Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 performance
chicade

posted on 8/9/12 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
R1 performance

Hi guys just finishing off building a Mk Indy never owned a kit before never mind a bec I have fitted a r1 5pw engine with a nice 4 2 1 manifold and power commander std air box with k&n filter 3.62lsd diff I am used to pretty quick cars having driven lots what sort of performance should I expect?
jossey

posted on 8/9/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the diff and tyre size but there is a 0-60 calc on here somewhere and top speed.

I've been in a r1 engine 2006 fury of adithorp and that was very quick. Very very quick. Much quicker than the road going cars.

Check the calculator :-)

David

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 8/9/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
very quick mate! mine was way faster in a straight line than my previous evo 8 on a dry day! not even close in the damp or wet though.
cornering wise id say the evo had the edge too. i just felt more confident pushing hard in it than the 7.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
It depends what "pretty quick" cars you have driven as to how quick you will think it is, BEC's are not realy quick in a straight line, you feel like your going faster than you are, but they are alot of fun and a buzz to drive
Dangle_kt

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
0-60 around 4 seconds depending on your abilities and your level of mechanical sympathy.

I've not had any fast cars before I got my fireblade BEC, but ridden lots of fast bikes.

Its a whole new type of quick for me, breath taking at times, i'd find myself in 6th thinking....I can breath out now.

Its as quick as a bike IMO, but with the added benefit of being able to stick it into the corners as hard as you like.

You will have a hoot - just try and leave your first outing for a dry day!

chicade

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
What sort of power figures do you think I should be getting? Engine only done 7k and has power commander nice exhaust ??
daniel mason

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
140 rwhp maybe!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I would say 130 bhp at the wheels with a power commander a a good exhaust.
bobinspain

posted on 8/9/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
It depends what "pretty quick" cars you have driven as to how quick you will think it is, BEC's are not realy quick in a straight line, you feel like your going faster than you are, but they are alot of fun and a buzz to drive

Not 'willy-waving' just an observation.

I've had an Elise-135 MK1 and a Lotus 340-R (12 years ago admittedly). They were way quicker from 'a' to 'b' than other cars I've owned in 45 years of driving. My Indy (Busa) is in a different league in a straight line. (175bhp at the wheels).

I tracked both Lotus cars and pushed as only you can on the track (spun the 340-R at Cadwell).

adithorp

posted on 8/9/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
OP if you come along to the Apex track day at Blyton park on the 29Sept I'll give you a demo' of what to expect.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

chicade

posted on 8/9/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
may well have to take you up on that offer weather permitting....cheers
renetom

posted on 8/9/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
power

Hi
We had my son's Indy R1 tuned by Austec Racing in Crawley
The results were 150 bhp on the rolling road.
We were well pleased with that, as it goes like stink.
Good luck
René.

SausageArm

posted on 8/9/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
As already said, it depends what performance cars you're used to, BEC's are quick but if you've been used to driving/passengering in 400-500bhp (or more) cars, which isn't too unusual nowadays then they obviously don't feel as special in a straight line, but they're impressively nimble through the corners and sound great!

My Mac Worx (297@wheels) is the quickest car I've driven/been in, it's just so raw and fun, even in a straight line and because of the relatively low torque output it's easy to drive and put the power down!

quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
quote:

Not 'willy-waving' just an observation.

I've had an Elise-135 MK1 and a Lotus 340-R (12 years ago admittedly). They were way quicker from 'a' to 'b' than other cars I've owned in 45 years of driving. My Indy (Busa) is in a different league in a straight line. (175bhp at the wheels).

That's a healthy power figure for the Busa powered Indy, what spec is it?

probablyleon

posted on 8/9/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
What they said really... It'll be genuinely quick but with the added bonus of feeling even quicker than it actually is due to the type of power delivery / engine note etc. The cumulative effect is fairly frantic to say the least. Had mine on the road for a few days now and I'm still a bit scared of it (don't fancy it in the wet at all).
bobinspain

posted on 8/9/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote

I know nothing other than what I'm told. Custarpants factory build car was dynoed at 174bhp. Mine was as I've quoted. (K8, new engine).

As I said,I'm not willy-waving."

175 or 120? Who gives a toss? I was explaining my experiences.

SausageArm

posted on 8/9/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I know nothing other than what I'm told. Custarpants factory build car was dynoed at 174bhp. Mine was as I've quoted. (K8, new engine).

It was a genuine question because I am actually interested, I'm not trying to be awkward or catch you out.

bobinspain

posted on 8/9/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SausageArm
quote:

It was a genuine question because I am actually interested, I'm not trying to be awkward or catch you out.

I gave a 100% genuine answer. Sorry if the tone offended you. It was dismissive yes, but I wasn't meaning to be rude. As I said, I believe what I'm told. Other folk confirm the figures which correlate with mine as provided by MK via Dyno.

[Edited on 8/9/12 by bobinspain]

SausageArm

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
No offence taken, just a genuine interest.
-matt

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
i should be finding this out soon, mines got the slightly more powerful 2008 4C8 R1.

Im just 22, and most powerful I've owned is a 328 BMW, so i think it will scare the crap out of me!

daniel mason

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
be careful with the 4c8 R1!

BigMac

posted on 12/9/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -matt ... Im just 22, and most powerful I've owned is a 328 BMW, so i think it will scare the crap out of me! ...

I was 22 when I bought my ZX10R powered Westy, the fastest thing I'd driven in anger up to that point was a '99 Integra Type R. So quite a difference in power to weight! The Westy surprised me to say the least, the whole experience is breath-taking- it never scared me, but I was well aware of what I was getting myself into!

As most have said, it's the corners where these things come good- couple the relatively low torque of a bike engine with some decent tyres and you won't (and shouldn't!) find the limit of grip on a dry road.

Ok, so there will be cars that are quicker than it, but combine the engine noise, the manic climbing through the revs, the sequential box and low driving position and the experience is so much better! If it's anything like mine, the odd spit of flame out the side is always good for a laugh, too.

Treat it with respect and you'll be rewarded with a stupid grin, most of the time you're in the driving seat... Although it'll be wiped clean off your face if you get caught in the rain and aren't wearing a lid!

Fieldy

posted on 12/9/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
My Mac Worx (297@wheels)

Bet that is nuts!!

bobinspain

posted on 12/9/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
As most have said, it's the corners where these things come good- couple the relatively low torque of a bike engine with some decent tyres and you won't (and shouldn't!) find the limit of grip on a dry road.

Ok, so there will be cars that are quicker than it, but combine the engine noise, the manic climbing through the revs, the sequential box and low driving position and the experience is so much better! If it's anything like mine, the odd spit of flame out the side is always good for a laugh, too.

Treat it with respect and you'll be rewarded with a stupid grin, most of the time you're in the driving seat... Although it'll be wiped clean off your face if you get caught in the rain and aren't wearing a lid!

I have Toyo 888 tyres on my Busa and we currently have 30c air temp, so the car should stick like glue. However, having 'unstuck' my Lotus at Cadwell (without warning, but by lifting off when I should have stayed 'planted' I'm ultra wary of gunning it unless I've no lock on.
I like baiting GTIs and the like by pootling at just under the legal limit of 100kph. When they overtake me and the car in front of me, I follow them and floor it as they pull in after overtaking.
Crackers! I know, but what a 'grin.' (64 yrs young in 3 weeks time, so I ought to know better).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.