Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Engine Rubber/Prop shaft
wz1musik

posted on 29/7/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Engine Rubber/Prop shaft

hi,
i have mk indy with fireblade engine, ford donor using ford modified prop shaft attached to gearbox out put with UJ, "hard" mounted and bolted to the prop bolted to the diff.

when engaging gear and on some changes there is a nasty clunk noise and i am advised by AB performance that this is over time going to damage the gear box,

only done a few hundred miles so looking for options to reduce gear box damage.

i have heard of rubber integrated prop shafts that twist a little to absorb shock however they cost around £500. Im looking for a cheaper home build solution?

i have also read some build diaries where people have used Rubber mounts on to the gear box,

has anyone any experience with this and able to advise what can be done to help reduce wear?

much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Wesley

jossey

posted on 29/7/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen a few bike engine kit cars with a modified sierra propo shaft with the rubber shock abosorber thing.

When I got mine from DUNNING & FAIRBANK although I have been advised to rubber mount the diff if possible to make it a little less BANG.

Mine has not shock absorber in the prop and to the sierra diff hard mounted with the bike engine hard mounted too.

I havent had it out yet so I couldnt tell you what its like but I know that the propshafts dont tend to have rubber in them if bought new.

Lets see what others say :O)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wz1musik

posted on 29/7/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Will check them out and see what they got.

do you have solid connection then from gearbox to diff as i do? if so how long has it been like that, how many miles covered approx, any sign of g/b wear, what engine you got?

thanks
wes

Kind Regards

Wesley

watsonpj

posted on 29/7/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I built my car without a TRT in the propshaft and it was very clunky after swapping to the TRT it was much better, but still has a fair few clunks. I would recommend the swap, I got mine from Bailey Morris.
wz1musik

posted on 29/7/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
whats TRT?

Kind Regards

Wesley

Davegtst

posted on 29/7/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Torque Resiliant Tube
jossey

posted on 29/7/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine hasn't been on road yet so couldn't comment mine is trt but has no rubber parts in it.

It will always clunk though. The prop is the same as my friends who had it for 10k at least but gearboxes ain't as strong as car ones.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/7/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
£500?!

I got mine custom made from Bailey Morris for <£350 and they had it done in 2 days excaclty as I specified.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hellfire

posted on 29/7/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you already have the propshaft, Dunning & Fairbank will replace the rear section of the propshaft with a Torque Resilient Tube (TRT - Basically, a tube within a tube bonded together with rubber)

We had ours done in 2005 and at the time, Dunning & Fairbank charged £120 to do the modification, which included balancing and painting. We've since done numerous track days, drag days and approximately 20,000 road miles and the gearbox is still strong.

Give them a ring to discuss - Dunning & Fairbank

Phil

[Edited on 29-7-12 by Hellfire]

wz1musik

posted on 29/7/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for your comments. Perfect answer to fit TRT to my existing prop shaft. And definately in budget. Thanks again

Kind Regards

Wesley

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.