Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter endurance in a se7en. Calling Hicost!
sebastiaan

posted on 10/11/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Winter endurance in a se7en. Calling Hicost!

Hi guys,

It seems I have been foolish enough to register myself to participate in this event: lots of snow!!, using the little plastic car (LSIS). Wife will be on navigation duty for the 2000km trip trough ice and snow in 6 days.

Now, I need some help. The car is a fairly basic touring spec now (full hood, doors, wipers but no heater), and I'd think some modifications are in order to help it (and those inside!) deal with the cold.

My current list:

* heater (!!!)
* screen demist plumbed in to heater
* 2kg extinguisher
* tow straps front and rear
* waterproofing the dizzy (car is pinto-engined)
* spotlight as reverse light
* light upgrade, the car uses B20d bulbs and is LHD. Any pointers?
* map reading light
* storage nets on tunnel
* boot box (as large as possible!)
* increase ride height to max, I'm thinking 25% rebound and 75% bump travel on the shocks. Ain't got a clue where it is at now to be honest....
* sump guard
* Winter tires. I can go down to 13's from the currently fitted 195/50R15's. I'm thinking something like 155/80R13's?
* covering everything in rust-proofing goo

Now, what have I missed and what kind of tool kit etc. should I take with me? Is taking a spare a good idea or would a can of tire goo be good enough?

Help!

This is a piccy from last year's event. We're typically up against 911's, Volvo Amazons, MGB GTs etc. This is going to be interesting and if I don't learn to properly catch a rear wheel slide, I guess I will never learn.

Confused but excited.

posted on 10/11/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Up-rated alternator , battery and electrically heated underwear.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

sebastiaan

posted on 10/11/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have actually been looking for heated socks and the like on ebay, so not a bad idea!

The entire thing started as a joke. I must say it feels a bit daunting now though

RK

posted on 10/11/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've done a bit of snowcross, and I just want to warn you that RWD in the ice is a lot more challenging than FWD. The FWD takes a bit of technique to get it to slide properly, but you can do it, once you learn how. Left foot braking is a must. Consider what boots you are going to wear, because the pedals will feel different, and you will have less room down there with them on.
wilkingj

posted on 10/11/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Heated bike clothing.
Decent battery
Snow Chains
Good headwear. ie thinsulate Balaclava or similar.
Decent Thermos Flask
Hand Warmer packs (reusable ones)
Some survival kit like survival bag etc.

A new Brain, as yours is obviously not working properly as you are seriously considering this Madness trip (Ohh fun trip really)

Hope you do it, and all goes well..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 10/11/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
that looks great fun, are you allowed studded tyres?

I seem to recall that when ever I have seen cars doing rally in the snow they always have really narrow tyres on them,... no doubt someone will be along in a minute to advise.

Where abouts is this taking place, and when?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

sebastiaan

posted on 10/11/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
A new Brain, as yours is obviously not working properly as you are seriously considering this Madness trip (Ohh fun trip really)

Hope you do it, and all goes well..

Well, the registration form has been sent and a deposit made....

I was hoping the heater will keep us nice and toasty (remember: I have a full hood!), but some testing is required I guess. Studded tires are not allowed unfortunatly.

Good shout on the thermal balaclava, thanks. I guess it might be easiest to jut wear our ski gear (no, not the boots and skis, but jacket & trousers).

The RWD issue has crossed my mind quite often the last few days. I'd have no problem what so ever doing this in a FWD car, but a RWD kit will be quite tricky. I now feel lucky I have only 200BHP/ton and no LSD!

KEep the good advice coming!

RK

posted on 10/11/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Narrow tyres and studs are a must in snow. Not so much for ice.
sebastiaan

posted on 10/11/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
that looks great fun, are you allowed studded tyres?

I seem to recall that when ever I have seen cars doing rally in the snow they always have really narrow tyres on them,... no doubt someone will be along in a minute to advise.

Where abouts is this taking place, and when?

20-26th of January. Start is near Enschede, NL. Finish near Salzburg, Austria. Lot of snow and mountains in between :-)

Tires indeed need to be narrow. I've checked with colleagues from Finland (they do get a bit of snow every now and then...) and an old friend who is a tire R&D engineer. As said, I think 155/80 R13's are in order.

Does anyone know what size was on the "original" seven?

[Edited on 10/11/12 by sebastiaan]

renetom

posted on 10/11/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
snow trip

definitely skinny tires see this to see the facts

Who needs 4X4 when you have one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=S4KrIMZpwCY
Good luck

renetom

posted on 10/11/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
lotus 1952

See the tyres on this early Lotus

renetom

posted on 10/11/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Dizzi

To waterproof the dizzi , use a rubber washing up glove 5 leads 5 fingers & just pull the glove over the dizzi
Use to do this on the early mini's , does not look much but it works.

sebastiaan

posted on 10/11/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
To waterproof the dizzi , use a rubber washing up glove 5 leads 5 fingers & just pull the glove over the dizzi
Use to do this on the early mini's , does not look much but it works.

