Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance for Cyclists
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance for Cyclists

A cyclist could concievably cause significant damage to a seven type car. Sooo in the event of a cyclist doing something stupid like driving recklessly or drink cycling and causing damage to your car. What happens insurance wise? Do responsible cyclists have 3rd party insurance?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Do responsible cyclists have 3rd party insurance?

This is the key word here matey...
The answer from people I've spoken to is, some do, Yes!

[Edited on 6/8/12 by Steve Hignett]

SteveWalker

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Some do have specific third party cycle insurance and I have heard that some home policies include it. Most will be uninsured, so if they're at fault you have to sue them and hope they can afford it!
vanepico

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
The day you have to insure a push bike is the day the nation will die. Short of walking everywhere people who cant afford cars will lose just about all freedom, cycling is still in my opinion the best way to get around especially on a nice day, with the only drawback being you can't really go more than 15 miles.

I can't think of a single situation where a cyclist could be at fault, its not like they are fast enough to cut you up, and then it is always the car driver who does that anyway. The difference between the damage a bike can do to a car and the damage a car can do to a cyclist is astronomical.

And all this 'you should have to legally wear a helmet' mumbo jumbo is bollocks, if you took the sh*tty drivers off the road you wouldn't need to!

When I was crashed into while on my bike, caused by, you guessed it, an uninsured car driver! I got the money for a new bike from the Motor Insurance Bureau so I assume they would be the people you would have to talk to.

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Minicooper

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
This is a joke right

"I can't think of a single situation where a cyclist could be at fault, its not like they are fast enough to cut you up, and then it is always the car driver who does that anyway. The difference between the damage a bike can do to a car and the damage a car can do to a cyclist is astronomical."

The amount of cyclists I have personally seen going through red lights for instance is amazing and that wouldn't be there fault if there was an accident as a result??

David

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with most of what you said to be honest, however I can think of many legitimate situations where a cyclist could be at fault!

I don't think its unreasonable that cyclist could clatter a wing mirror overtaking a string of stationary traffic or scrape down the side of my shiny new Aston.

quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
The day you have to insure a push bike is the day the nation will die. Short of walking everywhere people who cant afford cars will lose just about all freedom, cycling is still in my opinion the best way to get around especially on a nice day, with the only drawback being you can't really go more than 15 miles.

I can't think of a single situation where a cyclist could be at fault, its not like they are fast enough to cut you up, and then it is always the car driver who does that anyway. The difference between the damage a bike can do to a car and the damage a car can do to a cyclist is astronomical.

And all this 'you should have to legally wear a helmet' mumbo jumbo is bollocks, if you took the sh*tty drivers off the road you wouldn't need to!

When I was crashed into while on my bike, caused by, you guessed it, an uninsured car driver! I got the money for a new bike from the Motor Insurance Bureau so I assume they would be the people you would have to talk to.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coyoteboy

posted on 6/8/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance for cyclists would be practically impossible to enforce, it would require registration of all cyclists (day hire cyclists, kids, registration of every bike, it'd cost more than VED to administer and be a complete waste of time). As a cyclist and a petrolhead I'd suggest you're better thinking of something else to worry about.

A bike would cause more damage value to a tin-top than a 7, and in either case significantly less damage than a car would. They still are liable for your damages and you can claim them back from them personally, the reason they don't have to have insurance like a car is it's pretty damn rare for them to be at fault in an accident, the damage they do can generally be settled in cash and they're the most likely to be personally injured.

Yes, there are some irresponsible bike owners and users but the vast majority are just as law-abiding as motorists, if not more so.

Each morning on my commute I see one or two red light jumping cyclists and usually the same cyclists being a bit dangerous/breaking a few other laws.
Each morning I see literally dozens of cars breaking speed limits, not indicating, a few overtaking over double whites, red and orange light jumping.

Concentrate on the ~20% uninsured car drivers driving around in poorly maintained 1.5 tonne metal boxes, not the fleshy blobs on little metal triangles weighing in at a total of about 0.1 tonnes and travelling at a max of around 20mph usually.

Quite frankly, as a driver I feel if I can't avoid, overtake or pre-empt a cyclist on the road, I'M the one that shouldn't be driving.

