Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is a 'Welded Gearbox' an instant no no?
vanepico

posted on 11/8/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Is a 'Welded Gearbox' an instant no no?

I've been looking for a 106 for a while and came across a tidy example somewhere in essex but it says it has had the gearbox welded, everything else looks good, it's a diesel which I wanted, it is in silver.

I've never heard of welding a gearbox but why should welding on the gearbox be any different to welding a chassis?

Also it says it has a starter motor problem, despite apparently getting a new one fitted in the year, not sure about this bit.

It says the only problem with the body work is a bit of rust.

What do you think?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201230479895521/

Pete

[Edited on 11/8/12 by vanepico]

[Edited on 11/8/12 by vanepico]

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

phelpsa

posted on 11/8/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
It depends what part of the gearbox has been welded....

There are plenty of cheap 106s about, why bother with one with known problems?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vanepico

posted on 11/8/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
There are loads, but is it wrong to want a first car that does not look like it has been through every hedge, and bollard in the uk?

My dad pointed me to one which is basically the exact opposite of what I wanted, red petrol and it has dents all over it, and no stereo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rLqSvBQUb8&feature=plcp

this one is closer then the one in essex but I'm not sure about it, I know you can't really be picky for your first car but I wanted something that looked moderately respectable

monck

posted on 11/8/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have always found 106's good cars owning both a zest 1.1 and a 106 Gti ..

I thought about a diesel 1.5 but always thought what i thought to be a good one was dearer than a good lower mileage 1.1 as there dirt cheap..

So as the insurance brackets are the same i got the 1.1 instead was a good nippy car about 40mpg did me for my first year of driving ..

Only thing id say is higher the mileage make sure you check the beam for play if you can, beware the axles go on them..

I remember on the 106owners there are always people putting wanted threads for axles don't thing its as bad on the 1.1's ect but my 106 Gti had had a new axle at 85k was about £250 for a refurbished one so worth knowing ..

Ryan

britishtrident

posted on 11/8/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Leave it keep looking loads of keep small car out there condition is always the prime consideration when buying.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/8/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the layout of the 106, so probably talking out my rear end (as usual), but.....

Welded gearbox where the starter motor broke free (or jammed or both), perhaps welded in situ, trying to get the lugs (or whatever) in the right place.... a bit of misalignment and hey ho, a starter motor 'problem'. If that sound/rings true, walk away.

On the original question, no, welding a gearbox isn't a problem.... says someone who many years ago chopped a Hillman Imp gearbox bellhousing and welded that to a chopped off section of Subaru bellhousing...

vanepico

posted on 11/8/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I'll put a wanted thread on here, I know someone was selling one a while back that I would have liked, but it was in the bloody north! And i had no money back then!

loggyboy

posted on 11/8/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Probably means its been ditched or kerbed, the welding to box is likely to have sealed a crack or leaking holes. Not a problem if its done well, but you have ask, why was it welded as well has how.

Mistral Motorsport

rusty nuts

posted on 11/8/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Iv'e seen a welded bell housing that caused the center of the clutch to rip out , wouldn't want to buy one myself
vanepico

posted on 11/8/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well it has 9 months MOT so it either passed with it or had it done afterwards

rusty nuts

posted on 11/8/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
A welded gearbox would not come into an MOT test.
TAZZMAXX

posted on 11/8/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble with carrying out weld repairs to aluminium is that the parts to be joined nearly always have contamination. This invariably comes out into the weld as porosity/cavities etc so unless it has been scrupulously cleaned and prepped, there's always a chance it could fail again. Credit due to them for honesty, and it may be worth a look but I'd be inclined to steer clear.
steve m

posted on 11/8/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Its only a gearbox, and if the cr is cheap enough, buy another box
cant be much hassle for a locostbuilder?

britishtrident

posted on 11/8/12 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Iv'e seen a welded bell housing that caused the center of the clutch to rip out , wouldn't want to buy one myself

Not an unusual failure mode (especially if it was Valeo clutch) more do with the design.

We are all assuming it is the alloy case that was welded knowing the little Pug box well because Rover Power Train made under license the it could be the thin steel cover on the end of the box rusted through or the final drive gear has been spinning on the diff cage. Interestingly Rover and MINI opted not to use the box with diesel engines.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 12/8/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Not an unusual failure mode (especially if it was Valeo clutch) more do with the design.

We are all assuming it is the alloy case that was welded knowing the little Pug box well because Rover Power Train made under license the it could be the thin steel cover on the end of the box rusted through or the final drive gear has been spinning on the diff cage. Interestingly Rover and MINI opted not to use the box with diesel engines.

The clutch failure I mentioned was caused by a very slight misalignment when a cracked bell housing was welded, the clutch had done less than 5,000 miles . I've seen loads of clutch centers ripped out but none like this one was

Wadders

posted on 12/8/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
'Welded Gearbox'.......

Maybe it's someones misguided attempt at a FWD drift car

gunman

posted on 12/8/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
'Welded Gearbox'.......

Maybe it's someones misguided attempt at a FWD drift car

That was the first thought that came to my mind

steve m

posted on 12/8/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
And mine!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.