Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A dirty word.....
Rip Van Winkle

posted on 30/8/12 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
A dirty word.....

Hey everyone! Hope you're all well. I've just joined the site after picking up "The book" again as it looks like my circumstances may allow me to have ago at a build.
I've had a bit of an idea, after years of hating Diesel (for no good reason at all), I recently have owned one due to various reasons. And I must confess to being a bit of a convert.
I've also been bouyed by the news that a Norfolk company, Trident, are to start making a Diesel powered supercar (http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/286363/trident_iceni_to_launch_at_salon_priv.html).

What are peoples thinkings on a Turbo Diesel powered Locost, and if positive what engines spring to mind (obviously not to pricey...)

Thanks

Steve

Ivan

posted on 30/8/12 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome and no, diesel isn't a dirty word on here as far as I know - the right choice of diesel motor - i.e. not too heavy and anything over 130 hp would make a really fun and quick car and could be very economical depending on how much you boost power. Weight will be your enemy so choose your motor carefully.
loggyboy

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
This crops up every so often and i think the general concencus is there maybe while there are no terrible reasons not to there are no really great reasons why you should. new diesels are much more refined than the stereotypical tanks the name conjours. however they all have very narrow power bands and which means gear ratios are care fully selected based on the engine and chassis. all modern engines are complex multiplex wiring. most of all a light weight kit doesn't need masses or torque. I've always believed,whilst its great to do something different, doing it differently with out care forthought can often lead you down an expensive long and disappointing road.

Mistral Motorsport

hughpinder

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'm all for it - the only thing I can think of is that the power delivery may not be quite right - turbo diesels generally have bags of low down torque, and I wonder if you might spin the wheels a bit easily. I'm not sure about mating to RWD gearboxes either (except BMW and Merc, but I guess they are pretty heavy engines).
Best of luck
Hugh

maccmike

posted on 30/8/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
years ago I fancied building a rear engined mini with a 2 1/2 ltr audi diesel. Figured the torque would make it rapid.
In something so light though, Im not sure it would actually work with the ''on off'' power delivery.
and you'd need to get the gearing absolutely spot on.
I think you'd be better off with a petrol

pekwah1

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
No, it'll sound like a tractor!

Although i'm a diesel convert for many years now, my sports cars are petrol, it just works better, more response, more REVS!!!!

owelly

posted on 30/8/12 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247471

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MarcV

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I agree on the careful gear ratio choice, but do not so much agree on the whole torque vs horsepower story. In the end it is the torque at the wheels that will make the car accelerate. The narrow power band by itself should not be an issue and it isn't really that narrow at all, I think most diesels run high torque from 1500 to 3500rpm, more than a factor 2.

Also modern turbo petrol engines share the same characteristics, very flat torque over a wide rev. range. They seem to be appreciated. Also modern diesels are complex engines, but so are modern petrols (the downsized turbo charged ones)

I think it comes down to preference. Do you mind the diesel noise (which isn't that apparent on modern ones), the soot, the remarks? Also, the most modern diesels are alloy blocks as well, weights have come down on these engines.

I have seriously considered it when the tax rules changed overhere (making a diesel 7-type free of tax, where the tax on petrols was increased), but decided against it based on the price of the new diesels (let's say 2 years old), the hassle of getting these new ones to work without the rest of the car (electronics) and the fact that I had a petrol engine sitting right there....

So think it over and don't be afraid to be different!

RK

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
At the risk of sounding simplistic, I say you build whatever floats your boat. I like your idea personally. You can put whatever fits in there, and I am sure, with enough mucking around, get it to work well.

I was going for a Toyota RE-22 engine at first (petrol), in my car, but was talked out of it because it "didn't rev very high, came from a truck, etc". I regret that, having never had a Nissan engine work properly. I am on Nissan engine number 3 (an SR20DET this time), and have spent more money than some people make in a year working full time. So go with your idea and expect a few problems along the way. It will be fine.

Chippy

posted on 30/8/12 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes why not, the whole point of a sevenesque car is to be a bit different. I would choose the Volvo 5 pot D5, bags of get up and go!. Regards Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

steve m

posted on 30/8/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO, a diesel is for fuel efficancy, and torque, not for sports type of cars at all

My mondeo 2.0 tdci averages 44-48 to the gallon, pretty well no matter how i drive it, and with or with out a caravan on the back,
It also out accelerated a vw golf, kiddy, who thought he could get me of the lights, and i still beat him, and thats with a caravan on the back!

So stick that engine in a 7, and i doubt it would perform any better, but it would be one VERY heavy lump of metal, (twice pinto weight) to build a chassis to take the strain, and then you will be in a real pickle, if you ever decieded to go down the petrol route

Just my opinion

Steve

Rod Ends

posted on 30/8/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo Diesel Locost 7 running on veg. oil
MarcV

posted on 30/8/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the new alloy 4cylinder turbo diesels weigh in at about the same as the pinto. And with cars also running for example the BMW straight 6, it seems well possible. Yes, a motorcycle engine weighs less.....
daviep

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would have a google of the term "vw m-tdi" pretty easy to get 200hp without any electronics.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Rip Van Winkle

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, more good suggestions! I can see some long nights of research ahead at what sort of set ups I'd need to make stuff work.....
Mwahahaha!

