Author: Subject: strengh - will it be enough
rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
strengh - will it be enough

i know the standard locost chassis is strong
but i am buiding a locost yank tank with a stupid amount of ponies and torque

will the 1" 16swg be enough?
or should i use a thicker metal tube

or could i just get away with adding a few more supports here and there?

thanks

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 21/9/02 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Adding some more, strategically placed, diagonals will always be more effective than just upping the thickness right through.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
where would you recommend i add the extra support?

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Alan B

posted on 21/9/02 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
My build is nothing like the book so I'm the wrong guy to ask about specifics, but I'm sure some will pick up on this and advise you.
Mine's an MR2 powered mid-engined jobbie
http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

bob

posted on 21/9/02 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
hicost runs nearly 400brake without the NOS,his chassis is as book but a bit wider and a tad longer and copes well enough.

cymtriks

posted on 24/9/02 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
A while ago I posted the results of my finite element analysis of the lowcost chassis. This type of analysis is used by major manufacturers to assess their designs. This is how to up rate the standard lowcost chassis.

All tubes in the original design remain as in the book. Extra tubes are assumed to be 1 inch square with 16 gauge wall thickness. All steel panels, except for the seat belt mount reinforcements, are 18 gauge.

Form a V joining the centre of tube LC to the ends of tube LD. This triangulates the front with the tubes running immediately behind the radiator. The reduction in airflow will be minimal. If radiator, fan or water pipe clearance is a problem then a diagonal or X brace across the chassis in this position may be used. Alternatively a similar modification connecting the ends of tubes FU1 and FU2 may be used but may cause clearance problems with the front of some engine ancillaries.

Form two diagonal braces, one on each side of the chassis, between the tops of tubes LA and LB and the bottoms of tubes FU1 and FU2. This carries the triangulation of the chassis sides right to the front of the chassis and crosses the rectangular hole in each side of the chassis roughly defined by the top and bottom wishbone mounting points. Check that there is room for the steering rack.

Weld in a panel across the bottom of the chassis between tubes E and LD. This replaces the alloy panel referred to in the book.

The next step is to box in the transmission tunnel from tube O3 to tube P. If you are concerned about weight it is worth noting that the ¾ inch tubes forming the frame of the transmission tunnel do nothing if this modification is done. Check a Caterham chassis if you find this hard to believe, it has a very light structure in this region indeed. A single arch over tube B2 may be required to give local reinforcement to support the handbrake or gearshift mechanisms.

Some lowcost builders have reported that the floor is prone to flexing when thin gauge steel is used. Floor reinforcing tubes, running parallel to B2 and just in front of or under the front of the seats may be welded in, one on each side of the car.

We now have:

Chassis with modified front, 18 gauge sheet steel panels and boxed in tunnel with no internal ¾ inch tubes
The stiffness is 2449 ftlbs per degree of twist and the weight is 144 lbs

That’s a good all round improvement for not much effort.

Note that the weight is lower, the stiffness much higher and the number of tubes is reduced compared to the basic chassis built to the book which proves that extra strength need not mean extra weight or complication.

Note that if a Satchel link is used to locate a live axle or Deon axle or if an independent double wishbone suspension is used then the tubes around the back of the transmission tunnel will need to be stronger than ¾ inch and should be 1 inch square as a minimum.

A lot of builders seem to think that extra bracing or welded in panels will just add weight and simply omit it. This is a false economy as a properly braced frame can be made out of smaller or thinner walled tubes thus more than compensating for the extra tubes. My modifications for the lowcost, given above, actually reduce the overall number of tubes by making the remaining tubes work a bit harder for their keep.

All the above was aimed at a standard build. For a bigger engine, especially a US V8, I would suggest using one and a half inch deep upper and lower tubes on the chassis sides (tubes N, J, A, D and F) and on tubes C, G and E. I would also suggest replacing tubes TR with tubes running from the top rails where they join tubes H and FU to the engine mount base positions. This creates a V brace each side of the chassis with the engine mount positions at the point of the V and the tops of tubes FU and H (on the outside of the chassis, not the inside H tubes)at the ends of the V arms.

James

posted on 24/9/02 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Cymtriks,

Really interesting stuff.
What I did notice was that you said it'd be lighter but I can't see from the below info' where you've removed any tubes.
It's probably just me being blind so point out what I've missed willya please!

