Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor ideas for engine & gearbox
Benzine

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Donor ideas for engine & gearbox

After years of having my car off the road I'm able to get it back to my home garage so I can work on it in the evenings. I'm not using the Volvo straight six anymore. I want to keep it simple this time, what I'm after is ideas for engines to use, specifically a donor vehicle that comes with an engine and gearbox in RWD format. Some things I'm after:

- 150+bhp as standard
- Manual RWD
- Slim gearbox (well, slimmer than my volvo gearbox which is fatty fatty fat fat)
- Can be turbo
- 4 pot or short engines, (no straight sixes or V8s)
- Donor vehicle cost up to about £600 (I'll sell off bits I don't use afterwards and weigh in the shell to recoup some costs. Can include MOT failures that need trailering away if they've failed on things other than the engine/gearbox etc e.g. terminal sills)
- Comes with everything I need to get it running. Engine, gearbox, ECU & loom. I'm happy to modify prop, make engine mounts and exhaust etc.

I've not given it much thought, so far my list is:

- Volvo 940 turbo.

Any ideas?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
There is a complete 940 turbo in a scrapie near me. i was going to rob the turbo but web info says its only a T25.

Top of my list at the mo would be the Jag S type of a 99 vintage.

3L v6, Can be had Manual. 240bhp on the standard ecu and can be had for around your budget. I may even be up for helping out with the ecu as it should be just a posh rwd mondeo.

[Edited on 10/9/12 by big_wasa]

richardh

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
wasn't the 2.5 and 3.0 x types both 4 wheel drive?

Time for a change!

big_wasa

posted on 10/9/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh I get the s and x types mixed up.
Hellfire

posted on 10/9/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've given it quite a lot of thought......

150bhp as standard - Check!
Manual RWD - Check!
Slim Gearbox - Check! (They don't get much slimmer than this..)
Can be turbo - Check! This one isn't though.....
4 Pot - Check! Definitely not straight 6 or V8
Donor vehicle cost upto about £600 - Check! Possibly......
Comes with everything to get it running. Engine, gearbox, ECU and loom - Check!

Experience the dark side......

Phil

[Edited on 10-9-12 by Hellfire]

Benzine

posted on 10/9/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em coming!

I tried clicking on your link, Phil, but this picture just keeps popping up:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 10/9/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote

That's strange, your PC must have some kind of virus..... possibly swine flu........

Phil

Benzine

posted on 10/9/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote

franky

posted on 10/9/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
bmw 318is.
Benzine

posted on 10/9/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
bmw 318is.

Only 138 hp unless I'm mistaken? T_T

franky

posted on 11/9/12 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
The 1.9 make 150 iirc
loggyboy

posted on 11/9/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
A bit left wing, and its not been done before as far as I know....

.... a Sierra?

with the addition of a blacktop zetec? (close to 150, especailly once remapped or on carbs/TBs), or if you 100% MUST have 150 from the outset then a duratec instead.

Mistral Motorsport

Benzine

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
.... a Sierra?

with the addition of a blacktop zetec? (close to 150, especailly once remapped or on carbs/TBs), or if you 100% MUST have 150 from the outset then a duratec instead.

Thanks for the idea but a bit too fiddly tbh, I really want a single donor.

rdodger

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I can't believe no one has said MX5!?

Ok the 1.8 is 140 ish but pretty close.

franky

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
I can't believe no one has said MX5!?

Ok the 1.8 is 140 ish but pretty close.

But heavy and rubbish without forced induction

loggyboy

posted on 11/9/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
.... a Sierra?

Thanks for the idea but a bit too fiddly tbh, I really want a single donor.

Fiddly!?
Almost every 7esq out there is or has been based on a sierra, so part from MX5 or BMW, almost every other route is bound to end up more fiddly in the long run.

Mistral Motorsport

Benzine

posted on 11/9/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Fiddly!?
Almost every 7esq out there is or has been based on a sierra, so part from MX5 or BMW, almost every other route is bound to end up more fiddly in the long run.

I'd have to buy a gearbox and engine from separate places and not from donors so I wouldn't recoup any costs, the zetec wouldn't be making the required power so would need fiddling with. Also I loathe Fords, I feel dirty enough having Sierra diff and brakes. Yes people have done those routes before so things are available off the shelf (e.g. exhaust) but I'd be making that anyway, same with engine mounts, same with everything. Buying everything off the shelf would be expensive as flip. My Indy was supposed to be based around Pinto/type 9 and that needed lots of tweaking for things to fit properly.

PSpirine

posted on 11/9/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a complete 318is engine, a gearbox, propshaft, exhaust & intake, and ECU etc. which would be good. I've not had the engine running as it's only ever been on a lift before I changed my mind to go Zetec. However, it was purchased as a good runner. Gearbox and all other components came from a sub 70k car which I scrapped due to a blown head gasket.

I believe it's even pre-1995 (so it's the 1.8 version with a forged crank) so easy on emissions. Drop a turbo on it, and you'll see 200hp easily.

I'll be getting rid of it soon as it's taking up a lot of space..

I've only gone for a Zetec Type 9 setup due to changing from a Haynes roadster to a Locost and my feet won't fit in the footwell if I make the transmission tunnel wide enough for the BMW box.

loggyboy

posted on 11/9/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I'd have to buy a gearbox and engine from separate places and not from donors so I wouldn't recoup any costs, the zetec wouldn't be making the required power so would need fiddling with. Also I loathe Fords, I feel dirty enough having Sierra diff and brakes. Yes people have done those routes before so things are available off the shelf (e.g. exhaust) but I'd be making that anyway, same with engine mounts, same with everything. Buying everything off the shelf would be expensive as flip. My Indy was supposed to be based around Pinto/type 9 and that needed lots of tweaking for things to fit properly.

It seems your dead set against the simplest option IMO then!
You would only need to source the engine, the sierra donor Gbox would be fine and with the zetec wouldnt even need to change the bellhousing. And if you plan on using seirra diff, shafts and brakes then you arent going down the single donor route anyway.
Even if you increase your £600, your still looking at limited selection of RWD cars:
Sierra
MX5
BMW
Omega/carlton/manta
Volvo
Mercedes
Other older jap wagons that are price loaded due to the drifters.

As for tweaking etc, its a kitcar... if you want a modular build then spend the $$$ on Caterham/westfield.

[Edited on 11-9-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Benzine

posted on 11/9/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer, PSpirine, but still after a single donor that I can recoup costs on, also I can see how it all went together as I take it to bits. I've broken cars in the past and have broken even or made money after selling parts and weighing in.

quote:
It seems your dead set against the simplest option IMO then!
You would only need to source the engine, the sierra donor Gbox would be fine and with the zetec wouldnt even need to change the bellhousing. And if you plan on using seirra diff, shafts and brakes then you arent going down the single donor route anyway.
As for tweaking etc, its a kitcar... if you want a modular build then spend the $$$ on Caterham/westfield.

Simplest, maybe marginally, but also more costly than breaking a one-stop-shop donor and recouping costs. I already have the diff, brakes, hubs etc in my kit car, it was road registered in 2006. I have no problems with tweaking bits and custom fabrication to make things fit, my point was even though the car was designed for the type 9 and pinto, I still needed to fettle bits to fit. Using another donor would be no different.

In this vid you are Lynn. Replace 'a mini metro' with 'additional Ford parts' and 'driving' with 'using'

[Edited on 11-9-2012 by Benzine]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.