Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Non-starter Please Help!
lordbenny

posted on 2/10/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Non-starter Please Help!

Westfield 2.0 Zetec 45mm Dellortos

MBE Easy Map (Ignition Only)

Engine turns over ok

Wont fire up (Might eventually but VERY rarely after lots of backfiring and puffs of smoke!) Usually drains the battery before it will fire up

Once fired up (bumps starts ok, luckily I live on a hill!), will start ok (but not great) until the engine gets cold again

I've checked the HT leads, new spark plugs, changed the Coil Pack, changed the crank sensor, checked the earths and wiring.

Must be electrical but have no idea what might be causing it, Im at my wits end!

big_wasa

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like over fueling, is the choke sticking ?
lordbenny

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Sounds like over fueling, is the choke sticking ?

Im not using the chokesm most 40 dhla user diconnect the chockes. They are not sticking, Im sure its electrical. The only thing I havnt done is replaced the HT leads. Was hoping I wouldnt need to as it would save £40!

britishtrident

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
With these carbs it is best to move the cold start "chokes" regularly to check they are free otherwise they starting stick -- which only becomes a problem if the engine backfires. But i don't think this the problem the first thing I would do is check the jets are clear and tight and thee is no moisture in the float chambers.

Check the ignition advance curve isn't over retarded or over advanced at the low end of the range .. particularly starting RPM ie below about 500 rpm.

A possible cause could be a the crank sensor or its wiring

[Edited on 2/10/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

lordbenny

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

A possible cause could be a the crank sensor or its wiring

Already changed the coils & crank sensor

Westy1994

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
As you have posted in the electrical bit I am guessing you have totally ruled out fueling, my initial response before I read down was the carbs, but you do seem adamant its electrical.

So, are the plugs fouling with either neat fuel or perhaps oil?, is the timing correct?, has your trigger wheel slipped or moved in any way?, is the trigger pickup too far from the teeth?, ...... running out of ideas here.....

Where are you ?, perhaps a member can call round?

lordbenny

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
As you have posted in the electrical bit I am guessing you have totally ruled out fueling, my initial response before I read down was the carbs, but you do seem adamant its electrical.

So, are the plugs fouling with either neat fuel or perhaps oil?, is the timing correct?, has your trigger wheel slipped or moved in any way?, is the trigger pickup too far from the teeth?, ...... running out of ideas here.....

Where are you ?, perhaps a member can call round?

Im not amazingly technical, but the crank sensor works internally off the flywheel.

The plugs look fine

All the people Ive talked to including Sanspeed in Bexleyheath say it will be electrics.

If I cant work it out its off to Sanspeed anyway.

Westy1994

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
It may well be electrical, but there is not that much to go wrong with a simple ECU for ignition only, as long as all the sensors and triggers are setup and the map is in place it should be fine. Can you check if the map that should be in there is still present, has it possibly set itself to a default map?.
lordbenny

posted on 4/10/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
So, had the battery checked, infact I've checked everything and I am now looking into fuelling!

When the engine turns over on start up with good revs (bump starting/jump starting) the engine fires up ok.

If it doesn't fire up straight away its as if the engine is flooded, puffs of black smoke out of exhaust and an occasional backfire.

Remember that the car is fine when warm.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 4/10/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Check the ignition advance curve isn't over retarded or over advanced at the low end of the range .. particularly starting RPM ie below about 500 rpm.

[Edited on 2/10/12 by britishtrident]

I'd check this first. make sure all electrical are good before moving onto fuelling. Have the carbs been set up are are they in an untuned state?

Westy1994

posted on 4/10/12 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Black smoke would indicate an over rich mixture at that point, as above have the carbs been setup in the recent past, check the float level also, as if it's incorrect it will flood the bores before you get enough crank speed to clear it. One other thing, are the pump jets the right size, they are to squirt neat fuel into the chamber when the throttle is pressed down quickly.

And lastly you don't mention that you have previously had these carbs running correctly in the past, is this a new installation?.

Andy S

posted on 4/10/12 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Double check that the big old earth strap/braid between the chassis and engine is in good order.

Andrew

lordbenny

posted on 4/10/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Earth's are fine.

I do need the carbs set up properly, they havnt been done since I have owned the car and I have had them off once.

So, off to Sanspeed it is!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.