Top idea and proper locost! Thanks!

steve m

posted on 10/11/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
That is a cracking idea! and bet it as the 5-8 pot guys annoyed
sdh2903

posted on 10/11/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
most important thing is to remember to take lots and lots of photos and post them all here!

Looks like great fun if not a bit chilly!

sebastiaan

posted on 11/11/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, photo's. Check!

Might have the possibility to shoot on-board video as well.

fullpint

posted on 11/11/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
4x4 drive trian conversion . Now that looks like fun, to watch, but I admire you for doing it mate. Good on you..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 11/11/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
No LSD?? Any chance of fitting one? It'd make a big difference in the snow/ice I'd bet.
sebastiaan

posted on 11/11/12 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
No LSD?? Any chance of fitting one? It'd make a big difference in the snow/ice I'd bet.

This is one of the things I've been wondering about. Whilst an LSD will increase traction, it will also increase oversteer and I guess I'd have enough of that already ;-)So the current idea is to take chains for if additional traction is needed and keep the current open diff in place, but I'd like to hear from people that have real-life experience on this....

Nickp

posted on 11/11/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

This is one of the things I've been wondering about. Whilst an LSD will increase traction, it will also increase oversteer and I guess I'd have enough of that already ;-)So the current idea is to take chains for if additional traction is needed and keep the current open diff in place, but I'd like to hear from people that have real-life experience on this....

I'm thinking if you have an LSD and good skinny snow tyres you're much less likely to need snow chains, which will make life much easier for you as they'll be a PITA to take on and off.

sebastiaan

posted on 2/12/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

the heater and demisting are in. Not tested yet as I've some wiring work to do to power the map reading light (a tenner from Ikea!, beats an expensive Avanti one and is LED powered, so won't get too hot to touch), trip computer and the organisation mandated GPS tracker. The boot box is also in progress and will hold around 100 litres, which is nice. Winter tyres sourced and mounted on 13" Ford Ka alloy wheels in 155/80R15.

I must say it is all coming together quite nicely. I am hoping to fire her up again sometime next week to do some fair weather testing on the heater and demister. It is around freezing at night so at least a preliminary test should be possible. I also have some draught-stopping to do as well, as the a lot of cold enters at the bottom of the doors. I might simply stick some foam to the side of the body where it meets the doors and be done with that. The hood also needs some additional poppers fitted along the top of the doors to keep everything shut at motorway speeds.

After all this, the rust-proofing still needs to be done and then I should be ready for scrutineering on Jan 5th.

The fun continues! (although the slight feeling of anxiety is also still there ;-))

sebastiaan

posted on 10/12/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Another update:

The heater is working. Seems to get the car nice and toasty at low speeds, but there are (still) too many drafts at higher speeds, so this needs some attention. Actually, I am happy that I modified the mini heater to have a variable fan speed as the normal maximum speed seem the be the "fukishima" setting I've not installed a heater valve to keep things as simple as possible, by the way.

The skinny tyres are on as well, 155's. We had a slight bit of snow and so far, all seems well. The grip level at these low temperatures are actually not that much worse compared to the Proxis T1's that are normally on the car. I am quite happy with that! She does look quite skinny from the rear though...

Lots of stuff still to do though, mainly smaller jobs such as a rear tow-loop (front loop is installed already), tripmeter and a footrest for the wife.

Only 5 weeks to go until scrutineering!

whitestu

posted on 10/12/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like great fun!

Good luck!

Stu

atm92484

posted on 10/12/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds really interesting. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

-Andrew
Build Log

sebastiaan

posted on 29/12/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atm92484
This sounds really interesting. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Me too!

This is turning out to be a lot of work! I am on the final stretch with car preparation though. I Fitted some extra poppers to the hood to try and keep the draft out and have mounted the Tripmaster yesterday. It sits neatly in a bracket between the handbrake and gear lever. Well chuffed with that, it is very easy to see and reach. Result!

I've also bought an intercom system which I'll fit to some ear defenders, essentially making a set of rally practice headsets the locost way! The intercom also has an aux-in, so it is possible to plug in an MP3 player for those long connecting stretches.

Towing loops front and rear are also in place now and the car is covered in ML tectyl (the rear suspension, which is out of sight) and in clear tectyl (engine bay chassis and front suspension). The clear tectyl will be removed once we've finished and should protect everything nicely against rust. I plan on taking the engine and box out once we return anyway to be able to clean everything properly.

A final mod to the car: I have just ordered a universal cat to try and reduce the noise and smell inside the car a bit. With the hood on, you tend to get some exhaust fumes in the car. I hope the cat at least reduces the HC-level inside the car to avoid headaches and unhealthy situations.

The wife and myself have had some quick tuition on endurance rally navigation by a semi-pro (he's done the golden tulip numerous times, so knows what he's on about). Lots and lots of stuff to remember and do whilst in the car; this is going to be very tricky! We've also lowered our ambition level from "not coming last" to: "finishing..." ;-)

I'll try to take some pictures to share with all of you.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.