
pjay

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Okay and you've also got oil consumption?

Another one to check is whether you've done the PCV valve modification (or don't need it because you've got vacuum from the inlet running to it). Where do you run the cam cover breather and the oil PCV outlet to?

If it is the valve stem oil seals you may be able check for oil on the stems by viewing through the inlet and exhaust ports on the head (okay on the inlet if you've got throttle bodies but a pain on the exhaust - manifold off).

When you originally replaced the valve stem oils seals you should have had green and black seals, which did you fit to inlet and the exhaust?

itsawindupuk

posted on 31/7/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I replaced them in the correct order, green on inlet and back on exhaust. I did the breather mod and run both breather hoses to a catch tank. Last night I went for a drive and I had a little smoke from lifting off then on power. It cleared once I got going, I then checked oil level and it was low so I topped it up, drove car hard in low gears generating plenty of vacuum and I could not get any smoke. I let it idle for ages, getting hot, drove more, nothing! Weird or what!
big-vee-twin

posted on 31/7/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
You've not got a new cat on by any chance, first time I got my cat up to temp it smoked like hell and then caught fire, must have been some oil in there from the manufacture - frightened me to death, since then absolutely nothing

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

itsawindupuk

posted on 31/7/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced them in the correct order, green on inlet and back on exhaust. I did the breather mod and run both breather hoses to a catch tank. Last night I went for a drive and I had a little smoke from lifting off then on power. It cleared once I got going, I then checked oil level and it was low so I topped it up, drove car hard in low gears generating plenty of vacuum and I could not get any smoke. I let it idle for ages, getting hot, drove more, nothing! Weird or what!
itsawindupuk

posted on 31/7/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Def no cat, just single silencer. Sorry for repeating that last post, stupid phone did it lol
pjay

posted on 31/7/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by itsawindupuk

I guess good news overall. Had the car been stood for a while before?

itsawindupuk

posted on 31/7/12 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
no not at all, im driving it every few days. It smoked a LOT on thursday and a bit on sunday. But so far nothing this week.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.