Fatgadget

posted on 6/8/12 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
The law as far as Im aware is cyclists do not need compulsory insurance. Im sure there is a compelling reason for that otherwise draconian legislation would of kicked in yonks ago.

Fact though,Much more damage likely to a cyclist than to a motorist in the event of an accident between the two all things being equal.

gmoto

posted on 6/8/12 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Seen it enough times with motorbikes - which of course are light and unstable enough to be easily quite seriously damaged.

Including one case recently where a friend had a camera on - ok he was coming around a van in a junction, but you could see other cyclists waiting at the red light which the girl with the headphones had ridden through.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, some have seen cases where bikes could cause some damage, no-one argued that, you could feasibly make a few up that you've not seen. The point is how do you possibly work it? You'd need tests, licenses and registrations and insurances for every man, woman and child. For the sake of very very few incidents of very very low value, the effort is just not worth it even if it were enforceable.

We have licenses and insurances for driving lethal vehicles on the road where we could harm others. The fact a bike could cause some small financial damage and possibly a small injury by RLJing does not necessitate developing a whole new insurance racket around such vehicles. Go check the figures on number and values of accidents caused by bikes and you'll see what I mean!

vanepico

posted on 7/8/12 at 05:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, well maybe I'm the only cyclist in all the hundred billion people on this planet that doesn't run red lights?!

These past few weeks I have been cycling up and down the south coast and realizing just how much better it is to cycle rather than driving, no massive 1 tonne cube to find a place to put! And you stay moderately healthy, and you can just coast along the seafront!

I cycled all the way to Worthing Pier last Sunday, that was great fun!

Anyway, I'm off to work, on my bike, to earn money to buy a car

[Edited on 7/8/12 by vanepico]

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Ninehigh

posted on 7/8/12 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Insurance for cyclists would be practically impossible to enforce, it would require registration of all cyclists (day hire cyclists, kids, registration of every bike, it'd cost more than VED to administer and be a complete waste of time). As a cyclist and a petrolhead I'd suggest you're better thinking of something else to worry about.

They manage it in Switzerland somehow...

Macbeast

posted on 7/8/12 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
You have to pay road tax on a bicycle in Belgium. You get a little metal plate which you fix to the front forks. The plate has a number which identifies the owner of the bike

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

scudderfish

posted on 7/8/12 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
Hmm, well maybe I'm the only cyclist in all the hundred billion people on this planet that doesn't run red lights?!

These past few weeks I have been cycling up and down the south coast and realizing just how much better it is to cycle rather than driving, no massive 1 tonne cube to find a place to put! And you stay moderately healthy, and you can just coast along the seafront!

I cycled all the way to Worthing Pier last Sunday, that was great fun!

Anyway, I'm off to work, on my bike, to earn money to buy a car

Come a be a pedestrian in London sometime. A number of us have been killed by cyclists ignoring red lights. My route from the station to my office means I cross three light controlled crossings, at least one will have a cyclist ignore it every time, and that doesn't count those who are too scared/lazy/looking for a short cut and decide to cycle on the pavement instead.

If you obey the rules of the road, I salute you, I just wish others would do the same.

scootz

posted on 7/8/12 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I nearly ran a cyclist over yesterday. I was turning left at a traffic-light-controlled junction and my view of the carriageway I was joining was obscured by a building on the junction corner. So I cautiously turn left and am immediately met by a cyclist with all the gear on who is not only running the red light... but he's riding across the junction diagonally INTO MY FLIPPIN PATH!!!

Needless to say, he felt my wrath!

It's Evolution Baby!

Staple balls

posted on 7/8/12 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
As I've said on here in the past, as a cyclist sometimes the safest ways to ride are illegal or wee off other road users.

If I don't feel safe at a junction (due to it being weirdly positioned, me not being visible etc.) I'll jump a light, providing it's safe and clear.

Pavements are fair play too if they're empty and the road isn't usable safely.

Also, I'll ride dead centre in my lane if I have to to be seen, or to not end up forced into the gutter, pisses some drivers right off.

Equally, if I'm riding with the kid, we'll be 2 abreast wherever possible so we don't get passed too fast, as he's not totally confident on the road just yet.

I try to ride within the law, but due to a lot of incompetent and ignorant road users, I'll ride in a way which keeps me safe.

