New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Well About Time Too!!!
myke pocock

posted on 3/11/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well About Time Too!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-20177909
Slimy38

posted on 3/11/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've come across this a few times while on my bike, a fairly enjoyable national speed limit road is reduced to a 20mph crawl because some farmer has gone from one field to the next. I support our farmers and think they're doing a fantastic job considering the s*** they deal with from the supermarkets, but a bit of cleanliness can't hurt?
jollygreengiant

posted on 3/11/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I must admit, I have always wondered WHY farmers use their 'off-road' vehicles on the road, when they could most of the time just go from field to field.

Or am I right in thinking that sometimes farmers farms are nowhere near their houses/farm yards.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

theduck

posted on 3/11/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
And how do they get through IVA with all those sharp edges? ;-)
monck

posted on 3/11/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi lads i work on a farm we have 1000 acres the land near the farm itself is mainly for grazing are crops are further away ..

We waited and waited to cut are maize hoping for the land to dry up, in the end ran out of feed and had no option and went in ...

Before we started we contacted the police told them we were going to bring alot of mud on the road they were not interested ..

So we paint around a dozen signs "mud on road " "slow" ect ect !! put them up ...

Days were utter misery had to 1/3 full are trailers so they didn't sink out of sight .
Had to have are big tractor pulling everyone out all day long
Another tractor had a big spinning yard brush (Bought day before for this job) on the front cleaning road
second tractor with 2300 gallon tanker full of water washing road all day

Despite are efforts local roads were unrecognizable with the amount of mud had to tow several arctics up a hill as they could not get grip
Most of the public ignored the slow down and still came flying round then had the cheek to be on the horn behind the tractor with the brush cleaning the road ....

None of us wanted to do it it was a real **** few days at work .. (98hr week)

All the extra tractors cost money.. to cut another poor crop this year and it wont even last us until next year ..

its bin a bad year for British farmers

snakebelly

posted on 3/11/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Now all they need to do is start stamping down on the condition of their trailers as well!
JoelP

posted on 3/11/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monck
Hi lads i work on a farm we have 1000 acres the land near the farm itself is mainly for grazing are crops are further away ..

We waited and waited to cut are maize hoping for the land to dry up, in the end ran out of feed and had no option and went in ...

Before we started we contacted the police told them we were going to bring alot of mud on the road they were not interested ..

So we paint around a dozen signs "mud on road " "slow" ect ect !! put them up ...

Days were utter misery had to 1/3 full are trailers so they didn't sink out of sight .
Had to have are big tractor pulling everyone out all day long
Another tractor had a big spinning yard brush (Bought day before for this job) on the front cleaning road
second tractor with 2300 gallon tanker full of water washing road all day

Despite are efforts local roads were unrecognizable with the amount of mud had to tow several arctics up a hill as they could not get grip
Most of the public ignored the slow down and still came flying round then had the cheek to be on the horn behind the tractor with the brush cleaning the road ....

None of us wanted to do it it was a real **** few days at work .. (98hr week)

All the extra tractors cost money.. to cut another poor crop this year and it wont even last us until next year ..

its bin a bad year for British farmers

Good to hear the other side of the story. I really cant see how mud on the road can be avoided, would take ages to clean the wheels every time you left a field.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

monck

posted on 3/11/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly Joel P .. You would have to do it on the road its self no point still in the muddy gateway ..

I understand why public hate farmers. But most (Not all ) try there best to keep roads clean but this year has been very wet and there is no easy way ..

Farmers cant win people moan we go slow (sub 20mph) and are newer tractors can now do 55 kph i think a fasttrac can do 60kph and they moan were going to fast ???

chillis

posted on 3/11/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
The real point of this news story is to support the 'hidden agenda' of reducing the speed limit on ALL country road to 50mph and in many cases 40mph. Mud on the road on country roads has been a problem for many a year. On the land next to where I live they are putting in the groundworks for yet another housing estate, there's mud on the road everywhere not a single sign, have complained to the cops but they aint interested.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

myke pocock

posted on 3/11/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I live in rural North Cumbria and dont support the statement that "most ( not all) try their best to keep roads clean". There are many instances of entries into fields that are like a swamp (around here anyway) with little effort taken to lay a bit of hardcore to make it easy and relatively clean to enter and exit. Wernt the rules changed some time ago to sort this out? Yes, the poor weather hasnt helped but this is an old problem. You should see the state of my Locost after a rural road blat!!!
monck

posted on 3/11/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Myke i understand your anger

But like us 1000acers is alot of gateways you could hardcore them all , but the mud will still be on the tyers from the field .. Washing wheels before going on the road every load will never happen ..

