Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving ex-emergency vehicle.
owelly

posted on 26/9/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Driving ex-emergency vehicle.

Now I have bought an ambulance to convert into a camper, I need to know if I have to remove the battenberg decals.
The authority that disposed of it removed the worded decals so it no longer mentions 'paramedic', 'emergency' or 'ambulance', and they painted the blue lights black. The disposal company I bought it off said this was all that was needed, which coincides with what I have read from other ex-emergency vehicle owners who drive them to shows, displays, etc.
However, I found a site which mentioned reflectors and reflective decals are included in lighting construction and use regs, but the site didn't reference to any official site. I've also read that the blue lights are not classed the same as green lights as in blue lights (and reflectors) cannot be fitted, even if they are not working.
So, do I need to remove the green and yellow reflective decals? I will be removing them eventually as I don't want anyone expecting me to stop and administer first aid at an incident, or try to explain to someone why I can't remove a pan from their childs ear, but even heating the decals fails to ease removal without damaging the paint.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 26/9/12 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
i think it depends on the decals.

I used to work for an engineering company who fitted out police/ambulance/fire vehicles, and they have very specific colourings - certain colours aren't allowed for anyone but emergency services.

If you give them a call i'm sure they'll be able to tell you - RSG Engineering linky

its been a while, but ask for Graham or Lisa

BenB

posted on 26/9/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
At car shows I've seen lots of "classic" ambulances which have quite clearly driven there. Don't see what the problem would be. The blue lights might be a bit borderline but I can't see how having stripes down your car could be considered illegal. And I don't think pretending to be an ambulance is a criminal offence.
britishtrident

posted on 26/9/12 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
In a dim and distant corner of my memory ISTR painting over the lense of a light is from the laws point of veiw considered the same as removal ..... but disconnecting or putting a removable cover isn't.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mookaloid

posted on 26/9/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I think I remember a motorcyclist being asked to remove the Hi visibility silver and yellow horizontal reflective stripes from his white BMW with white panniers as he could be accused of impersonating a police officer which could be an offence.

I don't think you are any danger of being mistaken for a real ambulance but to be sure you could stick some vinyl or something over the reflective bits which would stop people from asking you to treat their heart attack

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

zilspeed

posted on 26/9/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
You really need an Anagram of Ambulance on there.

An online generator makes the following suggestions.
These are the ones which don't include some naughty words.
Supptu you which you prefer ;-)

Ambulance
Balance Um
Balance Mu
Cabal Menu
Nebula Mac
Nebula Cam
Unable Mac
Unable Cam
Alb Acumen
Lab Acumen
Album Acne
Album Cane
A Becalm Nu
A Lace Numb
A Camel Nub
A Camel Bun
A Lance Bum
A Clean Bum
A Can Umbel
A Mane Club
A Name Club
A Mean Club
A Amen Club
Cabal Em Nu
Cabal Me Nu
Cabal En Um
Cabal En Mu
Canal Be Um
Canal Be Mu
Lama Cub En

owelly

posted on 26/9/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.
Blue lights, or something that looks like a blue lighr, has to be removed or painted over. I'm happy that I've sorted that. And reflective blue decals are specifically mentioned in various VOSA, DfT, DVLA, .gov websites and I'm OK with that. What I can't verify, is the other reflective colours. There are stipulations on who can use what coloured lights, but those regs don't mention reflective decals. It's the construction and use regs that, although they don't specify emergency vehicle lighting, class any reflective materials/reflectors, as lights.
I'm not using the ambo on the road with green and yellow decals until I have a printed copy of the relevant regs to wave it the ModPlod where I work as they WILL have a problem with it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 26/9/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Here we are hiding....

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/9/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
wikipedia seems to be a good source on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenburg_markings

Not Anumber

posted on 26/9/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just add a large Locst Builders logo on each side.
MRLuke

posted on 26/9/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
That does look very much like a normal ambulance in that picture.

From what I have heard tho the reflective vinyl is a nightmare to get off and most people recommend laying it over the top of a normal white vinyl to start with so that it can be removed at a later date.

Depends what your plans are with it really, if you are intending on respraying it then you could rattle can over the reflectors for now or put a big line through them or similar. However if you want to keep the colour scheme as is then its a bit more difficult as it looks very much like a working ambulance.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/9/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I saw an ambulance with 'Paramedic' turned into 'Mobile Phone medic', with all the other stickers on it remaining.

Depite what the law may actually be, there are enough converted campers running around that have retained the two-tone reflectivity. Ambulances aren't all 'emergency' vehicles either, some around here are simply reflective minibuses transporting the aged NIMBY population to the shops and complaining centres.

My Land Rover 109 ambulance doesn't have any reflectivity, it's Olive Drab, but it retains the blue lights and has huge red crosses on the rear and both sides. I've driven this around Europe with no problems, but felt a bit awkward when towing the race car to Kirkistown (NI) 2 months ago! - but again, no issues.

Irony

posted on 26/9/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you remove the word ambulance and remove the blue lights you will be okay. Can you be arrested for impersonating a paramedic?
HowardB

posted on 26/9/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of other vehicles that have the same rear markings - service vehicles and also the motorway wombles have battenberg, they are neither police or ambulance but civilians.

I would make it clear that it is not an ambulance with some additional stickering,....

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

morcus

posted on 26/9/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would think you'd be alright as an ambulance is pretty much a regular vehicle out on the road if it's not got the lights going or sirens, And off the top of my head, I'm sure you can right ambulance on anything as it includes alot of private vehicle types like hearses and minibuses and I doubt they're all fully regulated.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

owelly

posted on 26/9/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
The vehicle cannot have blue lights, or anything that looks like a blue light. That's clear through the Construction and Use Regs. Likewise, there are specific requirements for who can use green or orange lights. It also states that blue reflectors can only be used by folks that are listed. It doesn't say who can use other coloured reflectors but, in a different part of 'the act', it states 'reflectors are considered as lights', but that must only apply to that section of 'the act' otherwise it would mention it elsewhere. Possibly.
I think I'll use it until I'm told not to!
Nee-naaaaww.....

hillbillyracer

posted on 26/9/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
You cant have anything that looks like a blue light? For our banger rally car a couple of years back we had painted baby food tins on the roof of the Astra, a good few coppers looked, most smiled & few did little or frowned but no-one stopped us!
Even as plain to see it wasn't a cop car it was funny to see the change in driving style when folk first saw it behind them!

Ninehigh

posted on 27/9/12 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if you could get away with "Not an ambulance"?

I wanted to do an ex police car with "fake police" on the side to see what happened

britishtrident

posted on 27/9/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I think if you remove the word ambulance and remove the blue lights you will be okay. Can you be arrested for impersonating a paramedic?

Yes you can, There was a serious case about 12 years ago in Paisley of a deluded idiot wannabee paramedic it who was doing just that> The nutter driving an ex-ambulance service Land-Rover he was tuning into the ambulance service radio and turning up at heart attacks and administering drugs and setting up drips then quickly leaving before the genuine guys turned up.

[Edited on 27/9/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jasper

posted on 27/9/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Owelly, keep us posted of your build, I'm thinking of doing the same thing next year

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

owelly

posted on 27/9/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'd start a blog if I knew wtf a blog was....
So far, I've been making the electrics safe. There were big clumps of wires behind the drivers seat that had been hacked through. Must have been a radio and satnav in there.
Also removed window from cab bulkhead ready to fire up the jigsaw tomorrow!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.