Thanks,

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/9/02 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
he uses 18 swg for the floor instead of 16, and had omitted the tranny tunnel.

atb

steve

rallyslag

posted on 25/9/02 at 03:01 AM Reply With Quote
well weight isnt the problem really as im using a big iron V8 anyway i just wanna make sure it doesnt bannana under throttle

cymtriks

posted on 25/9/02 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
The weight saving is due to the transmission tunnel tubes being deleted and the sheet steel being replaced by 18 gauge. The transmission tunnel is not deleted; it is replaced by a sheet steel structure of the same size as the original tunnel and is important to the overall chassis behaviour.
twentyover

posted on 4/10/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
This question, I guess, is targeted at cymtriks.

I would think that widening the spaceframe 2 to 4 inches as some have done, or raising it an inch or two would have a significant positive impact torsional strength, in addition to fitting my lard butt better. Without trying to quantify it, do you believe this would improve the strength of the chassis?

cymtriks

posted on 7/10/02 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
making the sides deeper and the frame slightly wider should make things slightly better. I have done a comparison of ladder frame chassis designs and they get stiffer as they get wider. Going from a narrow body, like the lowcost, to full width with the frame side members in the sills, like a Cobra kit, adds about 25% to an X braced ladder frame. I might have a look at wider and deeper finite element models as these seem to be common alterations.
cymtriks

posted on 8/10/02 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have just checked it out by moving the chassis sides 2 inches out on each side from the front to the back of the chassis. The stiffnes goes up to 12% over the book chassis.
rallyslag

posted on 9/10/02 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
how accurate are these messurements?
i know they are done by computer and this is no disrespect towards you
but surley untill somthing like this is tested the stiffness cant really be measured?

cymtriks

posted on 16/10/02 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's a very good question. I honestly don't mind being asked as I was expecting it sooner or later and I'm used to it at work. My experience suggests that my models are within 10% and possibly within 95% of accuracy. I know someone at work who got a finite element analysis result of 1500ftlbs per degree for a Westfield which is similar to my result of 1200 to 1400 for a lowcost depending on the build. I think that my model is slightly more realistic as theirs assumed that the alloy panels were fully load bearing while I assumed they weren't. I know that the two chassis aren't exactly the same but this is a reasonable cross check. As for real tests I got 6300ftlbs for a Stratos replica that acheived "over 6000" when tested and got 7000ftlbs for the Elise which Lotus claimed to have 7350. I would emphasise that finite element results are allways approimate especially with something like the lowcost or other kit car chassis. It is important to know what is and isn't accounted for. All my results are based on the welded steel structure only and do not include fine details such as the shape of suspension mounts and the effect of access holes or brackets. Individual builds can vary a bit one to another so it probably isn't worth going to greater accuracy.
wayner

posted on 17/10/02 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cymtriks are you able to analyse steel frames if carbon fibre strengthening panels are added, I'm interested in a mid mount very light weight BEC and think that if the basic frame is built to locate the suspension and then infill using carbon foam carbon to absorb the flex, it will allow a much narrower front.
cymtriks

posted on 22/10/02 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
In theory, yes. This would add a lot more variables to the model. There is more than one type of carbon fibre panel and, likewise, several different ways that such a panel could be fitted to a chassis. At the moment my chassis models are simple, from an FEA point of view, and are aimed mainly at giving good results for overall distortion and showing up any grossly overstressed regions. Adding composite panels would probably require a much more complex and time consuming model that I might not be able to fit in around my real work. I'm just guessing here as, though I work in the aerospace industry, the work I do relates to metal parts and structures mostly of steel, aluminium and titanium. I would suggest that a better solution for a very light weight chassis may be to use all my suggested mods but with 18 gauge tubes and 20 gauge panels for the whole chassis, except seat belt, drive train and suspension mounts. This would still give a stiffer structure than the book chassis (circa 1800 versus circa 1200/1400) but would be 25% lighter. If your whole car is very light you will get away with 18 gauge for the tubes as some race cars use this tube wall thickness. It may be a good idea to either retain 16 gauge where loads are fed into the structure or to use 1 x 1 and 1/2 inch 18 gauge tubes with the 1 inch face facing the load. Hope this helps.
wayner

