Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Racelidz or AWS
SeanStone

posted on 20/11/12 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Racelidz or AWS

All the reacelidz stuff seems to be as safety compliant as the AWS stuff, but does anyone have experience with either to give a comparison on quality?

There is a pretty big difference in price between their stuff so if there isn't much of a difference i know where my money is going, but at the same time, i would rather pay more for a product that is safer

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Trackday___Racewear.html

http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk/

RK

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
you buy the one that fits you best. they are all going to be as safe as the other. I would strongly suggest getting a balaclava to keep the inside of the helmet fresh.
Nick DV

posted on 21/11/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Paying more for safety equipment doe not mean it will be safer! If something is made to a certain spec, then if it costs £100 or £1500 it is supposed to do the same job!

IMHO safety equipment is well overpriced!! The problem is that the majority of manufacturers/suppliers, have a 'captive' audience, and they assume that we all go by the reasoning of 'how much is a life worth?' - and they know it!! They put what price they feel like on said safety equipment with the knowledge that people will do anything to pay for that equipment. Those people just starting out in m/sport can be easily put off by this alone, because unlike many professional set ups, we haven't got bottomless pockets.

At my age, I am all for self preservation, and without a doubt one of the best pieces of safety equipment in recent years is the HANS device, but why is it so expensive?? Helmets range from a £100 up to over £2000, FIA race suits from £250 to £1500+ and so on, but if they are made to the same spec, what is the justification for the difference? If you are a professional racer that spends hours in a race suit/helmet, then probably the durability is a factor - but then again a professional racer probably has the budget!! Oh, and of course, there are those that are prepared to spend £'s on kit just to make a 'fashion' statement!! For a club/occasional racer such as most here, then as long as the kit meets the correct spec, then do exactly what RK suggests, make sure it fits, is comfortable, and do your best to take care of it!

I could go on (my soapbox subject), but that's my two pennies worth - for now

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

Neville Jones

posted on 22/11/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well put Nick.

I've questioned pricing in motorsport for too many years.

And HANS devices...I could make an exact replica of a £450-£750 item for less than £100 in my clave. But I'd end up in court real quick if I didn't pay the extortionate licence fee to the patent holder. This sort of vital safety gear should be free of patents, as it is vital in safety.

Cheers,
Nev.

Nick DV

posted on 24/11/12 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nev,

Good to see I'm not the only one You make a couple of good points, but I am surprised this post never generated more response though!!

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

SeanStone

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Came across this little deal. When I start racing I will be using HANS and I need a new helmet.

Looks to be compliant to all the latest regs for helmet + HANS deal

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3844&g=302633&p=302660&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm _campaign=RRS%20Helmets

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.