Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycling, any hints/tips ??
Andybarbet

posted on 11/10/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cycling, any hints/tips ??

I have started cycling again after quite a few years of not doing much due to back problems, cycling seems to give me no issue's back wise so I figured it has to be a good thing.

I am currently doing about 17 miles 3 times a week - I work 8 or so miles away from home so figure if I ride in a few times a week, it must do me some good & save's a few quid in petrol too.

Im enjoying it so far, autumn weather isnt really bothering me too much, I know its not the best time to be doing it but its worth a shot

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how many times I should be going out per week, how far I should go to have a good workout but not to knock myself out too much ? What sort of speed should I be averaging to make it worth while etc.

My current route takes me through the country lanes all the way, quite a few up & down hills, i'm definately working up a sweat so something must be happening !

Im riding a mountain type bike with front suspension, being sensible & wearing a protective cycling hat, gloves (seem to help the hands), drinking lots of water on the way & have lights for when the nights start drawing in.

I have been told that long term I should look for a 'Hybrid' bike with road tyres but at the mo my current ride is free, in good useable condition etc

I am planning on doing the London to Brighton ride next year with a couple of chums who have expressed an interest in getting into cycling, we are all approaching 40 so it seems a good time to try & keep fit.

Also, if I get really into this, what recommendations does anyone have of bikes to look out for ? Im sure I wont be able to afford £400 upwards but £200 might be reachable in a few months, are there any 2nd hand bikes worth looking at ?

Cheers in advance

clanger

posted on 11/10/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
welcome to two wheels, more fitness and more money in your pocket.

17miles is a good commute on a MTB believe me, especially as the weather turns a bit. keep it up and you'll soon see the benefits. Regular riding is the key to maintaining and gaining fitness.

good idea with the lights, the more the better, get some reflective stuff like spoke reflectors, scotchlite tape, arm bands whatever it takes to make sure other road users can see you. and always wear some comfortable breathable clothing. cycling shorts / longs (when the weather really turns). helmet, jacket gloves etc. Theres some decent stuff in Aldi / Lidl every now and again. If you like it then proper shoes and clipless pedals are a must, loose the trainers, you'll thank me for it...

The terrain sounds ideal for a good workout. Bit late in the year now with dark nights coming, but try adding some mileage on the way home for an extra workout. Longer rides on the weekend if you got time. Don't get bogged down with pace and mileages at the mo, just push as hard as you feel comfortable at completeing the distance you plan on riding. My commute is about the same as yours, but sometimes when the mood takes me I'll push the pace a bit, just for the fun of racing the traffic. adds a bit of spice and frustrates some miserable tintop prisoners..... Longer rides can be a right pain in the butt, so don't push yourself too far too soon....

Don't worry too much about upgrading yet, see if you stick at it. It can be grim in winter, but as long as you plan ahead clothing wise, it can be very enjoyable. Lots of bikes come on the market this time of year, eblag is the obvious. Lots of fine weather iders with nearly new bikes suddenly go off the sport when the rain starts getting colder. Plenty of bargains to be had, keep your eyes peeled.

Don't be attracted too bright shiny, no make bikes. Most of the Halfords lower end stuff should be avoided, check out your local bike shop for some more informed advise. Get the best you can afford, gear train wise as this is the stuff that'll add to your cycling experience. Hybrid sounds ideal, but if the roads aint too bad then a full road bike will make you fly.

I'm an all year round cyclist, (both commuting and training) the weather does'nt phase me a bit, I'm lucky as I can get a shower at work. I only stop when the black ice starts.

Most of all, especially this time of year, take to the road with the attitude that every driver is trying to kill you. This will keep you alert and out of hospital !!!!!

[Edited on 11/10/12 by clanger]

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/10/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a bit like my commute.
I don't get super fit doing it, but I can eat more and feel healthy.

More thoughts suggestions in this thread. http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=144394

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/10/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Errr.... every driver IS trying to kill you, they simply don't care, life is cheap to them. Most won't notice if they crash into you, as they update their Facebook profiles or text away. Be careful.

Cycling's great, I only started again to get around the motorsport circuits before an event. However, the haemorroids are really getting bleedin' serious. It's on my old road bike with a razor sharp saddle, so hoping I'll find a comfier thing to put on it next year.

johnH20

posted on 11/10/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Some good advice above re clothing etc. Cannot over rate the value of good padded shorts even for commutes. From a fitness perspective I would suggest a heart rate monitor if you are as serious as you sound, a bit of personal data logging! Easy to use and gives you insights to your condition that are otherwise difficult to understand unless you are very experinced. Good luck.
Andybarbet

posted on 11/10/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys so far,

I must admit, the 1st mile or so of my ride home is from work up to the A1M, I can beat most of my co-workers there, passing them in the big queue

I can certainly add a couple of miles onto the trip home once i feel a bit more used to the riding, i can detour off through another village so might try that in a few weeks time once fitness level increases. I will probably stick to the same route into work, dont want to be too worn out before i even start work

Advice taken on the padded shorts front, i will see if i can pick some up in the next few weeks, i will also keep an eye out on the Aldi/Lidl front, i could really do with a lightweight hi-vis waterproof jacket but looking on the internet, they all seem to be about £30, maybe worth the investment but would prefer a recommendation of one before buying blind/shelling out £30 & finding it to be rubbish.