Rip Van Winkle

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Love that American guy, he rocks.That looks like a really cool little car.

I checked out the specs on that D5 engine, 180bhp and 280lb/ft of torque.... It propels a 2tonne Volvo to 60 in 8.6 secs, in a car that would weigh less than a half of that... could be quite spicey!

Liam

posted on 30/8/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think that purely from a performance point of view, modern diesels are a perfectly valid option to be considered along with petrols and bike engines. The power delivery of a diesel is obviously OK for a sports car - ask the Audi Le Mans team. Plus you get easy options for more power with just chipping and winding up boost. I really think it's down just to personal preference nowadays. And that's where I'm 100% out! I'd never dream of making a car that is purely for enjoyment with a dagga dagga diesel engine in it. Would absolutely ruin the experience imhoaap (in my humble opinion as a petrol head)

I just want to add - stop getting excited about diesel torque figures cos they're big numbers. It's a bit of a pet hate of mine how diesel heads go on and on about torque! Yes the flywheel torque figures are higher than comparable petrol engines, but flywheel torque is meaningless. That 'advantage' over petrol engines disappears through the different gearing required. E.g: 150bhp/80lbft@10,000rpm bike engine = 150bhp/150lbft@7,500rpm car engine = 150bhp/240lbft@4,000rpm diesel engine. The diesel engine doesn't win cos it has 'more torques!!!!omg'. Power is a much more meaningful indicator of vehicle performance, power-to-weight ratio much better still. Not torque. The end!

[Edited on 30/8/12 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
six mad

posted on 30/8/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I drive a DPF deleted and remapped E90 330d, around 270 bhp and 500+ ft lb it is very quick and does not feel or sound like a diesel

Best bit is will not go below 40mpg and the torque and way the speedo climbs is fantastic and will
upset many quick petrol powered sports cars.

Diesels will continue to get better and better, go for it.

Rip Van Winkle

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
I think that purely from a performance point of view, modern diesels are a perfectly valid option to be considered along with petrols and bike engines. The power delivery of a diesel is obviously OK for a sports car - ask the Audi Le Mans team. Plus you get easy options for more power with just chipping and winding up boost. I really think it's down just to personal preference nowadays. And that's where I'm 100% out! I'd never dream of making a car that is purely for enjoyment with a dagga dagga diesel engine in it. Would absolutely ruin the experience imhoaap (in my humble opinion as a petrol head)

I just want to add - stop getting excited about diesel torque figures cos they're big numbers. It's a bit of a pet hate of mine how diesel heads go on and on about torque! Yes the flywheel torque figures are higher than comparable petrol engines, but flywheel torque is meaningless. That 'advantage' over petrol engines disappears through the different gearing required. E.g: 150bhp/80lbft@10,000rpm bike engine = 150bhp/150lbft@7,500rpm car engine = 150bhp/240lbft@4,000rpm diesel engine. The diesel engine doesn't win cos it has 'more torques!!!!omg'. Power is a much more meaningful indicator of vehicle performance, power-to-weight ratio much better still. Not torque. The end!

[Edited on 30/8/12 by Liam]

Some good points in there Liam.
I too am a petrol head, and have played with a few different engines and taught myself about turbocharging etc, and yes, the revs and drama of petrol are truely a thing that sends shudders down my spine.
I also grew up on a farm... and have a bit of a soft spot for tractors
I'd love to have a shed full of exotic cars, but i'd still have a decent diesel lugger car, and a couple of classic tractors...and a couple of motorbikes...and a steam engine...and a horse. I know, I'm odd. I like strange things!

Rip Van Winkle

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by six mad
I drive a DPF deleted and remapped E90 330d, around 270 bhp and 500+ ft lb it is very quick and does not feel or sound like a diesel

Best bit is will not go below 40mpg and the torque and way the speedo climbs is fantastic and will
upset many quick petrol powered sports cars.

Diesels will continue to get better and better, go for it.

I like this

Simon

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Saw I saw the Trident thing at Goodwood a few years back - found this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1049151/The-sports-car-Venice-tank.html

so, wouldn't hold your breath.

If I was building again, I'd go diesel

ATB

Simon

Rip Van Winkle

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Saw I saw the Trident thing at Goodwood a few years back - found this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1049151/The-sports-car-Venice-tank.html

so, wouldn't hold your breath.

If I was building again, I'd go diesel

ATB

Simon

Ooooh That sucks, well fingers crossed they've got their act together finally and got it ready for production. It looks like a whole load of fun. Can only hope.

I know it's not for everyone, and will probably be a quite a headache, but I recon its got legs.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.