Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Please Help Me Determine What V-Belt Length I Need
bigbravedave

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Please Help Me Determine What V-Belt Length I Need

I've restored a big old PTO driven band saw to run on an electric motor just need to buy some belts before it cuts wood for the first time in 50 odd years I'm guessing.

I've never had much luck buying the correct length of V-belt first time. There seems to be loads of online calculators but most don't say if they want the actual pulley diameter the pitch diameter etc etc.

I have two pullies at 20.75" centres. One pulley is 3.25" total diameter (3" pitch diameter) the other pulley is 8.5" total diameter (not sure the pitch diameter for it is but its the same 'A' grove geometry as the small one so Im guessing 8.25" pitch diameter).

I've tried a few online calculator and they all give different answers.

So when I walk into the V-belt shop what length do I need to ask for?!

Many thanks for your help in advance, and go easy on the belt length related jokes!

spiderman

posted on 2/8/12 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
How about using a piece of string or cord to lay along the run of where the belt will go and then measure it's length when removed. That is what I did when I converted my GT6 from dynamo to alternator charging system.

Spider

mark chandler

posted on 2/8/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
as above, that's what I did

set the adjustment 1/2way, bit of cord and measure.

bigbravedave

posted on 2/8/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds logical but would come up rather short as the belt shouldnt touch the base of the grove, infact your better off wrapping a clothes tape arround the outside of both pulleys. It's one them, I've only got scope to move the motor side to side an inch to take up the slack, I often end up buying a belt, cutting it and measuring the difference between that and what it should be. on a 60" belt there's going to be some strech to.
designer

posted on 2/8/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy adjustable v-bely by the length at most bearing suppliers.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/8/12 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with the rope/string theory. To get a belt for my old lawn tractor I got a piece of rope that sat with it's widest point half-way down the V, this was not perfect but it worked OK. I guess if you have the angle of the V too that would help the supplier choose?

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

TAZZMAXX

posted on 3/8/12 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
By my rough calcs, it comes out at 59.5" working on the pitches. The tangential lengths for each side are 20.6" and the angular difference for the contact is 15 degrees total per end, 165 degrees contact for the small pulley, 195 degrees contact for the large. That gives 4.3" circ on the small and 14" circ on the large pulley, therefore 59.5"
bigbravedave

posted on 3/8/12 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks folks. I worked it out to be between 59 and 60 inch to. I will get a 59 and keep fingers crossed
MakeEverything

posted on 3/8/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
as said, if the pulleys are in the centre of any adjustment, an inch can be tensioned out.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.