Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto running temperatures
Nige A

posted on 15/9/04 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto running temperatures

Can anyone please advise the ideal running temperature for a pinto (based upon sound experience).

The opening temp of a standard thermostat is 88 but i can not find any reference a running temp. Is it assumed that with a stat in place, and a sufficiently large rad, that the engine will be kept at just over the 88 mark? Yet of course we pressurise the cooling system to increase the boiling point? Mr Vizard in his books suggests a much cooler temp as being ideal but not necessarily on a road car..

I have just covered the first 600 miles since SVA but without a thermostat & the temp varies between about 85 and 100 (100+ on occasions). Needless to say i am concerned about it cooking in traffic with a thermostat.

Any thoughts and advice. Thanks in advance.
Nige

Nige A

mandbsheldon

posted on 15/9/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
pinto temp

I bought standard rad from MK Enginearing, left the thermostat as it was, but fitted a cooler fan switch. Normal Ford cut in around 90/95. I fitted one which cut in at 80. Touch wood it's been fine.

Leigh

Steve Lovelock

posted on 16/9/04 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I run a Pinto with a standard size single core radiator but have set the fan to cut in quite early and it has not gone above 90 in the 400 miles since SVA. Don’t know if I have a thermostat though, never checked. I did get a fan from a breakers yard that I have mounted on the surface of the radiator and it has clear air flow both sides of the radiator. Feel lucky though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.