Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LS Engined "7" anyone???
crafty

posted on 1/8/12 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
LS Engined "7" anyone???

http://www.roadrunnerracing.net/the-roadrunner-sr2.html

There's not a lot of photos on their site - I stole these from their Facebook page.

Nice huh!!

NOTE: Due to recent comments, this thread has been turned into a small penis waving competition.

To enter, simply post some negative comments about this vehicle.

[Edited on 2/8/12 by crafty]

Ultima GTR - 600hp Magnacharged LS2
MNR Vortx - Supercharged R1
Porsche 356 - midmounted Audi V8

maccmike

posted on 2/8/12 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
wowzer
PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
Looks superb, love the cage too
scudderfish

posted on 2/8/12 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
I toyed with the idea of replacing my RV8 with one (very dimensionly close apparently), but the engine would cost more than the car did.
daniel mason

posted on 2/8/12 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
how much travel do those front inner wishbone rose joints give in that setup?
i would have thought they should be turned throught 90 degrees

HowardB

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
they look very - very tidy!

I can only imagine that they must be ballistically quick,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

russbost

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but I think that is utterly pointless & a complete antithesis of the original lightweight/great handling & acceleration/braking idea that was behind the 7. If they can ever make that handle then they deserve a prize, looks like a total waste of time, money & effort & it will never put the power on the road, but hey each to their own - I stand ready to be flamed!

& yes, b4 someone bothers to point it out I know the LS is a relatively lightweight engine given its capacity & power, but that's still not gonna be light by the time all the necessary gear to run & cool that is on there. Would be interested to know what the weight distribution front/rear is???

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scootz

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
No idea how well it will turn and stop, but it looks

Would be ace if the chassis could be designed so that Mr IVA mans sphere-of-doom couldn't reach any spikey points as that would be even more awesome if it was on the road naked!

It's Evolution Baby!

scudderfish

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Each to their own. I personally don't like road going F1 look alikes, but I'm more than happy for others to do it if that is what floats their boat. Sometimes it needs no more reason than "I wonder if I can do it?"
Steve Hignett

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Each to their own. I personally don't like road going F1 look alikes, but I'm more than happy for others to do it if that is what floats their boat. Sometimes it needs no more reason than "I wonder if I can do it?"

I'm afraid that I also really dislike road-going F1 look-a-likes. And I also am not sure whether building one with two engines in the back driving individual rear wheels is technicially proficcient in the handling stakes, and wether two engines, two gearboxes, two ancilleries etc is weight efficient as opposed to a slightly more powerful single engine, or a turbo/Scharger bolted onto a single engine....

I think SFish says it in his opening words - Each to their own.

It wouldn't do for us to be all the same and what one person wants in a car isn't necessarily what someone else wants in a car. I would have thought that someone who has designed and built a twin engined F1-a-like would be relatively aware of?

This forum appears to be in decline with regard to the amount of praise that is wafting about in comparion to the amount of overly critical or negative people on here that are just saying (typing) things for effect... (not on about you anymore RB)

I think that Road Runner Car looks like a well packaged project and from the last time I looked at the weight of an LSX engine, I am sure that most of them weigh less than a Pinto...........

Car looks great - naked and clothed.......
Well done!

DH2

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHERlove the cage too

Your head won't - those tubes are way too close for comfort - a triumph of "style" over purpose.

I would also question the longeivity of an MX5 diff with an LS engine! And the front suspension design looks... erm, interesting...

DH2

adithorp

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
They had one at Stoneleigh... and it looked superb.

Packaging is a bit tight but neat and I've seen less space around an engine... most days on tin-tops. LS1 is pretty light and relativly cheap from the 'states and should rival a BUSA package price wise.

As I remember, the one at Stoneleigh had been corner weighted at almost 50:50 front to rear distribution, according to the guy on the stand.

... and yes, for me, it would be a lot higher up the list of possibles than a Furore...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Slimy38

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

Agreed, that seems to be the completely wrong way to mount the rose joints. Even at rest they are at a severe angle, wouldn't take much compression to bottom out? There must be some reason behind them?

Wasn't there a Roadrunner at Stoneleigh with a similarly massive engine? It might have been the green one that's in the background of some of the pictures?

nick205

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Looks fantastic to me!

The chassis looks like a relative work of art compared to most 7 kit chassis I'm familiar with.