I hated the state my tiger got in with the roads like this it looked like a farm vehicle :O

I just except i live in the country and this is part of living here, Farmers have to get crops in/move cattle or whatever it may be, to put food/milk ect ect on the shelves so i accept at certain times of year i have to slow down and put up with it and wash my car more often

Sorry if anyone takes anything the wrong way ..

Ryan

myke pocock

posted on 3/11/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ryan, appreciate the reply.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 4/11/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Having lived in the country for a large part of my life, I can feel for Myke and all farmers, they are having a real tought time this year. When you live in the country you get to know what the farmers will be doing and roughly when throughout the year. During the harvest season for example you know that there is going to be lots of farm machinery activity on the roads with harvesters, tractors/trailers etc. so should be making allowances for what may be aroud that next bend. Too many rural roads now are used as rat runs and most of the folk that whinge about tractors are simpy using the B-roads as a quick way home. I an honestly say that all the people I know who live in and around our area have no complaints about farm machinery on the roads, after all they have livelihoods too.

I can also se though that from the other side of the debate, when you have tractors whose drivers allow 15-20 cars to pile up behind them and make no effort to let at least some past when they have a chance to pull over. And when you do get past, the driver is on the phone!! I know that a lot of farms use contractors for some of the tasks such as hauling crops etc. and having had a run in with one I can see why standards can slip (long story for another day).

There will always be us and them when it comes to farming, and as long as there are those who give the industry a bad name then the debate will run on. I see where Myke is coming from but also disagree that 'the majority' clean up after their vehicles, I think there are more and more that aren't doing as much as they could or should, why? who knows, but for those that do I have every respect especially when the weather is as cr*p as it has been again this year.

Myke, I hope you manage to keep your stokc's bellies full over the winter, and here's hoping for a drier year in 2013

John

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

andrew

posted on 4/11/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
some people are never happy , just like to moan , just use a bit of common sence and let people get on with there job,or would you like tractors of the road alltogether so you can use the roads as a race track, even better ban farming let you all starve to death
scootz

posted on 4/11/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Mud on the roads is unavoidable, but there should always be warning signs and the farmer should clean it up as soon as is practicable.

Road cleaning attachments are available for just about any tractor.

Fail to adhere to either of these simple rules, then (IMHO) you get what's coming to you!

It's Evolution Baby!

NigeEss

posted on 4/11/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Despite being a biker I'm I on the farmers side here. A bit of common sense on country roads is all that's
needed. As mentioned, it's virtually impossible to prevent.

What does p!ss me off is that horses are allowed to sh!t anywhere. We have (apparently) the highest
horse population in the country on the Wirral and have had a few moments coming round bends in built
up areas to find horse sh!te all over the road
Carthorses used to have a catch bag so why not all ?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

skippad

posted on 4/11/12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I live in a country lane 300m away from a farm, i new this when i moved here, so i put up with mud on the road from time to time, that was 20 yrs ago before sat nav and a housing estate were built close by.
Now everyone with they're sat nav on uses road because its the shortest route home (most did'nt know the road existed till satnav told them)
Result is now bedlam with all the yummy mummies driving way beyond capabilities in 4x4's....to me its not occasional mud on the road its the nutters who drive on them!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Strontium Dog

posted on 4/11/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
Despite being a biker I'm I on the farmers side here. A bit of common sense on country roads is all that's
needed. As mentioned, it's virtually impossible to prevent.

What does p!ss me off is that horses are allowed to sh!t anywhere. We have (apparently) the highest
horse population in the country on the Wirral and have had a few moments coming round bends in built
up areas to find horse sh!te all over the road
Carthorses used to have a catch bag so why not all ?

I'm with you all the way. Around here the sods just come up my PRIVATE road and leave many a deposit outside my house and workshops. Dog owners get fined so why not toffs on horses?

I'm also with Monck about the mud! A sign to tell you it's there should do the trick, unless you aren’t paying attention to your driving that is! I've done some work on farms (but I'm not a farmer) and have had to use 4wd's to get in and out. It's just a part of rural life and if we want to keep eating then we need to make allowances, I consider Farming as essential works TBH

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.