As far as insurance goes, I used to have it mainly to cover theft living in a city. Wasn't cheap, but well worth the peace of mind. Now I live somewhere you can park £8k of bikes on the front, unlocked and people will leave them alone. Not entirely worth the cover.

kevmcdo

posted on 7/8/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
In most cases cycles and vehicles manage to get through using the same peace of road with no drama, it is like a few have said that spoil it with their actions. Cycles that either run red lights or leave the road and join the path at red lights?? Car drivers that don't give them an inch when passing or stick right too their rear wheel pressurising them!
My pet hate is when the cycles come up my blind side at junctions when in the truck, even though my indicator is on in plenty time, big stickers on the rear warning them not too and an audible warning alarm that I can hear when the window is down without fail they still come right up the inside and wonder why the get run over!?!?
Every truck driver I speak to who delivers inner city say it is their biggest fear and no matter how much they check their mirrors they always have some one come into their blind spots.
Is it ignorance, lack of training or just the don't give a damned attitude???

Slimy38

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I think if I spent a lot of time on a bike I would consider it. It's only a token amount per year, and if it meant that I wouldn't lose thousands due to me accidentally hitting a wing mirror or scraping a car then I think it's fair. It's like a helmet, you pray to god that you never need to take advantage of it's padded lining but you still wear it 'just in case'.

Obviously the whole 'cyclist vs car' thing is another discussion, thankfully with me doing mostly motorway miles I rarely see cyclists on the road.

karlak

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
We have lots of "road racer" types around our Village roads, probably as we are elevated so the roads in and out provide a "good run" for them.

I have to say, some of them are a right pain. Only last week, I was entering my road which does have parked cars either side and saw three of these cyclists in the distance along way behind me. I was approaching my drive and indicated left, just before my drive was a parked van delivering something. Checked my mirrors and blind spot as the paths are used by a lot of young children. All clear so I turn left on to my drive.

Well how the cyclist missed me is beyond belief, he swerved and just missed me, almost colliding with the brick wall in front of my house. It really shook me up, he could have been killed. His riding partner stopped and got a rollicking from me. A motorist behind me stopped and said he had followed them through the entire high street and what they were doing was taking to the paths at "full speed" to avoid having to slow down for the parked cars and traffic. A clear example of where I did absolutely nothing wrong and could have been involved with a very serious incident. I was only so relieved that I was literally crawling onto my drive. To be on the paths at those speeds is just mental.

These guys were using the roads as their own personal Velodrome. What they don't understand I think is that, yes they are eco friendly and perhaps more politically correct than car drivers, but when he bounces of the wing of my car and somersaults into a brick wall, he will still be very seriously injured or worse.

A cyclist is the most vulnerable person to interact with traffic, but some of them seem to have this feeling of being invincible

Oh and I worked in London for 8 years walking to many of my jobs and cyclists jumping red lights is a very real risk of causing accidents. I have seen numerous occasions where accidents have happened with pedestrians due to this.

Not that I think insurance is the answer.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

clanger

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
i've got a foot in both camps, being both a regular cyclist, motorcyclist, car owner and seven owner. Insurance for cyclists unmanageable as far as I can see......
this country can't even manage a 100% insurance requirement on registered vehicles, no chance on the millions of bikes on the roads.
I commute approx 100miles/week by bicycle in all weathers, and do training rides of the same distance, so a fair amount of mileage and every day take my life in my own hands doing so. I enjoy the freedom and sense of wellbeing getting somewhere on my bike. I'm one of them you see running red lights, but do so with caution. I don't go just blasting across the junction all gung-ho, I approach with caution, and wait for a gap. As long as I don't cause any pile-ups, accidents or inconvenience motorists with the right of way any problems, I don't see the problem.
I approach with caution and assess the risks bearing in mind the approach of the uninsured driver in an unroadworthy car, applying make-up whilst texting, who hasn't even seen the lights !!!!
There's the problem......... Light jumping kerb hopping loons on two wheels stick out like a sore thumb, but if I had a pound for every driver breaking the law who crosses my path on a daily basis, it'll more than pay for my 3rd party insurance on my bike.
When I'm behind the wheel I give cyclists the room they need, and do not to force them into a 6"wide track next to the curb. Expect the unexpected when you come up behind a bike. On the flip side nothing annoys me more when in the car, is when cyclists ride 2 or 3 abreast where its impractical. Its not the peleton in the Tour......single file please

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
This is a joke right

"I can't think of a single situation where a cyclist could be at fault, its not like they are fast enough to cut you up, and then it is always the car driver who does that anyway. The difference between the damage a bike can do to a car and the damage a car can do to a cyclist is astronomical."