Only thingim after this weekend is mudguards, definately a necessity in this damp weather

I will also take a look into the heart monitor idea, it hadnt even crossed my mind, im definately not overweight but it would be good to see whats happening inside, im trying to be a good boy & look after my body better than i have in the past..

[Edited on 11/10/12 by Andybarbet]

gottabedone

posted on 11/10/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I wear a wicking Altura jacket. It wicks out the sweat but keeps you dry buy all that you need under it in the winter is a base layer. There are some real bargains around on the the previous years designs etc but you still get the quality. I always wear gloves as well.

it's a great way to get out there and you can cover a surprising amount of miles on the lanes and tracks.

Steve

Simon

posted on 11/10/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you are riding a mountain bike, why not actually use it offroad. Get a local os explorer (1:25000), and see if you find find a few interesting routes to work via farmtrack, byway, bridleway, footpath etc - safer offroad away from traffic, route will prob be slightly longer and riding in mud is so much of a better workout. I have several routes, the biggest that I do is around 25 miles with only 2 or so miles on the road

If you're gonna do L2B, do the offroad one - 75 miles, the on road one is far too busy!

If you are serious for events, keep an eye out for www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk or evans ride it events as they are usually local rides with various distances etc

Also, if you have any local forest, see if they a) have a mtb club b) do organised rides c) have trails etc etc

If road riding, especially now nights drawing in, get decent rear lights/reflective jacket etc!

I would recommend you invest in waterproof socks (sealskinz), waterproof overshoes (cold wet feet very quickly induce misery), waterproof trousers/jacket and gloves (even if you carry them in a rucksack as an emergency, always nice to put some dry warm gloves on if hands starting to get cold )

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 11/10/12 by Simon]

02GF74

posted on 11/10/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet

I must admit, the 1st mile or so of my ride home is from work up to the A1M, I can beat most of my co-workers there, passing them in the big queue

be extra careful - there is a tiny minority of drivers that will deliberate impede your progress on the basis that they are stuck so you should be too!!

i have a few routes down in s. herts, off road i can tell you about (got them on gpx file)

check out ebay item: 170900368871 (cree xml LED lamp - i got one and it is brighter than Jimmy Savile's bling! )

jonabonospen

posted on 11/10/12 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't join up to any team that Lance Armstrong is involved with. That's my advice
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
roadrunner

posted on 11/10/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonabonospen
Don't join up to any team that Lance Armstrong is involved with. That's my advice

Like it.

As already said, wear bright coloured clothing and get some bright lights. I purchased from the Bay some Hong Kong cheap crea lights that take a week or two to arrive but work really well.
Also avoid busy main roads if you can, some drivers don't give a s@@t, only this week I had a run in with an Audi TT cutting me up on a mini roundabout and he nearly hit another car he was supposed to give way too. He turned out to be a frigging copper.

As for bikes, keep the mountain bike for the up coming winter months, and when the spring time hits treat yourself to a hybrid with disc brakes.
I managed to get a Boardman hybrid of Ebay, 2 months old for less than £250, it was like new when it arrived.

Carry spare inner tubes and a good pump and a puncture repair kit, and a tool kit.

But most of all, enjoy it. Have easy rides then some harder rides. The more you put the effort in, the fitter and stronger you will get. I have been commuting for 6 years now, it's a 15 round trip that I do just about 5 times a week, and I am nearly 41. I have been hit and ended up in hospital twice, but I still get straight back on to the bike as soon as I can.

Love it.

Brad.

[Edited on 11/10/12 by roadrunner]

roadrunner

posted on 11/10/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Boar dman-Hybrid-Comp-Bike-/261111868732?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3ccb7aed3c

Quick check brought this one up.

Brad.

[Edited on 11/10/12 by roadrunner]

whiz

posted on 12/10/12 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
hints and tips

Keep the bike in the shed so that its one less cyclist on the road spoiling the fun of drivers out for a blat in there kits nothing worse than a mobile chicane. lol only joking
roadrunner

posted on 12/10/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whiz
Keep the bike in the shed so that its one less cyclist on the road spoiling the fun of drivers out for a blat in there kits nothing worse than a mobile chicane. lol only joking

No, get more people on bikes, clear the roads for a nice thrash out.

RK

posted on 12/10/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Drivers want you out of their way. It was said above, but bears repeating. The trouble I think with some cyclists, is that they get a bit of oxygen deprivation going on, and forget they are surrounded by huge metal objects, driven by people who are barely coping through life, and you are seen as completely unimportant.

I have had MANY bike accidents (motorised and pedal), that were all self-inflicted, but the ones that I've seen that were not, were not pretty.

Don't worry about equipment for now; get out and enjoy yourself!

[Edited on 12/10/12 by RK]

Bluemoon

posted on 12/10/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet

be extra careful - there is a tiny minority of drivers that will deliberate impede your progress on the basis that they are stuck so you should be too!!

i have a few routes down in s. herts, off road i can tell you about (got them on gpx file)

check out ebay item: 170900368871 (cree xml LED lamp - i got one and it is brighter than Jimmy Savile's bling! )

"Do not look directly towards the light, it may cause damages to your eyes."

Good for other road users then...

02GF74

posted on 13/10/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
="Do not look directly towards the light, it may cause damages to your eyes."

Good for other road users then...

the intensity of light decreases according to the inverse square law I suspect it to be less bright than a car headlamp would be at the same distance.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.