Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Red Top Refresh before install
mcg

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Red Top Refresh before install

After many previous threads about installing a V6 vaux unit into my F27, I have backtracked a bit and decided to go for a red top C20XE. The install will be alot easier given it will be able to use much of the cooling system and (hopefully) engine mounts as well as bell housing used on my 20NE 8v install, and there is a good chance I can get it road registered before the spring.

I have found one at a decent price with older dizzy set up which I am picking up on Thursday. I will be transplanting the shortened sump from my 8v and oil pick up.

Are there any other things that you'd recommend I do whilst the engine is out before I install such as clutch and cam belt?

No history on the red top so no way to know if and when cam belt and clutch was done. Is there any way to tell?

sdh2903

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
May as well while it's out? Would be annoying if anything went/wore out after you'd finished the install.

wylliezx9r

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me I would definately replace the following before installing:

Full clutch assy
Cambelt
Cambelt tensioner
waterpump

Maybe worth getting a compression test done as you have no history of the engine. The last thing you want to do is install it and then find problems. Engines are much easier to work on whilst on the bench.

Just my 2 pennys

HTH Dan

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

pmc_3

posted on 17/9/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Oil pump wouldn't be a bad shout as the pressure relief valves can stick
perksy

posted on 17/9/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Had the pleasure of working on a few of these

Autovaux are good for parts

Replace the cam belt and pulleys, consider going for steel pulleys if your planning on track work
(If not fit a gates branded timing belt kit)

New OE oil pumps have become quit expensive on these, So it might be worth just replacing the oil pressure releif valve with the SBD version or polishing up the standard steel one if already fitted (sticking oil pressure releif valve is a known problem)

Replace the water pump if the history of it is unknown

Check the rear crank seal as this is an XE weak point, replace it if unsure as if it leaks in the car its a pita to do

Modify the cam cover for RWD use if it hasn't already been done, Details on the SBD website

Check the condition of the big end bearings and replace the standard bolts with ARP ones afterwards

You might want to consider carrying out the XE oil gallery modification to the cylinderhead unless your very lucky and yours comes with a Coscast, but it might be better to leave that one for now and seeing how you go

Well worth a good read of the SBD website as there's some really good info on there

Any queries please ask

[Edited on 17/9/12 by perksy]

loggyboy

posted on 17/9/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine on 143k, and put it straight in my first Nova with a new clutch kit, then did about 10-15k and then put it in a 2nd nova, I then did a cambelt, tenstioner and water pump and head gasket.

It then rolling roaded at at 143bhp (at the wheels!)

LOVE THE REDTOP!

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.