The amount of cyclists I have personally seen going through red lights for instance is amazing and that wouldn't be there fault if there was an accident as a result??

David

ERMMMM, no, I can think of at least one scenario. Even more worrying is that legally, in the eyes of the law according to modern legislation, the car driver would automatically be deemed responsible.

Scenario, side road 'T' junction onto a main road towards the bottom of a moderately long hill. Weather conditions Piddling down with heavy rain and getting dark/evening/darkish. A paved footpath runs down the side of the main road either side of the side road and into it, with 'disabled' access ramps/drop kerbs.

A car driver is sitting waiting patiently at the juction to pull out into the 'busy' main road.

All of a sudden, the car is 'T' boned in the side door by a cyclist who has come down the hill on the foot path and straight across the junction without looking because he has been travellling at a relatively high speed down the hill with his 'hood' over his head and his head down so that he doesn't get 'too' wet on his/her journey home from work/school/where-ever.

This IS a highly plausible scenario AND as I said, the CAR driver would be deemed legally responsible in the eyes of the law.

Now I drive a taxi for a living and although this has not happened to me nor am I aware of it happening, it is worrying none the less, yes the cyclist would probably get hurt, yet, the damage to my car if it were to happen would be significant enough to make my car 'unfit' for work as a Taxi until it was repaired which if it were to get worked on immediately would be likely to take a week in a body shop having a new door fitted and repainted which all costs money plus my loss of earnings while it was being repaired.

So yes a cyclist should have insurance. And as for the number of 'extra' cyclists that I have seen wobbling down the A6 this morning on their expensive looking racing bikes................

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Easiest way to get 3rd party insurance with a bike is to join the CTC. About £50 per year.

There are some dreadful cyclists on the road and in Oxford quite a few are killed.

Good drivers can learn to anticipate what other road users might do and avoid incidents.

loggyboy

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Ive been cycling to work since christmas, and its just like drivers, there are good cyclists and bad. I see some jumping reds, i see them cycing don busy roads with no helmets or hi-vis. However I do think alot of drivers are arogant when it comes to cyclist, but this is quite obviously vice versa to cyclists too. As with everything in life, people mostly think of themselves, whether its a cyclist jumping a red to save 20 seconds, or a driver cutting accross in front of a cyclist trying to shave a fes seconds off their journey, instead of waiting behind the cyclist at 15mph for a few moments.

What should be done rather than 'making' cyclist pay insurance or making them take compusary tests etc, would be some clarity and consistancy in what local authorities and Gov do to promote cycling and the design of cycle friendly road systems.

Mistral Motorsport

rallyingden

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
There's nothing wrong with "Cyclists".....................

Its the Fxxking "Lycra louts" that think they are on the Tour de France riding on closed roads that are the problem.
There is a downhill stretch of road through our village and they come through at speeds they cannot expect to stop at. They have already put one old chap in hospital, if they want to race use a track, we have to !!
I'm going to start carrying some carpet tacks with me

RD

richardh

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
tough one
i saw the aftermath of a guy cycling down a hill
he had a helmet on but as it was hot, had shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt

he had shopping bags dangling on his handlebars
well you know what happens next

he hit a pothole, went over the top and hit his head on the kkerb edge

smashed skull fragments sticking out and an eye socket exploded (sorry for graphics)

his family wanted witnesses to say it was due to the pothole
highways started to argue that he was not wearing hi-vis, proper clothing etc

where does it all end?

our driving test needs a massive overhaul and updating, (same for M bikes too)

We should also treat cyclists in the same way (very contentious i know but if they are also using the same roads as everyone else then WE ALL need better educating and higher levels of skills when out on the road)

How the heck we keep all this in perspective, without all the euro-crap and health and safety madness, is anyones guess.

Time for a change!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.