Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Im going to cry!
matt.c

posted on 1/8/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to cry!

What a hell of a crap week im having. Will all the house stuff going on my laptop has just decided to blow up and my boy breaking swmbo's phone!!

Screen black and its not booting up properly. I dont know what to do with apart from smashing it to bits! (childish but would make me feel better)

Havent been on the market for a few years now for lap/notpads etc. Whats about? Anything i should avoid?

Really just use it for the net.

Cheers guys

Matt

vanepico

posted on 1/8/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
All joking aside avoid HP laptops.

There are thousands of ones that will do web browsing etc so if that is what you want it for you should find one.

If you are looking for more I would not recommend you get a high spec laptop, they are more trouble than they are worth and are less mobile, get a desktop.

As for the phone was it dropped or just software related fault? It is unlikely if the screen element is broken, that it would all fail at once so I'd say it would probably have had it.

[Edited on 1/8/12 by vanepico]

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

matt.c

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
The phone screen it white and totally dead. Ready for the bin i think.

What about these new IPads etc? Worth having or are they just a fad?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've had several laptops over the years, my work one is an HP at the moment and I agree, it's cr*p"!

I have an Acer which I really like and it seems to be much more stable than some I've had.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

matt.c

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is an acer. Had it 3.5 years. Just looking for something a bit smaller.

vanepico

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say no to an Ipad, it'll be 4-5X the price of a netbook with about a quarter of the functionality, but if you like tech cause it is shiny go ahead!

nick205

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Going against the above I've always had great experience with HP laptops; very stable and hard wearing. That said they have been work laptops and decent spec machines. Previous HP nx9015 did close to 8 yrs professional use often running 10 hrs a day. Current one is ProBook 4530s and is faultless in the year or so I've had it.

I recently bought a £350 Toshiba Satellite C660D for wife and kids and have to say it's pretty naff. Feels really cheap and flimsy, battery life isn't great and the touchpad is hopeless. I wish I'd stuck with HP and gone for a Pavillion-G6 instead.

vanepico

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I recently made a massive long 'review' about my hp laptop on amazon, with just about every fault I have had in the first one and a half years of owning my DV7 pavilion, and two of my mates have had dv6 pavilions do exactly the same things, your old work computers may have been good, but the shite they are releasing now is not fit for purpose, they overheat, the power supply rubber strain relievers break.

They are inventing new technologies, putting it in a new laptop then releasing it before soak testing it, it is pretty pathetic. And they will not extend the warranty on mine, what does that say about the company?

A quick google search for 'netbook' brings up lots, every single one of them is probably capable of browsing but are far cheaper than an ipad

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0034G5GAQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_two?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0

matt.c

posted on 1/8/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the ipad is out then. I think i will go for a netbook. Seem to be pretty cheap and look like they will do for surfing etc.

Any good/bad ones?

vanepico

posted on 1/8/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently Eee PCs from Asus are pretty good, I've never had one but I've heard good things!

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D10&q=netbook&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8915082518012271466&sa=X& amp;ei=IJYZULSuBcK7hAf3tYCYAg&ved=0CIMBEPMCMAI

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 1/8/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
Apparently Eee PCs from Asus are pretty good, I've never had one but I've heard good things!

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D10&q=netbook&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8915082518012271466&sa=X& amp;ei=IJYZULSuBcK7hAf3tYCYAg&ved=0CIMBEPMCMAI

Had an asus... loved it then HATED it after a very short time after the warranty ran out, it had a crap keyboard, the very small and angled charge jack failed, then the touch pad failed, then the memory slot failed.. then it went in the bin.

Bought an ex Argos Display Samsung N130, full size (read that as very strong) charge jack, very good keyboard and still running strong 2 years later.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Tiger Super Six

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
The phone screen it white and totally dead. Ready for the bin i think.

What about these new IPads etc? Worth having or are they just a fad?

Is it an Iphone, if so hold the button at the top in and the circle button on the front for ages. With them both pushed in it will in the end do a hard reset. I've had that before.

Mark

Tiger Avon

steve m

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
It's an iPad from me, since getting one the laptop is redundant, but will keep it as a backup, personly I found the net book tedious, not sure which one as we borrowed it

Sent from my iPad, on holiday in hythe,kent

Slimy38

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Another one bucking the trend and actually regarding HP as being good hardware. But I think there should be a distinction made. HP business laptops are decent, low powered but reliable. HP personal laptops are high powered but very unreliable. Then again, that can be said for most manufacturers. So in general if you pick up a laptop that was designed for business use you'll get a better quality laptop, even if it's not as powerful as the equivalent priced home laptop.

I've bought a few laptops from http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/, they get ex-company stock and clean them up.

SteveWallace

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for problems with HP home laptops. I have had a lot of trouble with the power supply, charging and battery on mine, which means that it keeps crashing without w
JC

posted on 2/8/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
It's the iPad for me too! A few little quirks about how it handles attachments to emails, both incoming and out going, but other than that, has totally replaced my laptop! Typed from my iPad in a hotel in Nigeria!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a netbook, hardly ever opened the thing as I had to wait for it to boot up. Got a second hand iPad 1 and use it ALL the time for looking up stuff on the net, emailing, watching TV and Youtube and a few fun games. Superb bit of kit and a joy to use.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/8/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
The Aspire One I bought from Dell 2 years ago is still going strong.
It's a little 10.5" thing, does everything from (this) to real-time mapping taped to the dashboard. Was well under £250 at the time I recall.

JoelP

posted on 3/8/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
+1 for problems with HP home laptops. I have had a lot of trouble with the power supply, charging and battery on mine, which means that it keeps crashing without w

very droll

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Fizzer

posted on 5/8/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
we use dell at work, pretty good stuff but we don't buy the cheaper ones so can't comment on them

whatever you get, try to stretch to one with a good solid state hard disk (ssd) - otherwise it will slow down a lot over time.

bj928

posted on 6/8/12 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
i will only buy ASUS, just about to get the asus TF700 tablet, my laptop is ASUS, and when ever i build a PC i always use ASUS motherboard, never had problems with them, had my laptop about 2 years now, and its on 24/7 in a truck thats bouncing around all day every day down the motorways/interstates in america, if and when it goes bang, it will be replaced with another ASUS no questions asked, u will find a lot of parts in other laptops are ASUS anyway as they make a lot of good parts for other laptop makers, but i fund with the ASUS u don't pay a brand name primium.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.