Not my engine choice, but if you can and want to then why not.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Iasked that exact question a while ago, linky

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

wylliezx9r

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's awesome. Ok it's not going to be 500 kg but it's still going to be a very light car compared to say a ferrari 458/MC MP4-12C. I see no reason why it wouldnt handle either, ok you would have to be carefull putting the power down. I'm really suprised how compact the engine is.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

FASTdan

posted on 2/8/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I love their chassis design - purely from an asthetic and 'different' perspective. I have no idea without studying it in detail how good the design is, but I doubt those that are criticising it do either?!

Rose joint comments are fair - I wonder if it is sat lower than it should be in the pics though due to only being a mock up. If the joint was at its neutral position I suspect it would provide sufficient travel in either direction. I'm sure I've seen other chassis with rose joints built in this orientation?

As for being my cup of tea - hmmm no I like the small 4-pot approach in a seven, but I dont agree about it being pointless at all. As has been said, sometimes its more a case of 'because I can' or 'lets see if we can'. Nothing wrong with that at all. And of course, performance will be phenominal!!

I think their cars in general 'look' fantastic

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hellfire

posted on 2/8/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

Agreed, that seems to be the completely wrong way to mount the rose joints. Even at rest they are at a severe angle, wouldn't take much compression to bottom out? There must be some reason behind them?

Looking at the chassis in general, I'm pretty sure they've done some fairly major design work on it. Ultimately, the damper length dictates wishbone travel and on that basis, I'm sure the rod ends mounted in the horizontal plane will have sufficient articulation and travel.

Chassis looks great, as does the overall package IMO

Phil

Neville Jones

posted on 2/8/12 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Where are the engineers with the comments on this?

This car can surely only be an artistic creativity effort. Noone would want to get in it and drive it, would they?

Lots of tubes, most the wrong shape and in the wrong place.

And those lower front wishbones, and the coilover mount in particular.....As MacEnroe says...Surely you cannot be serious!!!!

They haven't read the thread on Broken Wishbones, obviously.

No, this can only be an exercise in creativity, aimed at making a shocking impression. They have succeeded admirably.

No responsible engineer would let that anywhere near a track, let alone a public road.

The MX5 rear end???? That engine would pulverise it the first time the throttle was opened fully.

Come on people, wake up and recognise it for what it is. Full marks to the builders for being creative. No marks for applied engineering .

Cheers,
Nev.

crafty

posted on 2/8/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
predictably, this has turned into a small penis waving competition.

.... usually the faster its waved, the smaller it looks.

(not that Ive actually watched a penis waving competition)

Ive fixed the original post so that we all know how this competition works.

wylliezx9r

posted on 2/8/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Where are the engineers with the comments on this?

This car can surely only be an artistic creativity effort. Noone would want to get in it and drive it, would they?

Lots of tubes, most the wrong shape and in the wrong place.

And those lower front wishbones, and the coilover mount in particular.....As MacEnroe says...Surely you cannot be serious!!!!

They haven't read the thread on Broken Wishbones, obviously.

No, this can only be an exercise in creativity, aimed at making a shocking impression. They have succeeded admirably.

No responsible engineer would let that anywhere near a track, let alone a public road.

The MX5 rear end???? That engine would pulverise it the first time the throttle was opened fully
Come on people, wake up and recognise it for what it is. Full marks to the builders for being creative. No marks for applied engineering .

Cheers,
Nev.

Talking about engineers, where's that cheap reverse gearbox that you promised after slating somebody else's idea ?
Remember talk is cheap.

[Edited on 2/8/12 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

D Beddows

posted on 2/8/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
And it also seems to be a new Locostbuilders trend for people to post pictures of a new/proposed car then have an almost instant sense of humour failure when people have the audacity to express an opinion (right or wrong) of their own that differs to the original posters

Anyway, just because something appears badly engineered doesn't necessarily mean it'll stop hundreds of people buying one

JekRankin

posted on 2/8/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
How does the LS1 compare in size and weight to the AJP V8 from the Cerbera? I always thought it would make an interesting engine for a V8 kit. I'm sure its been done, (possibly in a Phoenix?) but have never seen any photos.
DH2

posted on 2/8/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crafty
predictably, this has turned into a small penis waving competition.

So you start a thread, apparently inviting comment, but will only accept those that are wholly positive or align with yours?
Just checking...

DH2

crafty

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
... actually.... I thought you would have gathered that the penis waving competition is not REEAAALLLY that serious.

thanks for your entries......unfortunately negative comments about me don't count.... they have to be negative comments about the car to enter the penis waving competition.

(smiling while I write this - no need to get nasty - this is all just a bit of fun)

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.