Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I finally got it!!!
vanepico

posted on 24/9/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I finally got it!!!

Pete Savage - Car owner!

Cost all of £600, brand new front suspension, 88,000 miles

Did my first motorway drive yesterday, honestly don't know why I was worried! I'm well chuffed! Gotta sort out a sound system now!

[Edited on 24/9/12 by vanepico]

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Coopz

posted on 24/9/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a tidy car bud! Is it your first car? If so great feeling isn't it, although sound systems do add weight
vanepico

posted on 24/9/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Haha yeah great feeling, still getting used to it, not having to cycle everywhere! The speakers in it are a bit crap, even compared to my cheap logitech computer speakers so I'll probably change them. I think I'll leave out the high powered sub, the sound insulation is pretty shite!

It has a stalk radio control but it only connected to the old peugeot TAPE?!?!?! player(it is basically 4 switches on the end of a wire) which I did not have the code for. Quite why a 2000 car had a tape player i do not know! So I got a blaupunkt radio from a mercedes in it It has an ISO C connector on the back so I want to have a go at making an adaptor to get the stalk working.

I've wanted a car ever since I was 4 and I've legally been able to have one for 3 years, but the funds where nowhere to be found!

Cheers for the kind words

Pete

Macbeast

posted on 24/9/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Have fun Pete, but take it easy. Most new drivers write off their first car within 3 months ( well, I did )

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

dlatch

posted on 24/9/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
upgrade the headunit and the door speakers won't cost the earth.
after that just service it and rack up some no claims bonus

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chillis

posted on 24/9/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Have fun Pete, but take it easy. Most new drivers write off their first car within 3 months ( well, I did )

+1 :-(

vanepico

posted on 24/9/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say I did a stupid thing earlier, I went to tescos to get some money out and forgot the put the handbrake on :s luckily my dad's tuiton telling me to always put it in gear saved my bumper! Never done that before in my life!

Chippy

posted on 24/9/12 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
One of my boy's purchased a mint Skoda, old but just like new, lasted four months and he then turned into a mint pile of scrap, drove straight into another car at the trafic lights, how? don't ask me. So take care out there, its not first time driver freindly. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

nick205

posted on 24/9/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast

+1 :-(

+2 although it's roadworthiness was questionable before I pranged it

snapper

posted on 25/9/12 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Every time you get in it
Think
I need to keep my no mains if I want a Locost kit car

Now I'm very old but when your age crashed 2 cars in the first 2 years had a Triumph Spitfire when I was 21 then drove s4it cars till I was 30+
Now I am old I can afford to drive anything I want
What do I wish.... Wish I had kept my no claims and had flash fast cars when I was younger
Keep that no claims, when you get full no claims protect it

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 25/9/12 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
there is one problem with your car - its not old enough !

most bog std. hatchbacks had tapes back then inc. my 2001 focus - CD's cost extra
just be glad you've got any kind of radio that works - my first car was 21 years old when I got it (in 2000) and didn't even have a slot to add a radio !

and like everyone else has said already - be careful out there, you might have past your test but getting your own car is when you really learn to drive - just try to make sure its not an expencive lesson!

-

vanepico

posted on 25/9/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Haha, luckily I got to drive the parents car on and off for a couple of years since I passed my test. Insurance is £766 with key cover for a 20 yo.

JonT

posted on 25/9/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I remember getting my first car...and promptly ramming it into a car whilst not paying due care and attention! Then restored an old classic and threw that one off a fellside...I was always more the learn-by-your-mistakes kinda guy

I think as much as you can warn new drivers off for the dangers of over-exuberance, it's something you just have to kind of learn the hard way...

Jon

"People were created to be loved, things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in CHAOS is because things are being loved and people are being used"

vanepico

posted on 25/9/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Having thought the car was pretty much faultless I pulled away a bit too exuberantly with a few too many revs and I believe, in my inexperienced mechanic career, the clutch may be slipping a bit, then I got the funny smell of burning clutch :s. I'll have to take it easy from now on

vanepico

posted on 26/9/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Only thing I've found so far that doesn't work is the backlight bulb on the clock is blown, it was giving out 1.7v for some reason, never heard of a bulb that low voltage :s

mcerd1

posted on 27/9/12 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ welcome to the world of old french electrics

-

adithorp

posted on 27/9/12 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
When I saw the title I expected this to be from one of the Luddites and they'd been out in a BEC, had an epiphany and were announcing thier intention to rip out the Pinto!

Good luck with the Pug'. Like all cars there are bad ones but most are OK and will get you well up the learning curve. My first car was an Austin 1300. You know you're old when your first car appears in classic car shows... not the actual car as that rotted away years ago.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.