Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kindle - Any Good ?
perksy

posted on 18/8/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle - Any Good ?

Thinking about buying Mrs P a Kindle

Are these any good or are their better alternatives without spending ipad money ?

For instance, what sort of battery life from the Kindle ?

Thanks

austin man

posted on 18/8/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Kobo is another to consider , there are also tablets on the net which can double as e readers and also allow browsing watching films etc for the £120 mark

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

designer

posted on 18/8/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle, without a doubt.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris mason

posted on 18/8/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I bought the wife a Kindle last year, probably one of the best presents i've ever bought her (and most other presents cost 5x the price of Kindle)

Just asked her about the battery life, and she says she can't remember the last time she charged, and she reads for at least an hour every day.

Judging by what i see, i'd guess 100+ hours of reading in between charges.

If your wife likes to read i'm sure you'll not go wrong with a Kindle

jase380

posted on 18/8/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
As above, bought the wife one 18 months ago and she loves it, will do a weeks holiday without charging... and she can read all day when laying on the beach. The good thing i notice with the kindle is it's just like reading a book, direct sunlight does not effect the clarity of the screen, unlike some tablets i've seen which are useless in the sun.
mookaloid

posted on 18/8/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
virtually every review I have ever read puts the kindle at the top.

I have a kindle touch and Mrs Mooky has the regular one. I have them both linked to the same account so we can share books.

I think it needs a charge about once a month or so - seems like a long time anyway. I read a couple of chapters after I got a warning that it needed charging last time.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

britishtrident

posted on 18/8/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Only downside is the screens sometimes go belly up when just out of warranty, Amazon are well aware of the problem but only offer a discounted exchange unit.

Also keep in mind that on bigger smart phones Kindle software for Android works really well.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Staple balls

posted on 18/8/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have a plain old kindle, turn off wifi etc and it'll go weeks without a charge.

Unfortunately I sat on mine and killed it, but they only want £50 for a replacement, so it's not the end of the world.

wylliezx9r

posted on 18/8/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
They are brilliant. And to add normal tablets are poo for reading books on, too much glare and short battery life.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

bobinspain

posted on 18/8/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I asked a similar question a year ago.
I can now report.
We have 2,000 books of which 1,900 are my 'good lady's' 1,700 are crime/murder mystery. For 3 quid from ebay, I quadrupled her library.
The Kindle is an amazing piece of kit. We are both Luddites, and my wife swore she'd only be happy reading a 'proper book.' Not so.
Buy one.

MRLuke

posted on 18/8/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nexus 7 is worth a look, had some rave reviews so far and is the same sort of price.
maccmike

posted on 18/8/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
The doris loves hers
BenB

posted on 18/8/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
How do I get a replacement? I squashed mine on holiday and FUBARd it
Staple balls

posted on 18/8/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
How do I get a replacement? I squashed mine on holiday and FUBARd it

Call em, I think the number is googleable, I got a massively over-enthusiastic american who was very, very happy to help.

BenB

posted on 18/8/12 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Worth a try eh? Will give it a go, cheers Luckily the hotel we were at had a nice store of books which had been left which I raided so I wasn't without reading material for the holidays. Def get a hard cover for it next time...
splitrivet

posted on 18/8/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Kobo's are a good second choice at much cheapness, the 3g Kindle is a steal, free 3g anywhere on the planet the mem sahib can get on facebook on your hols for nowt and you can still use Locostbuilders for free, get in.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

The Shootist

posted on 19/8/12 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Kindle Kindle Kindle.....

Kindle is without a doubt the best, if you just want the plain reader, not the Fire version.

It will go for weeks without changing. (I have been at the hospital with my wife for 5 days (open heart surgery) reading most of the time and it isn't low yet) I keep my radio turned off and if you do that the screen saver ads on the cheapo version pretty much go away.

You can get pirated books if you choose, and most any format can be ripped to Kindle with a program called Calibre. Calibre is literally so easy to use you will think you are doing it wrong at first.

I find that slipping it into a 1 liter zippy bag makes it pretty much water proof, and you can use it sitting in the hot tub or even in the shower.

All of the Google library can be ripped, and all the classics that are in public domain are readily available.

