Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Connecting TV to internet?
coozer

posted on 30/9/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Connecting TV to internet?

Ok, I have two devices, Viera TV and Sky box.. both benefit from being connected to the 'net..

ATM its an ugly cable that the wife comments on daily and I'm sick of rolling it out and back in. She just doesn't 'get' the benefits from the connection I do..

Long term I would put some cable under the laminate but thats a massive task!

Anyone advice me on a wireless way to do it? I have a wireless Sky router that serves her lappy quite well, or, do I need dongles both ends?

Ta.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

40inches

posted on 30/9/12 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have used the Lan over power connectors, got a pair from eBuyer for about £30 2 years ago, still going strong
and streams iPlayer at HD no problem.

Here you go http://www.ebuyer.com/231266-d-link-200mbps-powerline-twin-pack-dhp-307av-b

[Edited on 30-9-12 by 40inches]

KitCatE1

posted on 30/9/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.cclonline.com/product/53826/TL-PA211KIT/Mains-Networking/TP-Link-TL-PA211-200Mbps-AV200-Mini-Powerline-Ethernet-Adaptor-Starter-Kit/NET1610 / get a set of these, its how mine is connected
matt_gsxr

posted on 30/9/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know anything about sky but my Viera TV connects to wifi using a usb dongle (get the proper Panasonic one to avoid pain). Cost me about £40 as I got it with the telly ( http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9094299.htm ). iPlayer is excellent (much better than I have previously experienced). Gives other functionality too (facebook, picassa, etc) but I only use iPlayer.
gremlin1234

posted on 30/9/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
since you have 2 bits of kit, you would also need a network switch by the tv to give enough connections, however, there are some power line units with this built in
for instance:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007I3G3JY many others available too.

you can also get them with wireless access points built in too, which makes quite a neat** way of extending any wireless network.

** just the one plug in box in the lounge, & one near the router

coozer

posted on 30/9/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just remembered I have a Netgear wireless router left over from the move to Sky broadband.

Is it possible to configure that at the telly side to connect both items?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tegwin

posted on 30/9/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
In theory yes, but it would depend on the specific box as to whether it has the correct settings in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

sky12042

posted on 30/9/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just a bit of a heads up. As I work for Sky. Next week sky are reducing the cost of there wireless adapters from £60 to £9.99

So might be worth holding off.

This won't connect the tv. But may be a cheap fix for the sky box.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.