Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery Charger / Conditioner Usage
Rosco

posted on 13/11/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Battery Charger / Conditioner Usage

I wondered how people preserve their batteries over winter or during infrequent useage.

I was always told never leave a battery charge switched on or 'unsupervised' due to the fire risk but now I have a Battery Conditioner which claims to be designed for "prolonged use". I'm still building my car but have installed my battery and tend to stick the battery conditioner on for a few hours each weekend when I'm about. I'm interested in what others do to stop their battery deteriorating.

Do you use of standard charger?
Do you use of a battery conditioner?
Do you leave your conditioner switched on 24/7?
Is my approach of a few hours each weekend sufficient?

By the way, I have a C-TEK battery Conditioner and a Powervamp battery.

MikeRJ

posted on 13/11/12 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I use a battery maintenance charger on my two bikes and they are left on almost all the time during the winter (occasionally unplugged if I need to use the socket for something else!). These are designed to be left connected to the battery and switched on unlike normal chargers which would boil a battery dry very quickly.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 13/11/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mines on and I'm away from home for 2 weeks. If there's a fault the fuse with blow long before a fire breaks out.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

designer

posted on 13/11/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I use small solar charging panels on both mine and they work brilliantly. Also got one on the lawnmower.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 13/11/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
You can leave on a C-Tek charger on 365 days a year but 1hr every 2 weeks should be more than enough.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Westy1994

posted on 14/11/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Banner Accugard Bike. Whilst it would not doubt be quite safe to leave on 24/7, I don't. If I don't drive the car for more than a month, then I put it on and it says its fully charged and then begins the maintenance mode this usually occurs within about 5 minutes of switching it on, if I were working on the car and used some juice without the engine running I would put it on for a short time again. Finally if I have only been on a short journey and had to make many start/ stops along the way ( calling into the shops, getting petrol etc etc) I would throw it on when I get home. Battery is just a Yuasa 20ah SLA type.

I dont see the point in wasting the electric charging it 24 /7( yes it might not be much - but every little helps as they say), I guess it would be useful if your car was in storage away from your property for extented periods.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.