Staple balls

posted on 19/8/12 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
on the subject of ereaders, the kobo vox is an awful, crashy underpowered sack of arse, avoid.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/8/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Another one for the Kindle. I travel longhaul a lot with work and wouldn't be without mine. Battery seems to last forever too

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeR

posted on 19/8/12 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
got my misses one last year. I'm still getting the brownie points. she loves it. we've got a baby and she could feed and read at the same time. ours had a problem with the battery. amazon where great to deal with. I got the 3g version so she could buy books if we're on holiday. she has 3g and wireless off 99 percent of the time, reads up to an hour a day and charges it maybe once a month - ok reality, she pulled a face and couldn't remember when she last charged it and guessed at month. you also get an email address and can send documents to that, amazon convert the files and send them to your kindle automatically.
russbost

posted on 19/8/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Me & the missus got Kindles last Xmas, someone on here (won't mention names he might get inundated with requests) kindly passed on his entire collection for the price of as few dvd's so we now have a mega library.
The screen is really clear & battery life seems to go on forever.
Buy one!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NigeEss

posted on 19/8/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I've the standard 3G version and it's great.
The web browser is a bit clunky to use but it's free anywhere

I guess the touch version is much easier to surf the net with.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/8/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Both my wife and I have Kindles, and they are used every night. I would be very sad if I had to part with mine.
craig1410

posted on 19/8/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest having a look at a Kindle and using it for 10 minutes in the store before buying. I thought about getting one ages ago for my wife as she reads a lot but neither of us could get used the horrible flashing you get between screen refreshes - really irritating.

I've already got an iPad and iPhone (as has my wife now) and we do a lot of reading on those. The battery life of the iPad in particular is very long (several days easily - who cares if it lasts weeks unless you are trekking in the Amazon or something...) and having just gotten back from Tenerife, I didn't have any problems reading by the poolside in super-bright sunlight. I just wear my polaroid sunglasses as usual and turn up the brightness and I'm good to go. To be honest though, if you want to read in the sun in a state of ultimate relaxation then get a subscription to an audio book provider and just lie back with your eyes closed and listen. Much better than either iPad or Kindle and you can then just buy a very cheap iPod shuffle or iPod Nano. I read lots of audio books while commuting (2.5 hours a day) and it is a great way to find reading time which would otherwise just be wasted time.

Try these guys for starters: http://www.audible.co.uk

One other thing - Apple are very likely to be releasing a much cheaper, 7.85" iPad in the next few weeks (probably Sept 12th) and the rumours are that this will be in the $200 range. If they hit that price target then it is likely to all but kill off the already ailing, non-iPad tablet market. Depending on how you view this, it may mean some great bargains for non-iPad tablets or a good reason to get an iPad instead.

Cheers,
Craig.

MRLuke

posted on 19/8/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I'd suggest having a look at a Kindle and using it for 10 minutes in the store before buying. I thought about getting one ages ago for my wife as she reads a lot but neither of us could get used the horrible flashing you get between screen refreshes - really irritating.

I've already got an iPad and iPhone (as has my wife now) and we do a lot of reading on those. The battery life of the iPad in particular is very long (several days easily - who cares if it lasts weeks unless you are trekking in the Amazon or something...) and having just gotten back from Tenerife, I didn't have any problems reading by the poolside in super-bright sunlight. I just wear my polaroid sunglasses as usual and turn up the brightness and I'm good to go. To be honest though, if you want to read in the sun in a state of ultimate relaxation then get a subscription to an audio book provider and just lie back with your eyes closed and listen. Much better than either iPad or Kindle and you can then just buy a very cheap iPod shuffle or iPod Nano. I read lots of audio books while commuting (2.5 hours a day) and it is a great way to find reading time which would otherwise just be wasted time.

Try these guys for starters: http://www.audible.co.uk

One other thing - Apple are very likely to be releasing a much cheaper, 7.85" iPad in the next few weeks (probably Sept 12th) and the rumours are that this will be in the $200 range. If they hit that price target then it is likely to all but kill off the already ailing, non-iPad tablet market. Depending on how you view this, it may mean some great bargains for non-iPad tablets or a good reason to get an iPad instead.

Cheers,
Craig.

I think the only apple product you didnt recommend there was an iMac.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.