Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Luego Race Car rebuild for trackdays
puma931

posted on 7/9/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Locost Luego Race Car rebuild for trackdays

Below is my rebuild diary.

Acquired the car like this:

The car has not been raced for a number of years, needs quite a bit of tidying up and came with a spare rebuilt engine

First thing was to remove the crappy fibreglass panels, replace the rear ally panel and fit trailer wheels to the underside as I do not have space for a trailer.

With the trailer fitted I could take it home and contine the work.

After a bit of work I managed to get a rear wing to fit and polished the nose and fitted a red lotus badge.

I tried to recover the crappy old steering wheel, but my first attempt was not that good so I tried again.

Quite happy with the second attempt, so next was to cover the low back bucket seat.

The centre section will be fitted with some shaped camping foam covered in the same material.
Once the seat is fnished I will make a new dashboard as the original one does not look and I don't like the layout. Then I plan to give it a good clean, finish rubbing down the roll cage and then the cage will be painted Ford radiant red, which is an exact colour match

I will add more as I progress.

[Edited on 7/9/12 by puma931]

designer

posted on 7/9/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

With the trailer fitted

Tell is more about this 'fitted' trailer!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 7/9/12 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
The wheels/trailing arms bolt onto welded plates underthe front section of the roll cage. The arm/hitch is also bolted to plates welded in front of the engine mounts. This link has some more info http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=169595
quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

With the trailer fitted

Tell is more about this 'fitted' trailer!

puma931

posted on 12/11/12 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update...

Fitted bike carbs to my crossflow. Things are really tight, but a side exit dizzy cap just about fits. Took a while to get started as fuel was coming out the breathers and where the fuel hose connects to the carbs. After a bit of work the breather issue stopped and tightening the fuel hose stopped the final leak (10mm hose on a 8mm carb pipe do not work that well...) Just replaced the hoses with 8 and 10mm and ordered a new bigger tank.

With my spare bonnet I have managed to cut a hole for the air filter, and I now need to craft a new bonnet. Any tips on forming the curves, and should I cut the filter hole first?

For anyone wanting to fit silicone hoses to a xflow with polo radiator below is a list of parts I used:
1) 32mm bore - 45 degree x 2 (botton and top of rad), 135 degree pump to bottom rad, 1m of straight hose plus 4 ally connector tubes.

2) 16mm bore - 90 degree from pump to expansion tank, 16 mm ally connector, 16 to 22mm hose, 22mm ally connector and 1m of 22mm hose.

3) Stat housing to expansion tank - 8mm 180 degree hose, 8mm plastic connector, 1m of 8mm hose, 8mm plastic connector and 45 degree 8 mm hose.

Please check you own sizes though before ordering. I bought all my hoses from MrSilicone (Ebay) as they were the cheapest I could find for red hoses. Tip - they have numerous ally connectors, some quite expensve, so I always chose the cheapest.

See below all the hoses :-) Just need to sort the oil breather hoses now...

HELP.. ZZR600(E) fuel pump - which is the inlet/outlet? Would like to fit it correctly with my first attempt.

Suggestions on screen - gloss black wrap or 3m Carbon?

Before and After Dash

[Edited on 12/11/12 by puma931]

puma931

posted on 19/11/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wrapped the aero screen and fitted new bonnet.

Final bits to do:
1) plumb in the new fuel tank and filter

2) make a rear diffuser as the tank is quite exposied
3) buy and fit some new headlights
4) buy and fit some new types... might go for A048 (185/60 x 13)
5) fix the leaking axle
6) find somewhere to do a shakedown test
7) In the spring get it on a track

puma931

posted on 18/2/13 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Quick update..

splashed out on a new carbon aero screen and part carbon seats (2).

Plan to wrap the rear end in 3m gloss black.

then just a few small jobs (leaking diff) and it will be ready for some track action

puma931

posted on 9/4/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Car is almost finished

Got my wheels powder coated at www.pumabuild.co.uk (B'ham) for £40 each and really pleased with the colour

I will also take some nicer pictures once it is warm enough to take it out of the garage....

Just need to, weld in the harness bolts, fit the harnesses and seats and that is it!

puma931

posted on 13/4/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Read for a trackday now

vs

[Edited on 13/4/13 by puma931]

Ian Jones

posted on 13/4/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
now that is a good turn around
Rich_p

posted on 19/4/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Did you respray the chassis around the engine bay area with the engine out?

I''m looking forward to your opinion on the performance of the thing once it's used.

I still keep thinking abou the tatty but cheap 750 race car I have seen.

So, so many reasons not to buy it but you know sometimes there's just something about a car/object that makes you want it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.