Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xflow Timing Cover Removal
Chade

posted on 27/9/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Xflow Timing Cover Removal

Hi all

I need to check my cam timing as currently timing it by ear then checking with a strobe makes it about 25 degrees and timing with the strobe means it won't run at all, i've found a couple of other people on the turbosport forum with the same problem and the cam timing was suggested, so i need to take the cover off but don't really like the idea of having to take the sump off, someone suggested just taking the front sump bolts out to release it.
Anyone here know if thats possible or even if it needs to come off at all?

Thanks in advance

Fatgadget

posted on 27/9/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
No other way that i know of on a Xflow.Sump has to come off first before the timing cover...Then again someone might know different.
steve m

posted on 27/9/12 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
yep, sump off, im afraid
Chade

posted on 27/9/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the very quick replies, I guess it hides some of the bolts or sandwiches the bottom of the cover?
and i'm planning on doing some trackdays with it is there anything I should think of doing while there off. Its a 1300 with leaf springs so its not got the grip for massive speed so I presumed oiling would be fine

Many thanks

David Jenkins

posted on 27/9/12 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Two or three of the sump retaining bolts go into the bottom of the timing chain cover... you might be able to remove the cover by undoing those bolts, but you'll have a rare old job getting an oil-tight seal on the sump when you try to put it all back together.

BTW: if the chain cover hasn't been removed for a very long time, consider fitting a new crank oil seal while you've got the cover off - they're reasonably cheap. I've just done this job, and it's easy enough once the sump's off (the seal fits into the chain cover).

rusty nuts

posted on 27/9/12 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
No need to take the timing cover off to just check the cam timing, have a look at the Burtons website for cam timing instructions or for a rough guide remove the rocker cover , rotate the engine in normal direction until it approaches TDC on no 1 cylinder, the valves on no 4 should then be "rocking" You will have to remove the cover to adjust the cam timing but it would be a good idea to find out which cam you have first? both for cam timing and for valve clearances. Adjust the valve clearances before refitting the rocker cover, incorrect clearances can cause all sorts of running problems . Strobe timing is normally used for ignition timing and from your discription it sounds like the auto advance mechanism may be siezed?? I've never known a strobe to be used for cam timing although a vacuum gauge can be used to good effect. If you have to take the sump off refit it using a competition gasket set from Burtons. the standard cork gaskets will leak!
Chade

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well i took the rocker cover off and found that valves 3, 5, 7, 8 are rocking at tdc and that 2 goes tight around 12 degrees and 1 goes loose roughly 12 degrees before tdc. Would anyone mind checking that against theirs?
I don't know what cam is in it but i imagine it would be standard, clearances are set fine and the mechanical advance seems to be working fine as well

daviep

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chade
Well i took the rocker cover off and found that valves 3, 5, 7, 8 are rocking at tdc and that 2 goes tight around 12 degrees and 1 goes loose roughly 12 degrees before tdc. Would anyone mind checking that against theirs?

That doesn't really make much sense to me, only 2 valves can be "on the rock" at one time at TDC and it has to be a pair. eg 1+2 or 3+4 or 5+6 or 7+8

So from your list if 7+8 are on the rock then number 1 cylinder is firing and both valves should be fully closed for setting the tappets.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.