Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just on the road today and broke it! [updated]
parkiboy

posted on 18/8/12 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just on the road today and broke it! [updated]

Just got my plates today so I thought I'd go for a spin and appear to have broke it already!

It's not the first time I've driven it I drove it to my iva test and back twice (60miles) and it was fine, but that was a steady drive and today is the first time I've give it some! The car is an mk Indy r with a hayabusa engine using a hole shot sump with baffle plate.

Basically the oil light came on for a bit on my koso dash, and it started sounding rough with a loss of power also was a smell of burning oil! I checked the oil before and after the run and it is at the full line on the window, or checked the engine for leaks and all seems ok. The oil light didn't stay on for long but then flickered a few times which mainly seemed to be when changing gear. After checking it over I started it up again and it sounded ok again but I daren't drive it again til I've diagnosed why it did it in the first place.

Also the battery is pretty flat ATM it will start it but the electric reverse won't work but doubt this could affect it in the way I have experienced.

[Edited on 19/8/12 by parkiboy]

mark chandler

posted on 18/8/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
does not sound good

Problem with oil lights coming on is that they trigger at very low pressure, typically 15lb when running along you should be
nearer 60psi.

coozer

posted on 18/8/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Take the sump off and make sure the pickup aint blocked or damaged and is in the correct position.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

minitici

posted on 18/8/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Did you check the level in the sight glass with the engine running or stopped?

I know that with GSXR1000's with shortened sumps it is recommended to check the oil level with the engine running at 3000rpm.
Fill until the oil bubble just disappears - then add another 1/2 pint of oil.

Also important that oil filters are 'burped'.

parkiboy

posted on 18/8/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got told to check it with the engine off with the busa??

I'll take the sump off tomorrow and have a look, I didn't do that part (bought part built) I just hope they did it right!

I hope the engine isn't knackered I can't afford a rebuild and shouldn't have to, I did none of the engine work just interior, some electrics and iva prep, I'll be royally pissed of if they have done something incorrectly which is gonna cost me :-/

Bloody first day - the joys of kit car ownership eh lol

maccmike

posted on 18/8/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
yes engine off
DIY Si

posted on 18/8/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
That's all the fun of buying a part built. You have absolutely no idea what's been done or how until you take it apart to check!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

snapper

posted on 18/8/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Acusump
You know it makes sense

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bi22le

posted on 19/8/12 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Drain the oil and look for any metal flakes. Ideally this would be done with warm oil nut in this situation dont start it. Just drain and look.

Your looking for flakes ot small bits of metal so if you spot any metal its bad.

I hope you have not brake it. Burning bol may be overflow so have a look.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

parkiboy

posted on 19/8/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Well i drained the oil and it seemed ok til i poured it out and was left with a sparkly oil tray

As you can imagine i am fuming, first day on the road and this happens and i can only suspect it being an existing problem caused by the guy who built it, i have lost a lot of love for this car now really wish i never bought it, what seemed like a good deal is now going to cost me money i dont have to spend!

Whats this suggest? full rebuild or just top end? and anyone know the cost of a rebuild for a busa?

Davegtst

posted on 19/8/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Oh no, gutted for you.
MakeEverything

posted on 19/8/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt worry about little bits like that, and would try and find the cause of the oil starvation, resolve and re-fill with oil. A few filings like that you might get away with, but be gentle with it. Doing this would certainly be cheaper than a rebuild.

Can i ask if you know where the engine came from? Its possible that no-one would have known the engine could have been damaged or incorrectly installed, so wouldnt get too excited until you know the root cause.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

parkiboy

posted on 19/8/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
it was apparently from yorkshire engines but the previous owner couldnt find the receipt.
loggyboy

posted on 19/8/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
are bike engines like the old A series where they share engine/gearbox oil? if so that level of sparly bits could just be normal? personally i would re fill, new filter and try again. if it dies it dies, just chalk it up to life/experience and buy a new one or get it rebuilt

Mistral Motorsport

DIY Si

posted on 19/8/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
It could be bits from the clutch plates, as the engine and box all need the same oil, and it's a wet clutch. Might be worth opening the clutch cover up and having a look. It'll only cost you a gasket to do it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

bi22le

posted on 19/8/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Any more close ups of the bits. Do they look like grains or shavings?

They could be wear from else where.

Correct me if i am wrong but i was under the thought big end shells are the first to go on becs. If Thats the case then it wont be as bad as your thinking cost wise.

Its not like its a conrod through the block situation.

Oh, sorry about my previous bad post,1am drunk posting on a phone!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

parkiboy

posted on 19/8/12 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Any more close ups of the bits. Do they look like grains or shavings?

They could be wear from else where.

Correct me if i am wrong but i was under the thought big end shells are the first to go on becs. If Thats the case then it wont be as bad as your thinking cost wise.

Its not like its a conrod through the block situation.

Oh, sorry about my previous bad post,1am drunk posting on a phone!!

It's ok I read it drunk so it made sense lol!

The majority or it is orange like rusty grains I think but I'll double check when I get the chance just at the gym at the minute

parkiboy

posted on 19/8/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well i've took the sump off and its not looking good, the bottom was full of metal flakes, mainly copper/bronze in colour

I couldnt see anything obvious wrong but im not a mechanic so ive took a couple of photos to see what you guys think.

Whats my next move?

chris mason

posted on 19/8/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you need to be removing the engine and ordering some new bearings.

You can do it yourself if your up to the challenge (not difficult if you can use spanners and a manual) or send it off to someone else for a bottom end rebuild

Failing that sell it on for spares or repair and buy a replacement.

parkiboy

posted on 19/8/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
It's the bottom end then your thinking, the head should be ok?

I've noticed the bikes are as much as the engines thought about buying one and stripping it down.

dave r

posted on 19/8/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
if you buy the whole bike, you wont loose out by the time you have shifted the rest on ebay....
fairings go for reasonable money if not scuffed/broke

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

parkiboy

posted on 19/8/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've just realised, I think it is missing a baffle plate?

The guy who built it said it has a holeshot racing baffled billet sump, shouldn't they have been a baffle plate between the sump and the block?

But still guessing the lack of this wouldn't cause the engine to give in within such a small amount of use?

ReMan

posted on 19/8/12 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
For some yes, but (no busa expert) think the baffle might be what can be seen in your first pic in the top half

[Edited on 20/8/12 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Davegtst

posted on 20/8/12 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
It has got a baffle plate but it doesn't look like it goes the whole way across. The drain tube is missing ( has to be cut shorter to allow the pickup to swing) but that shouldn't make any difference.
Davegtst

posted on 27/8/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
How are you getting on with this. Any news?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.