posted on 23/10/02 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I had hoped to " tape ( bond using 50mm wide epoxy soaked tape )" in the composite panel as having to rivet in side panels etc is a bit agricultural and we have to fit side panels floors etc any way, why not just make them structural.
Nuclear Jimbo

posted on 23/10/02 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I'd considered bonding the ally side panels to the chassis with structural epoxy and 'belt and braces' Cherrylock rivets - if it works for Thrust SSC, it'll work for a Locost...
paulbeyer

posted on 23/10/02 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
What the hell are cherrylock rivets? and what other flavours can you get?
Nuclear Jimbo

posted on 24/10/02 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
What the hell are cherrylock rivets? and what other flavours can you get?

Cherrylocks are structural pop rivets. In a 'normal' rivet, the two panels are held together with what is basically a thinwall aluminium tube as the steel mandrel has been pulled out by the rivet gun. With a Cherrylock, the mandrel stays within the 'tube' and breaks off flush with the head of the rivet. Because of the extra bit of steel they're about twice as strong as an ordinary rivet and are used in aircraft structures. Cherrymax rivets have a separate collar which locks into the head and are even stronger but are expensive with a capital 'F'

jcduroc

posted on 31/10/02 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cymtriks

The next step is to box in the transmission tunnel from tube O3 to tube P. If you are concerned about weight it is worth noting that the ¾ inch tubes forming the frame of the transmission tunnel do nothing if this modification is done. (...) Some lowcost builders have reported that the floor is prone to flexing when thin gauge steel is used. Floor reinforcing tubes, running parallel to B2 and just in front of or under the front of the seats may be welded in, one on each side of the car.

Following 'cymtricks' explanation I wonder if this central section could not be made of carbon fibre, for the same stifness and rigidity and less weight? Structure and padding should be done in one, with quite a "look".
Could you estimate the figures resulting from such a mod?
Comments please.

Joćo C.M.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 31/10/02 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Jimbo
Hmm, I'd considered bonding the ally side panels to the chassis with structural epoxy and 'belt and braces' Cherrylock rivets - if it works for Thrust SSC, it'll work for a Locost...

I have actually met andy green and mr noble, and touched and been at a presentation of thrust ssc.

We were told that SSC could not have stood too many more runs as it was breaking so many rivets and structural parts every time it went out.

fantastic acheivement.

atb

steve

cymtriks

posted on 6/11/02 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
composite tunnel

I agree that a carbon tunnel would combine a great look with, possibly, a better structure for the chasis. The big problem with this is how it is fixed to the rest of the chassis. Bonded in, riveted or bolted? If boding is used what will happen if rust gets in between the carbon and the steel? Rusting internals can burst open a carbon panel. I'm not sure how to approach a worthwhile FE model of this as not only are there several different ways of fixing the carbon tunnel but there are also a lot of variations of carbon and resin for the tunel itself. A complex model may be the answer but I can't fit this sort of job into spare coffee breaks and lunch breaks! If I can get hold of a simple method of looking at this I'll let you know.

In the mean time I've often thought that a round top, as on a Caterham, looks better and is slightly better from a weight point of view as well. If it is possible to weld stainless steel to ordinary steel then this could look good especially if given a "turned" finish as on vintage race car dashboards.

jcduroc

posted on 26/11/02 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis FEA

quote:
Originally posted by cymtriks
I would suggest that a better solution for a very light weight chassis may be to use all my suggested mods but with 18 gauge tubes and 20 gauge panels for the whole chassis, except seat belt, drive train and suspension mounts. This would still give a stiffer structure than the book chassis (circa 1800 versus circa 1200/1400) but would be 25% lighter. If your whole car is very light you will get away with 18 gauge for the tubes as some race cars use this tube wall thickness. It may be a good idea to either retain 16 gauge where loads are fed into the structure or to use 1 x 1 and 1/2 inch 18 gauge tubes with the 1 inch face facing the load. Hope this helps.

Have you ever analysed an Elan backbone chassis? Or the Spyder replacement one?
Wouldn't a Locost chassis based on that layout, with 18 swg tubes and welded 20 swg steel panels, supplemented by side rails (top and bottom) be more rigid than the book one?

Joćo Matoso

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.