Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Renting, Big car versus small van?
morcus

posted on 16/8/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Renting, Big car versus small van?

I'm moving house next month to Bristol and I've got too much stuff to fit in the Eunos so I've got to rent something. I think it would all fit in a largish estate car or MPV, or something like a Transit Connect. I'm going to talk to my prefered rental outlet tommorrow, I want to do this myself which requires finding something with an autobox, but if that isn't feasable I've got to rope someone else in to help, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'd rather do it in a van because the space will be better but is there anything else to consider as presumably a car will drive better, and be easier to get hold of with the auto box.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

JoelP

posted on 16/8/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
car might be more economical but van will be much more useful, as the car might prove too small. I guess your choice is limited by what vehicles the hire company has - not seen many autos for hire.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

austin man

posted on 16/8/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
VW transporter can return 40mpg if its not thrashed, just like driving a car Ask me how I Know T5 Owner and loving it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Ninehigh

posted on 16/8/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get someone else to help why not get them to drive the van? Then you don't have to give a hoot how it drives and you don't have to run around looking for an auto one (with the extra "rocking horse poo" option )

morcus

posted on 16/8/12 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
True, but it's a two day trip, which means getting someone to help is going to cost me money.

mark chandler

posted on 16/8/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a big volvo estate, then flog it when finished
morcus

posted on 17/8/12 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I was just on Gumtree and actually thinking that, quite a few estates for £500 with some tax and test, If my insurance company can do something for me I could probably empty the car at Bristol and just weigh it in and have saved money. That does have the inherent risk of it breaking down.

Nickp

posted on 17/8/12 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus That does have the inherent risk of it breaking down.

Which just adds to the excitement If you buy wisely you could even make a few quid

Something like this?

1999 Mercedes-Benz C 200 Estate 1998cc Petrol | eBay

Alternatively if you do have to hire something, the big MPVs (Ford Galaxy etc) often come as autos and are pretty vanlike with the seats removed

garyo

posted on 17/8/12 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
Someone like daysure.com will insure you for a day for £15 for an average £3k banger, so that needed be a consideration. Very easy to do, bang in the reg no and you're done. Seems cheap at £15 but annualises to a £5500 policy !!
morcus

posted on 17/8/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the vehicle needed to be insured with someone else for day insurance to be legal?

britishtrident

posted on 17/8/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
No you can short term insure a vehicle you own or anybody else's vehicle with the owners permission.

With some short term policies you can even road tax the vehicle.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gazza285

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
Someone like daysure.com will insure you for a day for £15 for an average £3k banger, so that needed be a consideration. Very easy to do, bang in the reg no and you're done. Seems cheap at £15 but annualises to a £5500 policy !!

3K is not a banger!

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.