Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone been to Venice?
Davegtst

posted on 15/9/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone been to Venice?

It's my wife's 30th coming up and i fancy taking her to Venice for a few days. Is there a good time of year to go and any hotels you could recomend?
peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 15/9/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I have been.

Nice place, I think I went in October or February, just before the place gets flooded. It was a little cold but quieter then and I think better because of that.

I stayed at the Hotel Danieli http://www.danielihotelvenice.com it was amazing but I have been told that the cipriani is better although you have to get a water taxi to get across to the main island.

We ate out every night but had breakfast in the hotel.

Make sure you go to Harry's Bar and as cheesy as it is take a Gondala which will be about 100 Euro but it's romantic and where else in the world would you. If take the trip on the Grande Canal you can go under the Rialto Bridge (not sure how you spell it).

I would go back again just with someone else, but thats a whole different story.

Pete.

AndyW

posted on 15/9/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
We stayed at the Rialto Bridge Hotel, very nice. Went in September a few years ago now and it was during a heat wave. A bit smelly in places but nothing to put you off. Definatley do a gondola trip, we haggled with them and it was about 90 euros. Again we ate out every night and breakfast in hotel.

Nice place really enjoyed it. Have a few pics if you want to see some!!

myke pocock

posted on 15/9/12 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
When we were in Seafeld in Austria a few years ago took a coach trip there (6 hours each way but still worth it for the scenery on the way) and loved it. Plenty to see if you like architecture and chilling out. Pointed my camera at two Russian sailors dressed up in all the snazzy gear and they went ballistic. FFS dont attempt to turn around in the gondola. I got told off by the owner!!! Says I could have turned it over.
britishtrident

posted on 15/9/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
About 5 years back we went for a day trip from Lake Garda the wife liked it I didn't, I founded it over crowded and smelly but we got great photos.

Alternatively Florence is worth a few days visit -- really nice romantic with lots to see.
Or you could go to Naples or Sorrento and see Pompey, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, the Amalfi Coast and all the museums in Naples.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RK

posted on 15/9/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have very strong opinions on Venice: it is truly a GREAT city. Rent an apartment over on the east side of the main island, near Via Garibaldi. Full of natives, not tourists, quiet at night etc., 10 to 15 min waterfront walk to Piazza San Marco.

www.veniceapartments.org/

I wouldn't bother renting an expensive gondola trip; rather, take the gondola taxi (traghetto) across the Grande Canal. For longer trips you don't want to walk, there is the vaporetto (water bus).

It is very safe at night, no matter how dark it gets. Any nefarious people tend to hang around the Ponte di Rialto.

It is not the friendliest place around, at first glance, and they have a weird accent in Italian (from the little I know) but off the main attractions, with a phrase book, people are great, as they are everywhere really, if you give them a chance.

I second what Britishtrident said though; Florence is also fantastic. I love Italy!

zilspeed

posted on 15/9/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I have very strong opinions on Venice: it is truly a GREAT city. Rent an apartment over on the east side of the main island, near Via Garibaldi. Full of natives, not tourists, quiet at night etc., 10 to 15 min waterfront walk to Piazza San Marco.

www.veniceapartments.org/

I wouldn't bother renting an expensive gondola trip; rather, take the gondola taxi (traghetto) across the Grande Canal. For longer trips you don't want to walk, there is the vaporetto (water bus).

It is very safe at night, no matter how dark it gets. Any nefarious people tend to hang around the Ponte di Rialto.

It is not the friendliest place around, at first glance, and they have a weird accent in Italian (from the little I know) but off the main attractions, with a phrase book, people are great, as they are everywhere really, if you give them a chance.

I second what Britishtrident said though; Florence is also fantastic. I love Italy!

Looking forward to Bardolino.

Davegtst

posted on 15/9/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies so far. To be honest we are proably best sticking to the tourist bits, we're not that adventurous.

Andy W, i would love to see the pics if you wouldn't mind.

Fatgadget

posted on 15/9/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
When you get there..never ask a local how to make a Venetian blind.
Lightning

posted on 15/9/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Get a map its a Rabbit warren!!!!!

Steve

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 15/9/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Went there last year for a few days out of season
I wouldn't worry too much about going off the tourist track, you can't really get lost, just get yourself a street map and off you go, you'll always find your way back, it's not such a big place.

britishtrident

posted on 15/9/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a smart phone pre-load the Google maps or Open Street Map for the area.

The other thing worth mentioning is Venice has a main line rail link with Milan via Verona and the bottom end of Lake Garda.
Verona is a really nice old town with a magnificent and complete Roman arena (now used for opera) but as a tourist destination I don't score it quite in the same league as Venice or Florence.

Be aware that even a snack lunch in the major Italian tourist cities can be expensive, the price can vary enormously depending on how close to a tourist hot spot you are. For example the cost of my favourite Italian snack lunch a Piadina ( a ham salad and cheese wrap ) can vary from about 3.50 Euro to 9 Euro so with wine, mineral water and tip a lunch stop for two in a prime location might cost 35 Euro including tip but in an equally nice place one street away could cost only 19 Euro. Spectacular ice cream desserts vary from 4.50 Euro to 9.00 --- even at 9.00 Euro they are worth every cent ;-)
If you are having a quiet day the cost of a lunch in your own hotel is often great value.

For sitting in a cafe watching the world go by the cool aperitif currently in fashion in northern Italy is Spritz which is based on Prosecco with Apperol, it looks like Irn Bru but tastes devine on a hot day.
To really cool down another Prosecco based drink worth trying is Sgroppino al Limone or Frothy Lemon Sorbetto, it is really an equal mix of Lemon sorbet and Prosecco sometimes with a tiny ammount of Vodka and or Lemoncello. Sparkling water can also be added.

The most expensive place in Italy I encountered was Sorrento, we went there to see Pompey, Herculaneum and climb Vesuvius. Sorrento did not impress mainly due to the lingering feeling the whole place was about fleecing the tourist. I would recommend anybody doing the Pompey once in a lifetime experience to stay in Naples or Salerno. Naples in particular is underrated it is packed full of spectacular historic buildings and more major museums than any other city I know. As for Pompey and Herculaneum Wow!!!!!!!

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.