Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Fault Code Reader
Brook_lands

posted on 19/10/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Fault Code Reader

As Locost Builders seems to be the location of all knowledge I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this one.

We have a poorly 1997 (R reg) Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in the household what type of code reader would I need as I'm getting conflicting answers. Some say OBD2 works from 1997, some say only from 2001.

Would this also be the same for our 1998 (S reg) 1.25 Zetec Fiesta?

Thanks

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 19/10/12 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure enough to be any help on the OBD version I am afraid but the collective may be able to help diagnose the fault.

What are the symptoms/engine type etc?

Rich

big_wasa

posted on 19/10/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Most ford's 97> have obd2 diagnostic functions.

I use a 97 mondeo ecu in my 7 and the obd2 is a great tool.

have you got an android phone ? Torque and a dongle does the job our do a search for a recommendation by british trident he recommends a good basic one.

[Edited on 19/10/12 by big_wasa]

Brook_lands

posted on 19/10/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Originally started as stalling at around 1500 rpm on the over run. Fitted different coil pack and it ran OK for about 30 miles. When started for the return journey it was totally lacking power and drivability. Got worse and worse until eventually it struggled to start and wouldn't idle.

Fitted new coil pack and now it will start and idle but lacks power and is not really drivable.

There is a good and reqular spark to each cylinder and the plugs look ok.

My list of possible causes is quite long so thought a £30 code reader could save a lot of time.

Possible causes.

Coil pack (despite being a new motorcraft one)
ECU fault
Timing out (cam belt trensioner fail / cam belt jumped a tooth)
Sensor failed (Cam position, crank position, temperature, throttle position, MAF....)
Fuel problem (injector(s), pressure, pump ...)

Brook_lands

posted on 19/10/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Most ford's 97> have obd2 diagnostic functions.

[Edited on 19/10/12 by big_wasa]

That seems to be the confusion USA started using OBD 2 in 1996 and it was adopted in Europe by 2001. For European cars, when a manufacturer switched varied.

Best guess is that it is OBD2 or EOBD (is there a difference) I've also seen something that suggests OBD2 is different from OBDII.

britishtrident

posted on 19/10/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
A 97 Ford may or may not be OBD II even if has an OBD II sixteen pin socket not all cheap dongles will work on some older Ford models.
OBD II is to almost all intents and purposes the the same as EOBD and JOBD.
OBD 2 is simply a misspelling of OBD II.

For a USB or Bluetooth dongle look for one on ebay that specifically features being suitable Fords. (ie do a search on Ford OBD Bluetooth or Ford OBD USB).

If buying a hand held scanner then even a cheap Autel or Memoscan would a safer bet than some unbranded item.
Although good basic hand held scanner such as the Memoscan U480 or Autel MS309 that will cover all protocols including the latest CAN Bus are available very cheaply with a view to the longer term it may be worth shelling out a few extra bucks for one that covers live data and freeze frame such the Autel MS509.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 19/10/12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Gendan ELM320 PWM protocol USB unit that worked with '96,'97 and '99 Mondeo's, I don't need it any more, you can have it for a small donation to my IVA fund. You will need to find software on the interweb, that shouldn't be a problem.

monkeyarms

posted on 19/10/12 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
copied from an earlier post from me when searching for a 98 1.4 fiesta zetec.....

I did a bit of reading and found which protocol my fiesta engine/ecu used: Ford J1850-PWM.
Then searched eBay and found a blue tooth OBD dongle that explicitly supports it. Was still a bit of a gamble but only £18.
It works fine.

Brook_lands

posted on 19/10/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help chaps.

40inches I have sent u2u

mark chandler

posted on 19/10/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Being able to read codes is one thing, from what you describe I would be inclined to check the fuel rail pressure, if its low expect codes for weak mixture, you also get these if you run out of fuel.

Daughter had a 97 zetec fiesta, it was OBD2 btw

Brook_lands

posted on 20/10/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Fault Code Reader - solved

Both Fiestas are definately OBD2. Thanks to 40inches for the code reader. The reader showed up a problem with the spark advance and lambda sensor. Turned out to be one of the spark plugs that had a crack in the metal body (never seen that before) so that cylinder was losing compression/ sucking in air which was confusing the sensors.

[Edited on 20/10/12 by Brook_lands]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.