Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how best to approach doing wiring loom for BEC
mads

posted on 30/7/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
how best to approach doing wiring loom for BEC

Evening all,
In process of looking at wiring loom that came with the bike. I've managed to identify some of the key parts of the loom e.g. ECU, EXUP servo motor etc but struggling with some parts. I have the manual and have tried comparing each item in my hand against some of the diagrams but still not completely clear.

Is there another way I can identify each part?

Secondly, should I unwrap the current loom from the plastic wraps around it? Plan is to create my own wiring loom for the rest of the car but not sure how much of the current bike loom I will be using.

Anyone have suggestions on best way to approach the whole thing?

Thanking you all,

mads

p.s. engine is 07 R1.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

maccmike

posted on 30/7/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
when I did mine; (Carbs)
everything i unplugged or cut from the bike, I labelled both halfs with corresponding numbers.
when I had all the required parts off the bike, I opened up the loom and removed every wire I didnt need; lights, horn etc.
fitted required bits to bec and rematched numbers.
It worked first time but looked messy so stripped it all out again, bought load of correctly coloured wire and rewired entirely.
Fortunately for me my bike wiring diagram was on here, used that against the haynes wiring diagram.
hope thats some help.
upload pictures of parts your struggling with and let us know the bike.

maccmike

posted on 30/7/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
sorry just seen bike haha
maccmike

posted on 30/7/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
look at this
maccmike

posted on 30/7/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
its an american build so one or two things may be diff but you should be able to figure stuff out.
ReMan

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't unwrap any more until you've id'd all the connectors, it will make it easier in the long run.
Try and lay it out as though it was on the bike, that should help
Pull enough insulation to see the colours on the wires at each plug, the might eliminate. I thought the R1 was a fairly clear diagram.
This might help?
http://www.robcollingridge.com/kitcar/design/engine/electrics.html

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

twybrow

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Having wired a BEC, and then re-wired the same BEC, I would suggest the following:

1. Decide if you can use the original loom and extend it or whether you want a 2 separate looms (the bike loom for the engine only)
2. Identify everything on the loom and label it - use the wiring diagram and check by cross referencing what connects to what etc. This may require unwrapping the loom to check colours and connections
3. Leave the loom as complete as possible for as long as possible until you can test it all in place (I installed my engine, and then draped the loom over the top for this purpose)
4. Connect the loom to the engine (assuming the engine is fitted) and test it in place
5. Wire by wire, cut out everything you don't need (if you are not sure - leave it in place!)
6. Once you are sure it works shorten or lengthen anything not quite right and cover it in your chosen wrap/tape/conduit

When I rewired, I made it so the engine loom was almost standalone, so if I change the engine, it will be much easier to add in the new engine/loom.

Most of us on here find the wiring the most scary part, but take it wire by wire and you will find it goes really well!

jase380

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
When i put the zx10 ( 05 zx10r ) in my Indy I downloaded a wiring diagram from tinternet and spent a couple of hours sat on the garage floor sorting and labeling it all up, about the only thing i needed to add to the bike loom was a hazard warning circuit. then just extend the loom to reach the lights, horn, indicators etc.you'll need to bypass things such as the stand down, bike down and starting in gear circuits but take your time sorting through the loom, its nothing like as awkward as you would first think. I used savage switches for start, fog light , hazards and a sierra column switch for the lights and inicators. I left the servo motor connected to the loom but tucked it behind the dash and cut the flap out of the manifold ( used the zx10 manifold on my car ) i was advised by Damian at Daytuner to leave the motor in place to avoid having a fault light flashing all the time if you plan on using the bike clocks. Also keep in mind you will probably need to fit a speedo healer and gear position indicator so these will need working into the loom, which as i found to my cost is better done before you tie wrap / tape / heatshrink everything in place..

[Edited on 30/7/12 by jase380]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.