Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 5PW engine advice please!
bennettimp

posted on 18/10/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
R1 5PW engine advice please!

Hi Locost builders,

My name is Scott and I have just joined the forums.

I am looking to buy a R1 engine 2002-04 5PW for my BEC project I have just started.

I have rang around a few breakers and had quotes in the £950 region, but then thats just the engine, no looms dash anything. I have a friend that got one on eBay but I find that site is always a hit and miss, does not abide with market price, someone can put one on very cheap but its a nail, and some guy thinks he will get silly money for his (talking in the £2000 region).

What I would then like to know from you guys that have bought them or currently have them is;

a) the value of these 5PWs, be it just the engine, or more complete BEC kits

and b) The best places to get them. I am based in the Midlands if that helps.

All help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

wylliezx9r

posted on 18/10/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm selling everything you would need to put a ZX9R in a BEC, in for sale section if your interested.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=175463 ://
Everything still in car and running perfectly and cheap.

Sorry for the plug
Dan

[Edited on 18/10/12 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

adithorp

posted on 18/10/12 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the usual places (like e-bay) you'll probably find Malc at Yorkshire Engines highly recommended on here. Might not be as cheap as an e-bay motor but he'll supply a complete engine and loom package and garentee it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

markyb

posted on 18/10/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
plenty on here will recommend Malc as the man to contact (including me)
renetom

posted on 18/10/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
R1

Hi
We have an Indy R1 with a 2001 carbed engine
Its a great engine , & with a few tweaks gave us 150 BHP on rolling road.
lighter & Maybe cheaper than a later one if you can find one with low miles.
good luck
René

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/10/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
The R1 is a good, solid, no oil surge, no problems, no grief engine. Good choice. It's also very compact.

I buy the bike, remove the engine and then sell off the bike parts, or the whole thing less what you've removed. This has many advantages, my opinion (worth nothing), since I get a full running known package. The plastics, in particular, are sought after.

More recent engines I obtain from crashed bikes. Plenty of these around. Normally the front wheel has impacted the radiator, the frames are cracked/bent, the engine may have gone down on its side (not so good, cracked end casings and possible oil starvation). There may even be some blood and skin on the side where a leg has got trapped. Even extensively damaged bikes will often have the engines running in what's left of the frame.

I'll dismantle the engine, sort out what's wrong, at least then it's known good. Your R1 engine will need gears replacing, since (in my experience) the dogs grind out quickly.

.....and yes.... that ZX9 must look tempting. A good solid lump.

maccmike

posted on 18/10/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
if these great guys cant sort you out, I personally vote for buying a complete bike.
bennettimp

posted on 18/10/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the responses so far,

Some useful information,

Yes the reason for choosing the R1 are some of those mentioned by motorcycle mayhem...

''The R1 is a good, solid, no oil surge, no problems, no grief engine. Good choice. It's also very compact. ''

Compact actually being my main reason, I have tried to do my homework, and went to see a friend with an R1 BEC.
I could see immediately that the size was about as big as I was going to get into my car....

Let me show you my project,

I am restoring this 1985 hand built Imp stiletto space framed car, which raced in the Wendy Wools super saloon series in the 80's, for competition in the next hillclimb season.

The engine needs to ideally be 1000cc for the torque and yet small and compact because there is very little room at the back. I will have to chop and change some of the bars at the back but it shouldn't be too hard.

Any more information on R1 engines is hugely welcomed. Thanks again, Scott.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 18/10/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
If I did it again I would go for the whole bike.
I've just had a quick look on eBay and there's several on there for circa £2500 for a 2003 which has done 18k miles.
To give you some idea, when I was looking for just the clocks for a 2003 5PW they were selling for £200.
I'd think you'll be able to make your money back.

Interestingly, I'm not sure how you would get on trying to get the bike registration onto the finished car ???

bennettimp

posted on 18/10/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
This is not for road use barkalarr, It will be a trailed race car only.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/10/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Previously a Maquire Stiletto?

As a self-confessed Imp nut, both steel and plastic versions (OK, so a Clan, lets not split hairs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWoLpDMZFts

I ended up putting a Fireblade (the old 893cc from a later Westfield project) into the Clan. Mounted in the passenger area with a short prop to a Sierra differential. Went very well (better than the *expensive* 1040 and JK 5-Speed), but they put into the Sports Libre class.... hey ho. Retained the road legality with a pre-Mot installation of lights, etc., each year.

I sold it to a chap in Northern Ireland, who simply drove it away on the wet-cut slicks with which it was fitted (!)

If I did it again, I'd transverse mount an R1 (it's short) behind the seats with a chain to a Radical diff carrier or similar.

But hey, I now run a Jedi (with an R1), too much to do, so little life.

bennettimp

posted on 18/10/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Previously a Maquire Stiletto?

As a self-confessed Imp nut, both steel and plastic versions (OK, so a Clan, lets not split hairs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWoLpDMZFts

I ended up putting a Fireblade (the old 893cc from a later Westfield project) into the Clan. Mounted in the passenger area with a short prop to a Sierra differential. Went very well (better than the *expensive* 1040 and JK 5-Speed), but they put into the Sports Libre class.... hey ho. Retained the road legality with a pre-Mot installation of lights, etc., each year.

I sold it to a chap in Northern Ireland, who simply drove it away on the wet-cut slicks with which it was fitted (!)

If I did it again, I'd transverse mount an R1 (it's short) behind the seats with a chain to a Radical diff carrier or similar.

But hey, I now run a Jedi (with an R1), too much to do, so little life.

Interesting to hear this Mayhem,

This imp was not a maguire imp but of that era, and of the similar design but using Formula ford 1600 corners, It had a 1040 imp engine originally suspended from an A frame from constructed at the back of the frame, which no longer exists due to it being changed to take a GSXR 1100 engine in the passenger area running a prop shaft to sierra differential.

It is my plan to mid mount an R1 engine so that the output shaft is almost in the centre of the car and have the chain run to a chain driven LSD mounted in the same sort of area the sierra differential sat.

Yes lots to do in life, so its a good thing im only 23 years young

[Edited on 18/10/12 by bennettimp]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.